Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll admit I am occasionally guilty of riding off the front in group rides. The time I get to hop on Zwift is determined by my kids' schedules. As I get ready to ride, I'll fire up the companion app and see what group rides are starting in the next few minutes. Sometimes there is a ride starting shortly and no other group rides starting for another 45 minutes. If that is the case, I'm not waiting 45 minutes, so I may join the group ride that is starting shortly. Frankly, I don't don't care what the advertised pace is. I'm joining because its the only ride available at that time. If it happens to be a small group of less than 50 riders, I'll hang with the group. If I wanted to go solo off the front, I'd have just skipped the group.

If it's a 200 person ride; and a small group goes off the front; and I want to work harder, I may hang onto that group off the front. I consider these 10 people my own little group ride. Sometimes, the tables are turned and I end up in a small group off the back of the main pack. I don't care at all where I am at relative the leader. I just want to hang with a few people riding at the same pace.

I've never understood how a group of 10 people off the front of a 200 person ride hurts the 190 people. The best group rides are the special events that Zwift hosts (Tour of Watopia, ToZ, etc.). Those events are well-attended and have no ride leaders at all. Everyone finds their own little groupetto and finishes their workout.

I've heard all the reasons why people hate fliers. I just don't agree with (or believe) those reasons...
-It strings the group out because people want to chase,
-It raises the pace of the main pack,
-It's just bad form,
-etc.

People complain that fliers don't have the discipline to stay with the group. For me, it's not about discipline. It's simply that I don't care what those in the main group think. Selfish? Yes. Sorry?
No.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really have any beef with fliers on Zwift, but I def understand why it can be problematic.

If there's a group ride that's posted 'max 3.0 watts/kg', you go in thinking it'll be a good day for longer aerobic riding, and then all of a sudden, a group of 20 out of your 60 (no, I'm not exaggerating, I've def seen 1/3rd of the group go flier) just disappear right off the gate. And then the next 20 guys speed it up a little over 3.0 w/kg to sort of keep pace, and then next thing you know, your 60 person group ride is now a 20 person group ride. Not a complete dealbreaker, but that can get annoying enough to stop you from joining these things outright, since it's basically not the ride you signed up for.

Also, fliers really screw up long endurance group rides, like the ones that are 90-120 mins long, as usually most riders have plenty of extra capacity to go hard given that they're expecting to ride 90-120mins, but if a big group goes flier, you might have a huge number of them decide to go with the fliers for 60 minutes and then bail (yes, I'm guilty of having done that) which again totally screws up the whole point of the advertised ride.

I liked the Zwift fence a lot (haven't been riding Zwift lately), it did its job in the rides I did to discourage fliers (including myself) and made the longer group rides a lot more consistent. Is it back yet? I honestly found that one of the key best features of Zwift group rides - if you want to hammer without limits, just enter the countless number of races and go do that instead.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 7, 20 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOMOP wrote:
Apparently there is now a "video smoothing" option somewhere, don't know how much it improves things though.

It does fix the situation with the frame rate but this same algorithm also makes video quality really crappy. So pick your poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kostya416 wrote:
It does fix the situation with the frame rate but this same algorithm also makes video quality really crappy. So pick your poison.

It's not perfect granted but still better than riding in a cartoon. The AR stuff Rouvy is doing is looking good too.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Apr 7, 20 22:38
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
It's not perfect granted but still better than riding in a cartoon. The AR stuff Rouvy is doing is looking good too.

As I said "pick your poison". Whatever you prefer is up to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift never resonated with me. But after a week long trial of Rouvy I am hooked. Been on trainerroad for 6 years, and the 2-3 workouts I have done on Rouvy were the best indoor sessions I have ever had. I started with two rides I completed on a cycling trip in France last summer, and IMO it is legit. Was so cool to ride past familiar landmarks, etc. Add to all of that the option for a family membership, which is great for my wife and I. We have joined the premium plan and will quit trainerroad.. I am basically obsessed with Rouvy now.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Zwift never resonated with me. But after a week long trial of Rouvy I am hooked. Been on trainerroad for 6 years, and the 2-3 workouts I have done on Rouvy were the best indoor sessions I have ever had. I started with two rides I completed on a cycling trip in France last summer, and IMO it is legit. Was so cool to ride past familiar landmarks, etc. Add to all of that the option for a family membership, which is great for my wife and I. We have joined the premium plan and will quit trainerroad.. I am basically obsessed with Rouvy now.

If that is the case you might try our software. The software is free and so are 2 demo videos. We have the highest quality of the videos on the market and serve content in 720p, 1080p and 4K. Sales model is also flexible. It is either subscription or you can buy videos outright. Basic 720p streaming subscription is free. At least for now. The link is in my signature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for sharing!
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [Brent 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for anyone really for both platforms:

Can you ride on Rouvy (or Zwift) using erg mode without doing a training session- normally on a course?

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
I recently tried a free trial of FulGaz which is real life video footage to ride along to that reacts to your speed and show power, cadence, hr etc, but after trying a few routes I've ditched it as I prefer the inter-activeness of Zwift.
I've been looking at options and wanted to know more about Fulgaz. I will have to quarantine for two weeks going to work and wanted video and just be able to do long rides just to fill in time such as the Kona course. Maybe I will want to do some races at some stage but if your objective is to ride your bike and have some visual stimulation how did you find Fulgaz? Positives and negatives compared to Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:

Can you ride on Rouvy (or Zwift) using erg mode without doing a training session- normally on a course?

