Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever consistently bike 2x/day?
Quote | Reply
I've frequently heard of, read about, and trained 2x/day with running. An easy 4mi shakeout on workout days in the morning before an evening workout is common with runners. I never hear much about cyclists training 2x/day. I did some research and couldn't find a whole lot.

I understand that cycling isn't limited by impact, and so it's possible to do longer single sessions, but for those of us stuck indoors right now (and for me, I'm always stuck indoors except for weekends when the weather is nice), what about biking 2x/day to boost volume? I usually have two blocks of 60-90min/day to train, it's rare I have a 2hr block. I also find 90min to be the point where the trainer starts to really suck. Is there a benefit to doing a daily easy 60-90min ride in the morning (like a shakeout run) before an evening quality session? How would you structure a training week this way?

(I don't swim, and I'm a strong runner and only running 4x/week for ~4.5h right now to maintain while I build up my cycling and sort out some running injuries)

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever consistently bike 2x/day? [rucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done it sporadically in training, often when racing and always(duh) when commuting. When racing, two a days are structured as you mention with a 1-2 hr L1/L2 ride in the am and a crit or track race in the evening. Goes a long way to loosing up for the evening race and getting extra volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those of us who bike commute probably bike 12x per week. Twice per week Mon-Fri and then 1x per day Sat and Sun.

So yes, for sure. Normally one of my rides would have intensity and be longer depending on what other sports are going out as my shortest commute is only 30 minutes.

Go for it if it also helps your time management (often easier to make two shorter slots per day than one bigger one)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been doing this most days for 4 weeks now. I do my first session first thing, fasted. It’s very low intensity (1.5-1.8 w/kg) for 60-90 minutes and I use the time to catch up on the news (ugh) or chat.

My afternoon session is usually an organized Zwift thing. Might be a Tour stage (I think I did 10-12 of those in the Tour of Watopia), or a race or group ride, or maybe a set erg workout. I’m getting decent intensity on about 5 of these rides with 2 approaching TSS of 100.

It works out to about 325 miles/week of virtual riding (I’m staying indoors until the health care crunch passes). It’s a lot and I’m not sure how long I can handle it, (I’m 62) but my rides seem to indicate that my ftp is inching up (from about 250 to 270 watts).

It’s not motivating in the same way as getting ready for my next IM but it helps...

Give it a whirl....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above, this is standard practice for us commuters.

I'm 45 mins to work (fasted state), 45 mins home, the evening commute turning into interval sessions and lengthening as desired. Sometimes hopping on the TT bike on the turbo to finish off the session.

That gets me around 8 hrs biking in the weekdays, before the longer weekend sessions. All I do is biking though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes like others have mentioned when commuting to work. Did not do this all the time but for a few months late spring early summer it was well worth it.

30km each way. To work 1 large hill mid ride. Coming home is 2 large hills with the one mid ride and then up to the house.

Monday - To work tempo / coming home have to beat time to work.
Tuesday - To work easy / coming home easy
Wednesday - Repeat of Monday
Thursday - Repeat of Tuesday
Friday - To work easy / coming home as quick as possible to enjoy weekend.
Last edited by: BMANX: Apr 4, 20 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever consistently bike 2x/day? [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOMOP wrote:
As mentioned above, this is standard practice for us commuters.

I'm 45 mins to work (fasted state), 45 mins home, the evening commute turning into interval sessions and lengthening as desired. Sometimes hopping on the TT bike on the turbo to finish off the session.

That gets me around 8 hrs biking in the weekdays, before the longer weekend sessions. All I do is biking though.

Cool, I am not the only person who bikes how and then hops on the trainer for some hard controlled intervals. I'll often do easy ride home and then go straight to the basement and crank out hard intervals, then hop on the treadmill for a short 10 min cool down transition jog!!!!

I have also done the other way around and done an hour on the trainer before work with 30 min of intervals and then get on the bike after that for a final 20 min TT during my ride to work. This works well when the weather is cold and I hit my commute with a high core temp!!!! Kind of like the TdF riders, who warm up on the trainer and hit their TT's hard (at least that's what I try to believe I am doing)....then I arrive at work and the entire protour dream hits reality LOL!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rucker wrote:
I've frequently heard of, read about, and trained 2x/day with running. An easy 4mi shakeout on workout days in the morning before an evening workout is common with runners. I never hear much about cyclists training 2x/day. I did some research and couldn't find a whole lot.

I understand that cycling isn't limited by impact, and so it's possible to do longer single sessions, but for those of us stuck indoors right now (and for me, I'm always stuck indoors except for weekends when the weather is nice), what about biking 2x/day to boost volume? I usually have two blocks of 60-90min/day to train, it's rare I have a 2hr block. I also find 90min to be the point where the trainer starts to really suck. Is there a benefit to doing a daily easy 60-90min ride in the morning (like a shakeout run) before an evening quality session? How would you structure a training week this way?

(I don't swim, and I'm a strong runner and only running 4x/week for ~4.5h right now to maintain while I build up my cycling and sort out some running injuries)

you gotta do with what you have. Cycling 2x per day is better than cycling only 1x short.

you could mess around with "sleep low", e.g. intervals in the evening, no carbs afterwards. Next morning no breakfast or a protein/fat breakfast and an easy session. Carbs afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever consistently bike 2x/day? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before taking up tri in 2003 I was a pure cyclist. As others, I commuted to work on the bike. I lived 9 miles via country roads from the office back then.

Typically I would get up at 5am and get in 40 miles before work and another 20 after several times a week. If needed I could always jam it home pretty quick... Usually faster than driving. I was generally in the 4-500 mpw range back then.
Quote Reply