Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being an accountant, this is the first time in 15 years the wife and I spent more than an hour together on her birthday. 3/31. Saving an hour and a half a day not driving and saving money not buying lunch every day.
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a chipper. An industrial one and mulch it.
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Buy a chipper. An industrial one and mulch it.

I am trying to get all the flammable material away from my house and out of my yard. Mulching it doesn't help with that. I have actually removed all the mulch that the previous owner of my place had put out.

I might just haul it all further out into the forest. Let it all burn up before a fire gets to my property.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best thing for me personally is not commuting into NYC after doing it for 15 years. It’s like a semi sabbatical and honestly it’s very welcome. I’m enjoying seeing more of my daughters and am glad this is happening now and not when they’ve gone to college.

I’m also running more but I’m missing playing tennis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40 -60 % less heart attack admissions.

https://www.nytimes.com/...t-attack-stroke.html
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.

I see you point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally have one positive to report.

Since I’m now working at home I’m there and can keep an eagle eye on these subcontractors doing the work on the tornado damage.

Subcontractors came to fix my iron fence and gate which were bent in the tornado. I went out to look at what they did this morning and I noticed that the brand new gate looked really dirty and scuffed up, not to mention that they didn’t put it flush up against or as close to the house as possible, but instead left over a 6 inch gap between the house and the fence. And there were no keys.

So I took a couple photos with my phone and texted the project manager and said what the hell. He texted me back within 15 minutes, profusely apologizing, and said they will be out today to put in a brand new fence instead of trying to repair the old one. They were out today putting in a brand new fence.

The roofers had better a do better job tomorrow.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
I can’t think of anything positive. My motivation for doing all these tasks, starting a new hobby etc. is zero. I’m finding this quite hard to deal with.

Motivation is difficult. I’m trying to stay focused too. My girlfriend keeps putting off little things so she will have something to do tomorrow. Lol

I’m hoping it’s still a weather thing. I noticed the few nice days, or sunny days, my mood was far better. Wisconsin just takes too long to become nice outside. Winter is far too long.
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Grocery shopping is now being done properly. My wife is more of a browser, has a rough list in her head and tends to wander around the store somewhat. I'm more of a, this is the list, grab it all and get out sort of guy. Now we do it my way.

Your way sucks

I don't agree with a lot of the things you say. This response falls into that category.

Yup. I go from a list at the store. I do most of the shopping, but doing it from a list is so much less stressful. Sometimes I’ll call an audible, but mostly the coach calls in the plays

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s treating us well.

Grocery shopping is all online and delivered to our front porch. The vast majority of our meals are home cooked, not eating out. I get to actually see my wife and six month old son this quarter, because my school is online. My wife might cut the hours she works when she goes back so we won’t need grandparents to baby sit as much. Well still see them, but as most of our family works in the medical field, it will be a while.

The weather has been absolutely amazing this week so (avoiding everyone else like the plague), my wife and I have taken our son on two or three walks a day. My dad and sister are self isolated for the last month, and my mom will be “clean,” this week, and we’ll all be living sort of mixed together, so seeing their faces in person and not on FaceTime will be nice.

*That last point- I know people are going to flip. We’ve all been truly self isolating. My sister lives in the same house that my wife and son and I live in. My dad was living here as well, but then spent two weeks in his airstream on the river as an additional measure. We all sanitize too much. I understand the implications, but soon we’ll all be “living together.” *
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
It’s treating us well.

Grocery shopping is all online and delivered to our front porch. The vast majority of our meals are home cooked, not eating out. I get to actually see my wife and six month old son this quarter, because my school is online. My wife might cut the hours she works when she goes back so we won’t need grandparents to baby sit as much. Well still see them, but as most of our family works in the medical field, it will be a while.

The weather has been absolutely amazing this week so (avoiding everyone else like the plague), my wife and I have taken our son on two or three walks a day. My dad and sister are self isolated for the last month, and my mom will be “clean,” this week, and we’ll all be living sort of mixed together, so seeing their faces in person and not on FaceTime will be nice.

