Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who here has actually been in a Foxhole?
Quote | Reply
Properly constructed with overhead cover

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where I come from, Fox live in a foxhole. So no. I've been in many fighting holes....
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gall1972 wrote:
Where I come from, Fox live in a foxhole. So no. I've been in many fighting holes....

Ok fine, but you mean fighting *position* surely...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me I was Navy but my son has, Army 27th Infantry Regiment 2000-2005
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few times over the course of my career.

The coldest I've ever been in my life was spending the night in fighting position in the NTA of Okinawa. It was a ridiculously cold spell for Oki so of course we didn't have any warm clothes, just the cammies on our back and a poncho. Just shivered to stay warm.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Apr 4, 20 4:38
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Thanks for the rides, and sorry about the dirty windows.

Slug. M60 gunner Weapons Plt, 2nd Bt/3rd Mar. KMCAS

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Thinking about organizational theory the Navy is fascinating. Hundreds or even thousands of people all working together for just one combat “unit”.

No parallel in Army or Marines, similar but smaller phenomenon in the Air Force and the support tail of just one fighter or bomber.

But you have been in a fox hole.... if you’ve done damage control drills or closed a compartment off.

Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Thanks for the rides, and sorry about the dirty windows.

Slug. M60 gunner Weapons Plt, 2nd Bt/3rd Mar. KMCAS

Do you guys spend a lot of time building up full-on, in the defense, fighting positions?

Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
A few times over the course of my career.

The coldest I've ever been in my life was spending the night in fighting position in the NTA of Okinawa. It was a ridiculously cold spell for Oki so of course we didn't have any warm clothes, just the cammies on our back and a poncho. Just shivered to stay warm.

Coldest night of my life was in a hole in Florida. Sunny all day and sweating while patrolling, soaked and freezing at night. Unbelievable.

I have lived in Watertown in northern NY since then and it doesn’t even compare

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say the worst "hole" were the ones we used early in OIF 1. Just long pits we dug for SCUD attacks. We called them mass graves, if we had actually gotten hit that's exactly what the hole would have become until the recovered our remains.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding of uk spec forces is that they have several hundred support staff dedicated directly to the support of the 4 squadrons, various branches of the military and security services who are not badged
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either or.. but never a foxhole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midshipmen 2nd class summer 1972 on our 3 week USMC indoctrination "cruise" which culminated in a mock amphibious assault on a beach in North Carolina. Followed promptly with some digging of holes in the Chowan river basin earth. I then spent one miserable summer evening crouched in this hole, sweaty and swatting bugs. Subsequently chose the navy over the corps. Go figure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11B light Infantry 1987-1990.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Thinking about organizational theory the Navy is fascinating. Hundreds or even thousands of people all working together for just one combat “unit”.

No parallel in Army or Marines, similar but smaller phenomenon in the Air Force and the support tail of just one fighter or bomber.

But you have been in a fox hole.... if you’ve done damage control drills or closed a compartment off.

Well now that you mentioned it I was the #1 nozzle man for our repair locker.
We did put out a small bilge fire once other wise that’s the only action I saw, did spend a lot of time hanging out in DCC drinking coffee and smoking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - USMC, my favorite? Filling in an already existing fighting hole while you dig a new one. E-tool, meet frozen ground. Ding.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [Litemike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Litemike wrote:
Yup - USMC, my favorite? Filling in an already existing fighting hole while you dig a new one. E-tool, meet frozen ground. Ding.

**like button**

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure

Dug em, including w/ 18" of overhead cover and grenade sumps at either end of the fighting position. Always nicer working if you've got pioneer tools and some pallets of Class IV to help you setting in your defense.

Inspected a lot more of em. Checking for: interlocking fields of fire; range cards properly done; grazing fire for crew served weapons walked off and true; FPF lines covered by wire obstacles; dead space covered by M203s and TRPs for company mortars. Protective wire obstacles strung at hand grenade range.

Been under indirect fire (mortar and rocket) many many times. Always nice to have a bunker to duck into.

On our crappy little FOB in Iraq we'd rigged a shower out of a old KBR singlewide we'd scrounged *cough, stole--but that's NCO business* We had a black water tank on the roof gravity feeding to the showers and sinks down below. Boy Howdy did that water get hot. One morning I was taking a shower and I could hear something that sounded like hammering on the side of the shower trailer. I thought it was the guys working till one of my NCOs ducked into the shower to tell me we were under direct fire assault and those were 7.62 rds coming thru the side of the shower trailer down by the sinks! Ran for the bunker wearing nothing but flip flops and a towel. Quit a little fight till we dialed up an Apache weapons team from Balad who hosed em down and made short work of that problem set.

