Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice thread! great idea to move away from the constant barrage of bleakness!

For me, riding outside with fewer cars - I did a ride on Saturday with my wife, didn't care about efforts or speed, just for the enjoyment of being on my bike in the sunshine. It reminded me how much I love riding a bicycle!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric, you make the assumption that some on here including myself and people closeby have never suffered real depression. I believe different points of view are important so yours are welcome. Telling people to go fuck themselves (me) is unneccessary and talking down and your bully behaviour is not really neccessary . Many of us are losing a lot right now all thru life (you don't really have an idea, so maybe better steer clear of direct personal accusations). Really what I wanted to have here is a place where maybe what some people are doing, like the beach ride a few posts up on the Oregon coast can help lift our spirits and maybe keep us out of the complete downward spiral. It has already helped me (thanks to everyone who has contributed some of their experiences) and I know it has helped some very close friends in the past.

In any case I hope we can all get through well. I may be use the hope of exercise and racing as an outlet from the real world of paying employees, people around us dying, loved ones stuck in remote places with no way of getting home. Sport is a nice outlet. If some here can use it as an outlet then that's great. If you want to participate and just talk about the things you're holding out hope for, that's fine too. There are many things I am holding out hope for, unrelated to sport to make the world better which I don't share on this medium. My life is about way more than sport than most here won't see. But I/we need to get through this without the dark side of our brains taking over (if possible). If some of the discussion here keeps us diverted for that future day, that was the intent.

ericMPro wrote:
(Note to all: 1. I’ve met Dev personally and considered him a friend. 2. Dev is an all time great poster here. 3. While I am admittedly over the top with stress and uncertainty these days, I have reserved the right to deploy a choice retort every now and then well before this all started, so this is not (much) out of character)

Dev, a dissenting viewpoint if you don’t mind.

It’s like I told you on Facebook. I don’t think I was the only one. You, your self righteous self and this self righteous post.

There actual people suffering actual loss out here in North America right now. Not just death, but dying alone. Not just grief, but not even to say goodbye.

And yes, many of us *are* struggling, it’s true, but it’s *not* because of any of the reasons you list. I’m sorry that *reading*, tangentially, and at a large and privileged distance, about *other* people’s suffering has hurt your feelings, ruined your race schedule, and that you need to project your need to handle your issues on the whole forum. I’m sorry that the gym and pool is closed and you have nowhere to take yourself selfies. I’m sorry.

Here’s some attention for you: It’s not about you. You could have written this same post differently and gotten the supposed desired effect but I can’t help but think you wanted it this way.

Well, I’m your huckleberry.

Finally (albeit not me personally), for the other people out there who suffer from *actual* depression (you apparently have NO idea) even in the bluest and sunniest of days and even whilst in the midsts of achieving success and glory or even average stuff, I say go fuck yourself again. This post is an insult.

How about have a little effing empathy and ask people how they’re doing, instead of trying to shove this drivel down our throats.

Eric

devashish_paul wrote:
Hi STers,

I think many of us try to live with the glass half full mentality, but during this time it can be really hard. From all angles we get bombarded with what is not possible, lots of people dying, business closing, people getting laid off, a constant stream of negative media, and to a large extent, while under stress, many of us spiraling into attack mode and unleashing a lot of negativity to those around us.

Amidst all of this, it is tough to hold our lives together. Many of us are goal oriented...in sport, in business, in academia, with our families, with our finances.

Suddenly we have a big void of concrete goals on all fronts. The world is uncertain, we have no concrete goals in many aspects of life, we're isolated from human contact, families are under stress, and you can't make heads or tails of life ahead.

So its easy to lose hope that it will get better.

I wanted to start a thread for those who want to hold out a positive outlook. Whether that's having an awesome workout on the trainer, taking an afternoon nap because you can, getting jacked up about shaving a second off an interval split on the treadmill, getting out in your yard and seeing the most blue skies in your life, or the kid in the grocery store on minimum wage risking Covid to check you out at the cash...whatever you want.

Just post positive things that happened to you, or positive things you are looking forward to, or things you are getting motivated by.

Please don't post anything about Covid19 infection rates, numbers, deaths or what politicians are doing or not that affect our sport. Let's keep it decoupled from the other 100 threads on that.

