Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back
Quote | Reply
I always put my cleats way on my cycling shoes.
But they are still too far forward for my linking (Northwave Tri shoes)

Don't want to really go midfoot but 1 cm further back .
What shoes allow this?
(budget 150 eur)

Or are there adapters hacks to place the cleats further back?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [Jo O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the speedplay adapters.

What pedals do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo O. wrote:

What shoes allow this?
(budget 150 eur)

As mentioned, if you run Speedplays then there is a cheap adapter plate that will allow more fore-aft adjustment.

As far as shoes go, check out the carbon options from LG (like the LG Tri Lite). They allow for more fore-aft adjustment than most other shoes and you should be able to get them well within budget. They are great shoes too.

https://garneau.com/...te-iii-shoes-1487299

If you go 1 cm back of your current position, be sure to drop the saddle 1 cm as well (and the cockpit, too). I recommend against mid-foot placement - it completely screws up most people's bike sizing and I'm skeptical of its benefits.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 5, 20 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scott tri shoes, maybe the road version’s as well, have quite some range to get your cleats pretty far back. I think, without drilling, the most of all shoes i can think off.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you would drop the saddle by a full centimeter because the cleat went back 1 cm? I don’t think Max knee extension would be an extra centimeter shorter if the cleat went back a centimeter.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without any other data to make a better determination my answer is yes, I'd go a full cm. I might change my mind once I take a look - it just depends.

You reach for the pedals by extending the knee, extending the ankle, and dropping your hips. Looking at the knee only gives you a portion of the story.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of Bonts about 10 years so I don't know if they have the same construction now, but my cleat mounts were simple T nuts embedded inside the sole. I just drilled a second set of holes in the sole and moved the cleats back
Last edited by: nickag: Apr 5, 20 19:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Without any other data to make a better determination my answer is yes, I'd go a full cm. I might change my mind once I take a look - it just depends.

You reach for the pedals by extending the knee, extending the ankle, and dropping your hips. Looking at the knee only gives you a portion of the story.

Maybe saddle 5 mm lower and 5mm forward and split it....technically I think it would be 1 cm x sin of 73 degrees lower and 1cm x cos of 17 degrees forward...so based on that 0.9cm slower and 0.3 cm forward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I modified my Shimano RC7s just last week as I wanted to try the Speedplay cleats further back and I wanted them mounted direct to the shoe. I was using the adaptors but they only provide an extra 14mm (I think) and you can’t use the aero covers. Anyway, T-bolts are cheap on amazon and then you just need a knife, drill, tin snips and a steady hand. I have pics if you need. I think it works better on some shoes than others as the sole shapes vary so much. If there is space to move the cleat back on your chosen shoe then you should be able to get creative and do it yourself. MTB cleats or speedplays are easier to move than something like shimano as the rear bolt hole spacing is closer together.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assioma look keo style
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Jo O. wrote:

What shoes allow this?
(budget 150 eur)

As mentioned, if you run Speedplays then there is a cheap adapter plate that will allow more fore-aft adjustment.

As far as shoes go, check out the carbon options from LG (like the LG Tri Lite). They allow for more fore-aft adjustment than most other shoes and you should be able to get them well within budget. They are great shoes too.

https://garneau.com/...te-iii-shoes-1487299

If you go 1 cm back of your current position, be sure to drop the saddle 1 cm as well (and the cockpit, too). I recommend against mid-foot placement - it completely screws up most people's bike sizing and I'm skeptical of its benefits.

I had a traditional bikefit.
KNPS style
Not going full midfoot.
But a have the feeling I am pushing on my toes
On flat pedals I always place them further back under my foot.
This may also be beneficial because the knee does not come up so high (hip angle)

Garneau is a brand that is not easy to buy in EU.
Did I read they went out of business?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read about 3 or 4 days that they'd filed for bankruptcy protection.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/...tection#.XouySerTU0M

So not the same as shut.
The web site is still up for online orders AFAI can tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go. I have two pairs and love, love, love these shoes because they have stopped my neuroma pain. I ride in the midsole cleat postion. $149 US

https://lintaman.com/...ng-shoe-version-2-0/

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI to anyone considering these, I ordered a pair on February 10 and received no updates. I emailed the company March 7, no response. Emailed March 18 and they responded with an apology that they are dealing with coronavirus issues. Which is understandable, but they did not even provide an update on my order. I'm considering asking for a refund.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
FYI to anyone considering these, I ordered a pair on February 10 and received no updates. I emailed the company March 7, no response. Emailed March 18 and they responded with an apology that they are dealing with coronavirus issues. Which is understandable, but they did not even provide an update on my order. I'm considering asking for a refund.

My first pair came after 3 weeks and the second pair took closer to 5. My correspondence has been similarly slow. I have ordered other parts (I forgot to order the converter plates for Look cleats initially) and they were slow to arrive as well. The good news is that they eventually got to me.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes that allow cleats far back [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Guess I just need to be more patient :)
Quote Reply