Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Virus safe racing (outdoors)... time trials? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
rruff wrote:
I'm not training any less... what else is there to do?

As a single father of two young kids, I can't help but laugh at this statement. I wish I had time to train, but, as it stands, I'm barely getting anything in right now

Let junior help you bag some KOMs...

Quote Reply
Re: Virus safe racing (outdoors)... time trials? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d be interested to hear views from any long standing race directors/time trial organisers about these ‘informal’ events. Specifically the issue about liability when someone has an accident/incident. Are the events risk assessed/insured etc. In the UK they would probably be illegal because there are certain legislative requirements in organising time trials on public roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Virus safe racing (outdoors)... time trials? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely doing that here--local shop has been doing a 'segment' each week (this is already the 3rd 'stage'). The shop has a strava club so the owner posts the route/segment and you have from Sat-Sun 5pm to ride the segment--you can ride it as many times as you want BUT it has to be solo and you have to click "I'm in" on the Strava 'event' page. It's been a lot of fun-plenty of online banter but more importantly getting people out to ride solo. The shop doing this is giving out gift cards based on age groups.
Quote Reply
Re: Virus safe racing (outdoors)... time trials? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Last year I did the 12 hour race at the World time trial Championships (in Southern California) and it was self or friends sag support, no volunteers, except maybe 2 officers at intersections. Very spread out on the 20 mile course. This year the race is scheduled Oct 9th weekend. I'm thinking if IM st George is cancelled, that will be my 1 race this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do riders congregate before & after their ride?
Pre-race meeting?
Awards ceremony?
Spectators?
Course marshals?
Volunteers?
People still need to be in close proximity to one another.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Virus safe racing (outdoors)... time trials? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their cars.
Nope.
Not necessary.
Very few.
Motorcycles (maybe). Someone at the turn.
Marking off the name, and handing the numbers... that can be done "cleanly".
Actually they don't need to get close or cluster, or hang out around each other for any length of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not going to happen. People congregate.
What about shelter in place? No groups larger than 10?
Not USA Cycling santioned? The licensed riders will probably avoid.
What insurance company would cover an event right now?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Virus safe racing (outdoors)... time trials? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't say right now... June.

People don't *need* to congregate for TTs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Wednesday Night World Championships ride in my town. There are a couple of common loops. Now the route is posted on Wednesday morning and you just show up and ride sometime during the day. At the end of the day someone summarizes the Strava times for the day. There aren't many 30 miles Strava segments, so it is pretty easy to pick out who showed up.

Wind and traffic can be factors, but sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next