With that, I will start.

The trails in the small forest near my house are almost free of snow. I have a loop through there that I used to do intervals on for over 20 years. Today I ventured on there (we are allowed to run outside here in Canada). There was no one on there. Totally solo. There is a steep uphill and a steep downhill on part of it. In 1999 I used this loop to train for the toronto marathon. I finished top 25 there (OK OK, soft field, but what the heck). I am literally running 90 seconds slower per km today than back there, but on a trail alone, with a blue sky its almost nothing changed in 20 years. Same person, same trail, same sky, same sport.

For a moment it was like coming back to an old friend from 20 years ago. I can't see human friends, but that trail run, it was like an old friend. I went up to the local track from 20 years ago and did some 200m repeats. I did not time them (don't want to know how slow I am), but it was like going to visit another old friend since I can't see human friends.

I was hoping to dial back on running after 100/100 and launch into a big swim block for masters swimming nationals, but that got canned.....but as part of the stress relief I have been running daily and I logged the three biggest running weeks (for me) in my last 7 years. So that's the positive from all this.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 7, 20 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I said your post was insensitive to other people suffering from depression. I did not say or imply that you or others don’t. I feel your post is self-centered and I’m calling you on it.

My “authority” to do so is not that I know anything about depression, I’m not an expert. I’m a member of this community who thought your post was insensitive to others. I felt like it had to be said, and someone had to say it. I felt obligated.

I agree I could behave better. You are correct. Point taken.

In my defense, there are certain rare times, which I won’t list here to avoid a false equivalency, when a GFY is warranted. Drawing attention to yourself and your “suffering” by criticizing others and their suffering, and then making their “negative” behavior the central point of your thesis or impetus for a “positivity” thread is one of them.

As for bullying, at least I’m being direct and saying it to your face. Requiring a positive thread predicated on the invalidity of other people’s stress and negative thoughts is indirect bullying IMO.

If you wanted a positivity place, why not model good behavior, be the change you want to see? Why didn’t you just say so? I hear you... I need some positivity too. This is what irked me. There are other ways and tools at your disposal to keep that hypothetical thread curated and in topic, which I know you know.

Eric

devashish_paul wrote:
Hi Eric, you make the assumption that some on here including myself and people closeby have never suffered real depression. I believe different points of view are important so yours are welcome. Telling people to go fuck themselves (me) is unneccessary and talking down and your bully behaviour is not really neccessary . Many of us are losing a lot right now all thru life (you don't really have an idea, so maybe better steer clear of direct personal accusations). Really what I wanted to have here is a place where maybe what some people are doing, like the beach ride a few posts up on the Oregon coast can help lift our spirits and maybe keep us out of the complete downward spiral. It has already helped me (thanks to everyone who has contributed some of their experiences) and I know it has helped some very close friends in the past.

In any case I hope we can all get through well. I may be use the hope of exercise and racing as an outlet from the real world of paying employees, people around us dying, loved ones stuck in remote places with no way of getting home. Sport is a nice outlet. If some here can use it as an outlet then that's great. If you want to participate and just talk about the things you're holding out hope for, that's fine too. There are many things I am holding out hope for, unrelated to sport to make the world better which I don't share on this medium. My life is about way more than sport than most here won't see. But I/we need to get through this without the dark side of our brains taking over (if possible). If some of the discussion here keeps us diverted for that future day, that was the intent.

ericMPro wrote:
(Note to all: 1. I’ve met Dev personally and considered him a friend. 2. Dev is an all time great poster here. 3. While I am admittedly over the top with stress and uncertainty these days, I have reserved the right to deploy a choice retort every now and then well before this all started, so this is not (much) out of character)

Dev, a dissenting viewpoint if you don’t mind.

It’s like I told you on Facebook. I don’t think I was the only one. You, your self righteous self and this self righteous post.

There actual people suffering actual loss out here in North America right now. Not just death, but dying alone. Not just grief, but not even to say goodbye.

