Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RAAM on Zwift - can you imagine a worse punishment?
Quote | Reply
A 3000 mile race on Zwift. I cannot conceive of a worse torture for my worst enemy.

https://www.facebook.com/RAAMraces/videos/623077888241545/

Last edited by: kny: Apr 4, 20 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: RAAM on Zwift - can you imagine a worse punishment? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link didn't work. But Zwift seems the wrong tool. It'd be cool to make an Rouvy MagicRoad so you get the real elevation profile and scenery. Someone who's done it can just send Rouvy the GoPro footage and FIT files.

Part of RAAM is the "America" part. I don't see how Zwift will model that well using their 2010's era videogame graphics. Even in the ad for the virtual one they're using real video of iconic American rural mountain roads.

Edit: Links works now.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 4, 20 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link worked for me...

As someone who did RAAM as part of a relay ream, I simply can not imagine how hard that would be. I was blown away by the guy who recently vEverested on the Alpe, but this is a couple of orders of magnitude greater. 3,000 miles and 140,000 feet of vertical...

All my body parts that live in the vicinity of my saddle are cringing in horror at the thought....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: RAAM on Zwift - can you imagine a worse punishment? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rouvy in theory would be better than Zwift, but it would be a herculean effort to sync 300+ hours of video footage with gps/elevation data. I did it for 200 miles of routes for Garrett County Gran Fondo, and it is a lot of work. Even if it was done time station to time station, as it surely would be, that is like 60 rouvy integrations. There is very likely good and complete GPS and elevation data for the whole route, but doubtful there is complete and corresponding video that matches that GPS that can be synched to it. Assuming gopros on the cars, the trailing support car swaps constantly and trade off to get supplies, etc, which makes integration next to impossible, and I doubt any rider has 300+ hours of gopro footage taken from their helmet. When I did it for the Gran Fondo routes, the Gopro and Garmin were mounted to the front bumper so all recorded identically for easy synch. Even so, it was still a chore to synch them up properly for Rouvy integration. I cannot even imagine lots of snippets of video from different sources (different cars). Massive task for what purpose: like 3 people to virtually ride RAAM?

I don't know what they'll do in Zwift, but it is surely a lot more practical to fabricate a virtual world based on GPS/elevation files than to integrate to Rouvy with video.

On top of that, RAAM is like the least scenic route in the world. Nothing but riding on the side of high speed highway shoulders with 18 wheelers whizzing past.

Zwift might be the better decision after all. Or, just calling a loss a loss and waiting for another year.

Regardless, insane to think that people want to ride their trainer for 3000 miles straight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Regardless, insane to think that people want to ride their trainer for 3000 miles straight.

You're probably right about Rouvy. Just the peanut gallery here.

Also right about that much trainer time. I've seen guys like Ed Veal doing a ton recently. They're special.

I have about a 2-hour limit her session. (And I have no problem with IRL ultras).
Quote Reply