Q: When do you stop working on improving your defensive fighting position(s)?
A: Never. You never stop working on improving it until you move to the next one and start all over again.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you think the first time you experienced being under fire
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The very first time I was under direct fire it was at the hands of the OH National Guard.

We (Regular Army guys) were running Summer Training evaluation at Camp Grayling, MI. Filling out what were then called 1R's to validate their proficiency. The OHNG's rifle battalion's Scout Platoon had been on a live fire range the day before and had NOT been properly cleared off the range. One jackass had left the live fire range with ammo pouches filled with magazines of live 5.56 ball ammo

So the next day, I and my NCOs were running a company level "movement to contact" blank fire training lane--where rifle companies (one by one) would come down the "lane" make contact with the 'opposing force' react to that contact by laying down a base of fire with one platoon and maneuver to a flank with their other two platoons.

Well the Fing scout platoon guy working as the OPFOR fired his first mag with blanks just fine--but then he reloaded from his pouch and opened fire from then on with live ammo! First live round blew the blank firing adapter off (they are designed to fail like that to prevent weapons from exploding in your face) and then he proceeded to fire down the hillside against us with live ammo! First I notice of it was when bullets started kicking up dirt all around us and you could hear the bullets buzzing by. One of my platoon sergeants was standing next to me watching the bullets kick up dirt and remarked "you know Sir I believe we're under direct fire!?" I got the "attacking" company stopped and under cover while calling my NCOs on our internal net. We ran around the hill and came up behind the guy and one of my NCOs tackled him from behind and we took his weapon away.

Big investigation.

Much like years later in actual combat. As a leader you're just too busy doing what needs to get done to worry much about it. You assess the situation and react as trained.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I dug a foxhole was in March/April 2003 when we went over the berm in Iraq, but it was more of a hasty fighting position. I was a crew dog at the time, so whenever we landed at the next phase line, we just popped open our camp chairs, dug a hasty and then a deeper one to stash all of our shit in case we had to go out on a mission with pax in the back. The nights there in March were fairly cool, so we lined up our four cots in the back of the Blackhawk and racked out inside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just quite a difficult thing to envision if you've not done it

Though equally thinking about it, probably wouldn't help as you'd be distracted from the task at hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, still an atheist.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here has actually been in a Foxhole? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Midshipmen 2nd class summer 1972 on our 3 week USMC indoctrination "cruise" which culminated in a mock amphibious assault on a beach in North Carolina. Followed promptly with some digging of holes in the Chowan river basin earth. I then spent one miserable summer evening crouched in this hole, sweaty and swatting bugs. Subsequently chose the navy over the corps. Go figure!

haha, that's a hole, not a fighting position! A good fighting position is like a home, always improving :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Sure

Dug em, including w/ 18" of overhead cover and grenade sumps at either end of the fighting position. Always nicer working if you've got pioneer tools and some pallets of Class IV to help you setting in your defense.

Inspected a lot more of em. Checking for: interlocking fields of fire; range cards properly done; grazing fire for crew served weapons walked off and true; FPF lines covered by wire obstacles; dead space covered by M203s and TRPs for company mortars. Protective wire obstacles strung at hand grenade range.

Been under indirect fire (mortar and rocket) many many times. Always nice to have a bunker to duck into.

On our crappy little FOB in Iraq we'd rigged a shower out of a old KBR singlewide we'd scrounged *cough, stole--but that's NCO business* We had a black water tank on the roof gravity feeding to the showers and sinks down below. Boy Howdy did that water get hot. One morning I was taking a shower and I could hear something that sounded like hammering on the side of the shower trailer. I thought it was the guys working till one of my NCOs ducked into the shower to tell me we were under direct fire assault and those were 7.62 rds coming thru the side of the shower trailer down by the sinks! Ran for the bunker wearing nothing but flip flops and a towel. Quit a little fight till we dialed up an Apache weapons team from Balad who hosed em down and made short work of that problem set.

Q: When do you stop working on improving your defensive fighting position(s)?
A: Never. You never stop working on improving it until you move to the next one and start all over again.

This what I'm talking about!

Imagine my surprise after years of doing this that there's thing called a CEE...

go figure

Quote Reply