And yes, many of us *are* struggling, it’s true, but it’s *not* because of any of the reasons you list. I’m sorry that *reading*, tangentially, and at a large and privileged distance, about *other* people’s suffering has hurt your feelings, ruined your race schedule, and that you need to project your need to handle your issues on the whole forum. I’m sorry that the gym and pool is closed and you have nowhere to take yourself selfies. I’m sorry.

Here’s some attention for you: It’s not about you. You could have written this same post differently and gotten the supposed desired effect but I can’t help but think you wanted it this way.

Well, I’m your huckleberry.

Finally (albeit not me personally), for the other people out there who suffer from *actual* depression (you apparently have NO idea) even in the bluest and sunniest of days and even whilst in the midsts of achieving success and glory or even average stuff, I say go fuck yourself again. This post is an insult.

How about have a little effing empathy and ask people how they’re doing, instead of trying to shove this drivel down our throats.

Eric

devashish_paul wrote:
Hi STers,

I think many of us try to live with the glass half full mentality, but during this time it can be really hard. From all angles we get bombarded with what is not possible, lots of people dying, business closing, people getting laid off, a constant stream of negative media, and to a large extent, while under stress, many of us spiraling into attack mode and unleashing a lot of negativity to those around us.

Amidst all of this, it is tough to hold our lives together. Many of us are goal oriented...in sport, in business, in academia, with our families, with our finances.

Suddenly we have a big void of concrete goals on all fronts. The world is uncertain, we have no concrete goals in many aspects of life, we're isolated from human contact, families are under stress, and you can't make heads or tails of life ahead.

So its easy to lose hope that it will get better.

I wanted to start a thread for those who want to hold out a positive outlook. Whether that's having an awesome workout on the trainer, taking an afternoon nap because you can, getting jacked up about shaving a second off an interval split on the treadmill, getting out in your yard and seeing the most blue skies in your life, or the kid in the grocery store on minimum wage risking Covid to check you out at the cash...whatever you want.

Just post positive things that happened to you, or positive things you are looking forward to, or things you are getting motivated by.

Please don't post anything about Covid19 infection rates, numbers, deaths or what politicians are doing or not that affect our sport. Let's keep it decoupled from the other 100 threads on that.

With that, I will start.

The trails in the small forest near my house are almost free of snow. I have a loop through there that I used to do intervals on for over 20 years. Today I ventured on there (we are allowed to run outside here in Canada). There was no one on there. Totally solo. There is a steep uphill and a steep downhill on part of it. In 1999 I used this loop to train for the toronto marathon. I finished top 25 there (OK OK, soft field, but what the heck). I am literally running 90 seconds slower per km today than back there, but on a trail alone, with a blue sky its almost nothing changed in 20 years. Same person, same trail, same sky, same sport.

For a moment it was like coming back to an old friend from 20 years ago. I can't see human friends, but that trail run, it was like an old friend. I went up to the local track from 20 years ago and did some 200m repeats. I did not time them (don't want to know how slow I am), but it was like going to visit another old friend since I can't see human friends.

I was hoping to dial back on running after 100/100 and launch into a big swim block for masters swimming nationals, but that got canned.....but as part of the stress relief I have been running daily and I logged the three biggest running weeks (for me) in my last 7 years. So that's the positive from all this.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread Dev

Thank you

Thank you from a long time severe depression having individual
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, by defintion bullying is directed at one person. That's you personally shooting at me (you did tell me to go F&*K myself)

If you have a beef with this thread, and feel I am bullying the entire forum that's not bullying. That's something else. I think you have made your point, but I THINK the differences you and I have can be handled separately from the forum, but really maybe if we just avoid each other for a while calmer heads will prevail
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its sunny here and around 10C, roads are clear and we are allowed to ride outside as our Prime Minister is an exerciser and likely wants to allow us to keep doing this as long as we all are good citizens.

I blocked off 2 hrs mid day and will take the TT bike out and be thankful to be alive and be able to do it. Good news is there are no school buses on the road to be run over by (that was 2018) and for now, I am alive and can have some impact on the people around me for the remaining time on this earth (ideally no death on today's ride, no death from Covid in 14 days and a normal lifespan ahead, but need to live every day like its done today).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep doing what you are doing Dev.