*That last point- I know people are going to flip. We’ve all been truly self isolating. My sister lives in the same house that my wife and son and I live in. My dad was living here as well, but then spent two weeks in his airstream on the river as an additional measure. We all sanitize too much. I understand the implications, but soon we’ll all be “living together.” *

I’m. It going to flip, ye5, but why? If you didn’t live with these people before, why do you have to live with them now?
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
It’s treating us well.

I’m. It going to flip, ye5, but why? If you didn’t live with these people before, why do you have to live with them now?
Long story short, in Mid February, my wife and I asked my parents if we could rent the bottom floor of their house to live in, because our upstairs apartment neighbors constantly smoked pot, partied, and played basketball late at night, and kept up our baby. Uncool.

When we moved in (last week of February), my whole family was living here. My parents just bought two condos downtown, that my parents were eventually going to transition into, but the condos aren’t 100 percent done yet, and 1of the 2 is completely gutted and unlivable.

When the stay at home orders came, my dad, wife, and I all got put on school and work from home (or no work). So we started self-isolating on roughly March 15 or so. My mom still had to go into work for awhile longer, so we didn’t want her bringing anything to us. So she self-isolated at the condo, my dad was living in the same house as us but because he’d seen my mom he wanted to play it safe and take 2-3 weeks completely alone, and once everyone is clean and isolated for those 2-3 weeks, which is almost over, they’ll move back in so they can have hot showers and a real kitchen.

Yeah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discovered I have twin 12 year old boys and they are kinda fun to hang around. Who knew?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been clearing out the back house to rent out and managed to put a lot of triathlon related stuff on eBay. My wetsuit sold quickly and the other items are still for sale.
With little traffic in the neighborhood, less trash has been tossed onto the streets which has been refreshing. My neighbors don’t argue which it odd because I think the husband beats the wife like he did one of the dogs.

Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
I am catching up on 5-6 years of neglected jobs around my house and property. Main one is FireSmart / FireWise'ing the place, limbing trees, clearing out brush, and other tasks to keep the place safer from wildfires. I was doing great until they put burning restrictions in place. Now I have to haul all that material to the dump, which forces me to leave my yard. Some challenging logic on those burn bans...

I think one of my biggest surprises is that my four kids, while stuck at home with each other, haven't had any major fights yet. They are actually helping with some chores every day which is unusual too.

Right now a forest fire would be a big deal. As if it isn't anytime. Good for you for thinking ahead to the next disaster.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Grocery shopping is now being done properly. My wife is more of a browser, has a rough list in her head and tends to wander around the store somewhat. I'm more of a, this is the list, grab it all and get out sort of guy. Now we do it my way.

I am guessing most of the time your wife does the shopping.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

I am guessing most of the time your wife does the shopping.

Nope, 95% of the time we go together. I've just learned to tolerate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
I am catching up on 5-6 years of neglected jobs around my house and property. Main one is FireSmart / FireWise'ing the place, limbing trees, clearing out brush, and other tasks to keep the place safer from wildfires. I was doing great until they put burning restrictions in place. Now I have to haul all that material to the dump, which forces me to leave my yard. Some challenging logic on those burn bans...

I think one of my biggest surprises is that my four kids, while stuck at home with each other, haven't had any major fights yet. They are actually helping with some chores every day which is unusual too.
Good idea...
I can’t even fathom being hit by a hurricane in the middle of this shit if it continues on.
I think I’ll move up my hurricane prep a couple months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much, working hard(er) from home. Best advise I heard other than the usual stuff was Decluttering (also learning new languages). Neither is in the works unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: What good things have happened from “Stay at Home” order [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
Years ago, I got gifted a how to juggle set. It came with 3 small bean-bags. Standing against the side of the bed makes it so I don't have to bend over and pick them up so far. Eggs are in short supply.

I taught myself years ago, using golf balls. I made the mistake of doing it in front of a full-length mirror, pretty sure it took twice as long because if it...lol

Juggling is fun cause it's muscle memory - years later, I can still juggle pretty proficiently, even though I don't regularly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this stage, I would stay nothing good has happened. My family enjoyed it for a few days, but they are beginning to turn on each other. I give my wife another week before she looses it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next