Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swapping Race for Personal Challenge
Quote | Reply
Is anyone else swapping a race (which surely has been cancelled) for a personal challenge of any sort?

I was planning to do Ironman Florida 70.3 on April 19th. With the opening in my calendar and a desire to not waste a good build, I decided to do a 50K run on April 10th as a personal challenge and charity run to raise awareness and money for Feeding America. I'm up to $916 on a $1,200 goal (which I set totally arbitrarily). I'm running it with just the support of my girlfriend and we'll plan to stay well away from other people, which is allowed under our stay-at-home restrictions.

I'll share a link to donate if anyone asks (it is through Facebook and 100% goes to charity. I never touch the money).

But that really isn't the intent of the post. I'm curious if anyone else is swapping out to capture their fitness peak and what you are doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool. Good luck to you. I was thinking of going for Sufferland Knighthood in a similar vein as you are with your 5k.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for it!

I’m not terribly familiar. What would that require you to do? A lot of hours in saddle, I assume!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, before the lockdowns, there were a bunch of preachy asses on ST talking about how fake it was for people to say they had run a 1/2 or "done something" on their own as a personal challenge instead of doing the event.

Now, "events" are popping up (just like we said they would ) where you hand them money and you go do your "virtual" event and just link to your Strava activity and they ship you the medal. But, suddenly we're all good.

I'd like to see that same bunch of hateful and arrogant folks jump back on it now and hate on all the people making the best of it during weird times.

Funny how a day changes things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach has me running a 13.1 TT next weekend. I've never raced an open HM, but I'm sure this will be excruciating.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
My coach has me running a 13.1 TT next weekend. I've never raced an open HM, but I'm sure this will be excruciating.

You got this!

Come back and post how it went. Wishing you fleet feet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete-

Check this one out:

https://www.fosters.com/...rathon-success-story

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I think I’d lose my mind doing that many laps (600+) and I’d definitely change direction every 50 or so. I can’t imagine how sore he was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. It blew my mind to read about his adventure.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a lap sounds mind blowing, try lengths...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...mp/scotland/52138624
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is always one guy who goes out and outdoes everyone..

While one of my mates also did a marathon in his apartment in Brisbane a guy I know in the USA ran 100 miles in his living room this past weekend as part of his 100 miles every weekend for 100 weeks challenge..Fucking nutcase! :-)

https://www.facebook.com/...448592442?__tn__=K-R
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started a personal challenge at 4 distances

1000m
1 mile
1.5 miles (this was my old military fitness test)
5000m

I am going to be "racing each" at least once per week to give me a self test goal. I am almost 10 lbs over my former triathlon race weight, so that's making all of this rather challenging but I'll focus on improving vs my Covid19 times not my all time times (for obvious reasons).

I am also going to try to see what times I can get down for the 1000m and 1600m on the Concept2 rowing erg and how much faster those are versus my run times.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

1000m
1 mile
5000m

I am going to be "racing each" at least once per week to give me a self test goal. I am almost 10 lbs over my former triathlon race weight, so that's making all of this rather challenging but I'll focus on improving vs my Covid19 times not my all time times (for obvious reasons).

I am also going to try to see what times I can get down for the 1000m and 1600m on the Concept2 rowing erg and how much faster those are versus my run times.

Hey Dev,
I have completely thrown any sort of structured triathlon program out of the window and instead will be shifting to more of an fun general fitness six months or so.You will soon see a bunch of posts on my FB page of me dragging out all of my fitness equipment and doing lots crazy ass HIIT sessions on my local cricket oval which is only 100meters from my place.It is also close enough for me to carry my trainer over and do bike/run speedwork brick sessions just for something different.

The beach is about 500meters away so surf swimming,sand running and HIIT beach stuff will fill in anther few hours every week. I am doing a 1,400k Bikepacking "race" in November so it is night riding for me from now on.

I have no family alive in Oz anymore and live a solitary lifestyles so I might as well spend this crazy time working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is unbelievable. Before you know it we'll be seeing swimmers doing long swims in their kid's backyard pool.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff. My thought is to do the races I had scheduled on my own. I had a half marathon set for April 26, so yesterday I found a 3.5-mile loop on a road without traffic lights or stops where I can do my own "race."

I was scheduled for a 60-mile gravel bike race this weekend, but I came up with the idea too late to implement. Maybe I'll do it next weekend.

(We have relocated to a remote town near the Oregon coast and I can be outside without being near others.)

Maybe I will come up with some challenges. Not sure I have the dedication for a marathon around the yard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After consulting the weather forecast I moved my 50k for charity up several days and knocked it out yesterday morning. On a $1,200 goal I raised nearly $1,400 for Feeding America.

I’m sure it was quite pedestrian by ultra standards (just over 5 hours) but I sure the hell wanted to walk away from it and not become a medical liability. I feel great today, thankfully.

I started at 5:30 am with my girlfriend on a beach cruiser bike loaded with supplies in the saddlebags and a basket, all lit up. We managed a steady pace throughout and had a great course in terms of social distancing and avoiding traffic. I only got caught at one red light the whole time and we didn’t have to go wide around people too often.

I weighed myself before and after out of curiosity. I dropped three pounds (147.5 to 144.5) in spite of drinking about six pounds of fluid. The South Florida sun got us pretty good from miles 20-25 but then it was all shade through to 31.

So, now to dream up another race replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

1000m
1 mile
5000m

Hey Dev,
I have completely thrown any sort of structured triathlon program out of the window and instead will be shifting to more of an fun general fitness six months or so.You will soon see a bunch of posts on my FB page of me dragging out all of my fitness equipment and doing lots crazy ass HIIT sessions on my local cricket oval which is only 100meters from my place.It is also close enough for me to carry my trainer over and do bike/run speedwork brick sessions just for something different.

The beach is about 500meters away so surf swimming,sand running and HIIT beach stuff will fill in anther few hours every week. I am doing a 1,400k Bikepacking "race" in November so it is night riding for me from now on.

I have no family alive in Oz anymore and live a solitary lifestyles so I might as well spend this crazy time working out.

Hey what is the perimeter of your cricket oval. You may be able to do some cool workouts with your trainer and using the cricket oval as your "track". With the beach another 500m away, betweent the cricket oval loop, the trainer and the ocean you could do a solitary F1 style event!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping Race for Personal Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

1000m
1 mile
5000m

Hey Dev,

Hey what is the perimeter of your cricket oval. You may be able to do some cool workouts with your trainer and using the cricket oval as your "track". With the beach another 500m away, betweent the cricket oval loop, the trainer and the ocean you could do a solitary F1 style event!!!!

The oval is part of a big sports complex (Soccer,tennis,rugby,pool,etc) and it has a 500m path around it.I could swim in the creek next door but the local fishermen would get pissed off.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Apr 8, 20 19:36
Quote Reply