Your eccentric and sometimes crazy enthusiasm for life is just what it needed these days.I for one,find your unique and unabashed ST ramblings far more entertaining and inspiring than any discussion on FTP,watts per kilo,bike fit or any of the other tech-geek related stuff that people seem to get so horny over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the thread, thank you Dev.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, this is about the only thread on ST that I now even bother to read. So good on you, Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well on a plus note I am hoping that no one participating on this thread ended up with a crash or dying while bicycling. I came home rubber side down after the first TT bike ride of the year (60 min ride + 6 km run mid day). Evening was 60 min again on the TT bike on my new rollers. Its these Elite Arione ones that are "dumb rollers" but with 3 levels of resitance. In the hardest level in the big chainring I can crank like I am going up Alpe d'Huez

I probably had a higher chance of crashing during my evening workout on a few intervals where I got carried away with 80's Pet Shop Boys playing the background with my head down in the aero but managed to recover.

I actually decided to do more rollers bike riding this winter, because I feel it translates to better bike handling (and thus safer) when I get outdoors. I did many years without riding my rollers so I felt this was a good time to mix things up. Every so often I have some "fear factor" on open roads after being run over in 2018, so I think anything that makes me more stable and control outdoors will just add to the confidence level.

Our city has shut itself down now till June 30th and banned gatherings of 5 or more so I had several employees ask me what it means about them coming back to work and I said, "Its out of our control....whatever we can do to keep ourselves motivated while we are working from home on the work front and the social stuff, I know there are things you all fill your lives with that are shut down and won't get back to normal....if we focus on what won't get back to normal, its going to be a downward spiral....see what you can do that is literally in front of you in the next hour or day to derive satisfaction from if not, June 30th can seem like forever"

Maybe we use the same strategy as in an Ironman....if you like at 140.6 miles its too daunting. Enjoy the next right hand entry or breath, or the next pedal stroke....chip away to 140.6. This feels like that. We have no clue when the finish line is and we don't have any idea who loses how much money, or whose lives get lost, or which jobs get the axe, or which government does what. But the nice thing is inside our personal workouts, we can control and enjoy them.

If anyone has any cool workout pics that would be nice too! I'll try to grab some on one of the upcoming runs.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride my rollers when I was pure cyclists, based in Europe, but left them behind when I moved into multisport. How do you like those? I am thinking about getting a set to help mix up my indoor riding. Would much rather ride rollers on an easy recovery ride, than use a normal turbo.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I used to ride my rollers when I was pure cyclists, based in Europe, but left them behind when I moved into multisport. How do you like those? I am thinking about getting a set to help mix up my indoor riding. Would much rather ride rollers on an easy recovery ride, than use a normal turbo.

Hey, that was my first reasoning for going back to rollers. The last few winters I was primarily swimmer. This last winter, swim was my primary and run my secondary sport. Cycling was my third sport and most of my rides were easy before build up to to Dubai70.3. For swim and run, they are skill sports so even when going easy you're doing the skill and training your brain, and I felt doing easy rides on the trainer was almost impossible for me (I just ended up chasing watts because I was too bored). So I cracked out the rollers. Then I was doing a build up for Dubai 70.3 and knowing I was going to be on a flat course for 2-2.5 hrs, I started doing roller rides in the aero position on my tri bike for an hour to just get used to staying aero given i would have no outdoor riding. Then I got the bright idea to ride the rollers with Gatorskins at 60psi to make it hard (which it was). But its not really that great riding rollers at low psi to create resistance, so I got these ones where I can go hard on the rollers (they claim at the hardest resistance at 40kph you can do over 500 Watts which I think is correct). I would estimate on the middle level, over my gear range I am going anywhere in between 160W and 350W but this is based on perceived exertion because I am not riding with a powermeter on my bikes only on my old computrainer. Once I re install my Quarq on my TT bike I will know for sure. The reason I did not install my powermeter on any bikes as part of my rehab was I did not want to get sucked into chasing too many watts too soon in my recovery and I figured it would be better to go by perceived exertion.

When I am on the concept2 rowing erg and the computrainer I chase watts and they are looking pretty good, so maybe time to put the powermeter back on the TT bike.