I do this all the time on Zwift with a Kickr. Here's how I do it with Zwift on PC with ant+. Start up Zwift. When the trainer pairs, unpair Controllable (Trainer) on the pairing screen. Pay attention during pairing as the game does a short countdown after successfully pairing so you don't have much time to deselect Controllable (Trainer) although you can still do that on the World Select screen but I've had issues this way where the pairing screen shows while riding and I cannot make the window go away. Select world and route and start the ride. Obviously, do not select Training. Select Menu on the bottom left then Settings on the right. Move the Trainer Difficulty setting to 'off'. Pair trainer via iPad app. Start riding then switch to erg mode in the iPad app once up to speed.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks!

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
....For me, it's not about discipline. It's simply that I don't care what those in the main group think. Selfish? Yes. Sorry?
No.
Gobsmacked

So you rely on group rides for company (or you'd just do a solo ride when there was no suitable group - right?), but don't feel the least bit bad that you're abusing the intended use of those rides, and likely harming the experience for others?
You take what you can get from these rides but screw everyone else whenever you feel like it.
Why couldn't you simply quit the event and ride along separately if you feel the need to do your own thing. A group ride with an advertised plan and pace should be respected. If it's not what you want then do something else.
What I don't get is someone admitting to selfishness but declaring they're not sorry (i.e. they don't really care how they impact anyone else). Does this not strike you as simply an admission that you have no integrity, and no sense of social responsibility. Do you not feel this is a failing you should address?

Are you complying with social distancing, or does that not suit you either?
Sure it's an entirely different level of importance, but it's exactly the same concept. Individual cooperation, despite personal inconvenience, for the good of the community.
I think it's fair to call your attitude "parasitic".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:

On Zwift, just pair the trainer as a Power Meter, and not as a Controllable (I used to do this all the time when doing Xert workouts with Zwift scenery)
Last edited by: lemos: Apr 15, 20 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:

I don't know if there is a way to directly do it in Rouvy, but there is a very easy way to do it if you have a Garmin, you ride the course but do erg unit through the headunit, it works perfectly.
So you have the visual of the course but can still dial in your workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Mont Ventoux the other day on Fulgaz. I liked the experience - except all the climbing, tired legs and pain and stuff. Video was 4k so really good. Downside is you aren't interacting with anyone because there aren't any others actually riding with you. You will pass people or get passed but only if the guy that was filming the ride did that.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate that's what I wanted to know. As I say I will be locked down for two weeks going to work so there will be a lot of miles at my easy pace just looking for some stimulation. I was thinking more Kona and IM UK is on the catalogue so I'll start there and then some classics.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there categories in the Rouvy Races? I was thinking of trying out one, but everyone seems to be lumped together.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there are categories also (as has already been mentioned) there is no drafting, so it's like a mass start TT.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I click on Ironman tab, I only see a few listed (4 I think). I think only 1 full. Am I looking in the wrong place???
There website mentioned 35?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
I'll admit I am occasionally guilty of riding off the front in group rides. The time I get to hop on Zwift is determined by my kids' schedules. As I get ready to ride, I'll fire up the companion app and see what group rides are starting in the next few minutes. Sometimes there is a ride starting shortly and no other group rides starting for another 45 minutes. If that is the case, I'm not waiting 45 minutes, so I may join the group ride that is starting shortly. Frankly, I don't don't care what the advertised pace is. I'm joining because its the only ride available at that time. If it happens to be a small group of less than 50 riders, I'll hang with the group. If I wanted to go solo off the front, I'd have just skipped the group.

I've never understood how a group of 10 people off the front of a 200 person ride hurts the 190 people. The best group rides are the special events that Zwift hosts (Tour of Watopia, ToZ, etc.). Those events are well-attended and have no ride leaders at all. Everyone finds their own little groupetto and finishes their workout.

People complain that fliers don't have the discipline to stay with the group. For me, it's not about discipline. It's simply that I don't care what those in the main group think. Selfish? Yes. Sorry?
No.

I do the exact same thing.

Whatever group is starting when I'm starting the ride.

I'll admit, I do enjoy the comments.
Last edited by: rubik: May 17, 20 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Signal8 wrote:
....For me, it's not about discipline. It's simply that I don't care what those in the main group think. Selfish? Yes. Sorry?
No.

Gobsmacked

So you rely on group rides for company (or you'd just do a solo ride when there was no suitable group - right?), but don't feel the least bit bad that you're abusing the intended use of those rides, and likely harming the experience for others?
You take what you can get from these rides but screw everyone else whenever you feel like it.

How is following a group off the front "harming the experience of others," when said "others" apparently want to do the same thing?

Since when is it feasible to meet the whim of each one of dozens, if not hundreds of other people?

Seems a very unrealistic expectation. Especially for a video game.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy vs Zwift [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Group rides are so varied with only a few where the leader really controls the bunch. Even then it pays to be at least 10 meters in front of the leader or the will sail past when they either attack or just with the double draft.

Today was meant to be a C ride, the ride leader went hard so it split, we ended up in a bunch of 12 that did an hour of power as we were ahead. The split happened mainly due to the ride leader taking it out to hard.

The 12 went at it for an hour and we had 6 left, it didn't hurt the ride and we would have ridden with the bunch had the leader not put in 4.5 w kg on a 3 w kg ride.

My response when the leader says on one big group ride, everyone sub 2 on this down hill, why are you doing 4.2 w/kg
Quote Reply

Prev Next