Back to this thread, I hope exercise it getting you all through the unknowns in our lives now. During exercise we're in control of something and I think that can feel pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good news? Today and yesterday I've been acclimitizing to the heat. Soon, I will have a massive plasma volume.
The bad news? Heat is defined as 81*F. :-/ I may have a ways to go to get ready for Texas heat.

It sure felt warmer than that.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Apr 8, 20 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this thread. While there is much about now that I don't love (being an e-learning teacher, my senior daughter's end of high school experience cancelled, constant anxiety about a loved one getting the virus), I do have something that I'm happy about right now. Very appropriate for this thread!

I had two surgeries this school year - hip labrum repair both sides, August and October. My rehab and slow return to exercise went faster than I thought it would. But when I finally got to the return to run program on January 1, it was incredibly frustrating. One step up and two steps back. Right at about the time the world was shutting down (early March), I started making real progress with my running. No set backs since we've been quarantined. I'm up to two miles pain free (and no pain the next day).

In addition to the nightly family dinners we are having, my running (every third day at this point) is the only thing I look forward to!

Thank you for starting this thread, Dev. You've always been such a positive force on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished a ride and the temps hit 97f which was the hottest I have been since late December in Botswana, and boy was it a shock. To think in a few weeks that will the be norm..oi! Still, I loved it and will be going out for more again this week.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: If You Want to Hold out Hope: Anti Depression Thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I just finished a ride and the temps hit 97f which was the hottest I have been since late December in Botswana, and boy was it a shock. To think in a few weeks that will the be norm..oi! Still, I loved it and will be going out for more again this week.

It was 2C here today. I used to think that training in the cold temp was a disadvantage with all the clothes and layers, however, I started seeing a high correlation between my performance in "A" events that I would travel to in the depth of Canadian winter. Aside from the swimming that is always in roughly fixed temperatures, what I did not realize that a lot of my run training and XC ski training (which is my winter bike training compliment) was done at much higher intensity than the summer due to the infinite cooling available. So I think my aggregate intensity during winter training CAN be higher when I choose to train hard in the winter.

But hey, I would be glad to take your 97F or Tom's 81.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running like many others on the forum has gone up a bunch. Typically 30-35 mile a week run slog given work travel, etc. I'm around 45-50 the last two weeks and feel good at 46 years of age. My wife has a peloton bike she uses religiously. I've done quite a bit of their strength and core classes early am or evening during the pandemic. They've been surprisingly good. I use a Yoga mat and stream through the app on the TV and have a medium and a heavier set of dumbbells. I do back to back classes, 20 minute core with a 20 minute arms/shoulders or legs or chest/back) and I am smoked after I am done. Good mobility and flexibility work. I always turned my nose up at the thought of using Peloton classes, but if you do intermediate-advanced, they will kick your arse and provide good injury proofing and mobility. Hope everyone is staying active and staying sane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric, If we can take a step back and look at what we both have in common: we're both athletes, we've put a good amount of our lives into racing to qualify for Kona, we're both military veterans, we get off on this sport, we're both husbands and fathers. I think aside from the military vet side, almost everyone on there has some of this in common. We all have a ton of differences and that's also what makes life interesting.

I want to thank you for editing your original post. Mainly we're all going through a stressful time and its easy for many of us to swing way into the wrong direction mentally. If we can use what we have in common to help each other, and if we can help others, that would be awesome. We're both served during wars at different times and your additional motivation to everyone in terms of staying calm and focusing on each of our missions while there is random enemy fire all around could be nice.

To everyone who has participated in this thread, I'd like to personally thank you. It reminds me of what my soccer coach used to say to us working as a team, "the team that bickers and blames each other at halftime, has lost the second half before they step on the field for the second half". I can come here at a daily "half time" and see how you all are planning to win in the "second half" and this is motivational.

Just my interaction with CPTChaos on this thread convinced me to get back on the rollers at 9 pm last night for an additional hour of traininig...once I was doing intervals, the entire world blocked out. I added work on the concept 2 rowing machine and had my biggest rowing day (only 8000m, but that's huge for me)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a terrific thread and great to read the contributions. It's hard to stay positive and I feel terrible for those who have or are suffering from this virus. It sounds horrific.

I'm not sure if I'm answering or posting from the right frame of reference, but here's what I'm thinking and/or doing to remain positive.

1. Using the lack of racing to get in a good round of traditional base work. Here in Florida we have pretty much year round racing across road, gravel, cyclocross, running, and triathlon disciplines, so taking a pause to get in some good ole mitochondria-building LSD base can be difficult...it's been a few years for me since I've done this! Gotta go slow to get fast.
  2. Enjoying the increased time with family. Our son lives about 45 minutes away and his job (like ours) has now gone 100% telecommuting, so he's moved back in with us for now. We're all getting along well, doing family activities (jigsaw puzzles; board games), and having a great time.
  3. Finally...finally getting around to the DIY home projects I've put off for ages. While I'm avoiding things that would require a trip to Home Depot or Lowes, there's plenty to do in terms of cleaning/organizing the garage, cleaning up the yard, pressure washing the house, purging years of business files, etc.
  4. Using the reduced workload to do more forward planning/strategic work for my business...I'm usually 100% focused on tactical delivery; now I get to plan and act more to position the practice for the next 5-10 years, finally get around to repurposing some past work into off the shelf products and services, etc.
  5. Related to this, as I look forward to a time when I can get back to a "normal" routine, I'm using this time to rethink what "normal" should look like in the context of work and nonwork goals, activities, etc.

I'm holding out belief that we will come out of this with more care, respect, and compassion for one another, and for those less fortunate. As a practitioner in work psychology, I'm very interested in how the nature of work will change going forward given many companies are being forced to use telecommuting work arrangements.

Again, apologies if this post doesn't get at the original intention of the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yeah, the guy just had a knife open up his chest and he is running sub 10 min miles which is barely a good day for me and I did the full 100/100. Well that definitely made my day. The rest of us have some hope!

Technically they use a saw....if we're talking about the bone. :=)

Circular or chain saw ??? No Texas Massacre from the look of it...the guy comes out from under the saw and surpasses all of us.

I am running 7x per week. Most runs are 10-14Km so I am ending up in between 70 and 84 km. I have been under no knives and saws and sub 10 min miles is around my average.

I actually did timed segments on a neighbourhood loop this week:

1km = 4:17
1 mile = 7:10
1.5 miles = 10:40
2500m = 11:08

When I was in the Air Force we used to have a 1.5 miles run in our fitness test. My PB was 7:08 (back in 1986). I think I can beat that time covering 1 mile which will be a small goal this week. As a point of reference 10:15 was what every cadet had to do to pass. Meaning all the cadets at Royal Military College of Canada (our version of West Point + Anapolis + USAFA) were at least 6:50 milers...even the fat guys.

I am doing some of these "faster for me" legs to try a 5km run TT soon if anyone on this thread wants to join in. Tom you could do it with a heart rate cap, although I dont know how much discipline you have (it sounds like you are a good boy, I am usually a bad boy and break my body during rehab).

I was feeling fat and out of shape so I decided to jog up to the track and see if my legs would go.

Set was the following with 100m jogging in between

4x100m
2x200m
6x400m
1x2400/2500
4x100

The 2400m (with an additional 100m tacked on to make it half of a 5km race) is the mile and a half from my military service fitness test.

So here were the splits

• 1000m 4:30
  • 1600m 7:05
  • 2000m 8:50
  • 1.5 mile/2400m 10:29
  • 2.5K 10:58

I am currently 10 lbs over my previous race weight as a triathlete. I think I better clamp down as I seemed to have gained 5 extra pounds during work from home from lack of movement and not having a standing desk. I also think that I burn way more calories on my daily swim than running. My running intensity is just too low compared to how hard I am able to swim daily.

I THINK that if I can lose 5 lbs there is a chance to get the 5km time under 22 minutes. on a good day without a ton of wind (it was 2C, I had a lot of clothes on, and no racing flats). The track was also one of those slow lose gravel tracks near the local high school. I think sub 7 min would also be in reach.

After doing a 13km run with the above set, I hit my Concept2 rowing erg for 6000m. I did a warmup and then 6x400m intervals at 95 seconds. Then as a test I launched into a timed 1600m and did that in 6:12.

So I am way faster sitting on my overweight butt than when I have to carry my weight around running!

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next