Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Infrastructure is a “bet” that we are still going to be here as a nation in 50 years. Roads, bridges, sewers... all of these need maintenance, upkeep, and replacement/repair. The U.S. has accrued a lot of deferred maintenance so there’s a lot of work to be done.

Regarding the prior economy, yes, it was healthy. Very healthy. But that’s not going to just come back no matter what anyone tells you. Significant damage has already been done. Further, I don’t think it’s very likely we are going to open things up in 2 weeks or even a month and whenever we do consumer behavior will take quite a while to get back to normal. Infrastructure jobs can provide a useful bridge.

For reference on consumer behavior, movie theaters in the US did $5,500 in ticket sales last week vs $200,000,000 a year prior. Even without a universal “stay at home” mandate, consumers have radically changed their behavior.

Just going to use this post as an opportunity to post my favorite factoid - China poured more concrete in 2011-2013 that the US did in the 20th Century.

https://www.forbes.com/...raphic/#6d884b814131

I agree with others who've said this will change behavior. At least through early next year there will not be a vaccine and there will still be local flare-ups of what will still be a deadly virus even if we solve every ventilator, testing and medical care issue we now face. Best case we try to start some semblance of the economy in late May I don't see any scenario in which it will be possible to go back to the sort of carefree exuberant consumption a lot of people had developed over the last decade. No-one's ingrained behavior changes in 2 weeks or a month but over a year...new habits and outlooks will form.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly believe we could use infrastructure work, but I don't see how it makes sense as C19 project. The only reason anyone is out of work is because of the virus. Those jobs and businesses will come back. Most of them have nothing to do with infrastructure construction and maintenance. Rather they are service and entertainment jobs. If they leave to work on construction, how will the original companies get them back when they need them?

$2T is about 10% of GDP for the whole year. If say the shutdowns cause a 30% drop for 2 months, and 10% for another year, then we'd need $3T total cash infusion to replace all the lost GDP. If this is targeted to where it belongs, no company or individual should go bankrupt over this. The initial $2T isn't targeted that well, but hopefully any addition will be better. Also not all the GDP needs to be replaced, but close.

Using my wife's spa as an example... they are forced to shut down. All the employees are laid off and making much more than they did before! Big screw up by the feds but no worries. The owner is also getting a UE bonus over their claimed salary, but currently there doesn't appear to be any relief for rent, utilities, or loan obligations, so the owner is going to be bleeding some cash. She'd need to undo the UE and put everyone on SBA-loan payroll to get relief for expenses, but this isn't nearly as good for the employees as UE.

When the spa opens again it will be tricky, since business will not return to normal for a good while. But if the feds are smart, they can deal with that as well. Use the SBA loans to pad payroll for as long as it takes.

So... bottom line is, it isn't great for the business owner, but it doesn't need to be a disaster. Everyone else will do great.

Overall, the only "pain" I see is a loss of profit during this period, which will substantially reduce earnings, but it will be temporary. I don't believe the stock market will care once the future is more certain.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
The unfortunate part about it is that Fed and Treasury will eventually run out of bullets to combat even bigger crises. Even Keynesians seem to ignore that he advocated for balanced budgets during expansionary periods.

The Fed is buying all the "debt" we need to cover this. Seems more like MMT than what we did before.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

So what does that mean? I don't know. It probably means the bottom isn't as low as I think it will be which is ~1600 on the S&P.

IMO, it probably means we are NEAR a bottom, but the end result will be re-inflating an even bigger bubble. Which will crash in 3, 5, 10 years from now again just like this one.

The unfortunate part about it is that Fed and Treasury will eventually run out of bullets to combat even bigger crises. Even Keynesians seem to ignore that he advocated for balanced budgets during expansionary periods.

Keynes offered the idea of countervailing fiscal and monetary policy because he thought that's what he could sell to politicians at the time. If you look at and understand his (limited) quantitative work, you'll realize that he was tinkering with what we now call MMT.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I certainly believe we could use infrastructure work, but I don't see how it makes sense as C19 project. The only reason anyone is out of work is because of the virus. Those jobs and businesses will come back. Most of them have nothing to do with infrastructure construction and maintenance. Rather they are service and entertainment jobs. If they leave to work on construction, how will the original companies get them back when they need them?

$2T is about 10% of GDP for the whole year. If say the shutdowns cause a 30% drop for 2 months, and 10% for another year, then we'd need $3T total cash infusion to replace all the lost GDP. If this is targeted to where it belongs, no company or individual should go bankrupt over this. The initial $2T isn't targeted that well, but hopefully any addition will be better. Also not all the GDP needs to be replaced, but close.

Using my wife's spa as an example... they are forced to shut down. All the employees are laid off and making much more than they did before! Big screw up by the feds but no worries. The owner is also getting a UE bonus over their claimed salary, but currently there doesn't appear to be any relief for rent, utilities, or loan obligations, so the owner is going to be bleeding some cash. She'd need to undo the UE and put everyone on SBA-loan payroll to get relief for expenses, but this isn't nearly as good for the employees as UE.

When the spa opens again it will be tricky, since business will not return to normal for a good while. But if the feds are smart, they can deal with that as well. Use the SBA loans to pad payroll for as long as it takes.

So... bottom line is, it isn't great for the business owner, but it doesn't need to be a disaster. Everyone else will do great.

Overall, the only "pain" I see is a loss of profit during this period, which will substantially reduce earnings, but it will be temporary. I don't believe the stock market will care once the future is more certain.

While our country needs a lot of infrastructure work, modern updates, repair/replace the current decaying infrastructure, etc. does this seem to be a bit like how FDR tried to pull this country out of the Great Depression? Create jobs by building stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. It worked. And it can work again.

First, keep in mind that infrastructure is essential. It's what makes life possible. Cities like New York and Chicago have critical water infrastructure that's running on fumes (think sewer and water mains). Sea walls are essential and in bad need of repair/replacement. Roads. Bridges. Electrical. These projects are difficult to tackle when times are good because inputs are expensive, labor is scarce, and logistics (think traffic disruption) are difficult. Now is a *perfect* time to address these issues. It's the definition of countervailing fiscal stimulus on every level.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is ZERO need to create jobs. Unemployment was very low before people were forced to stay home, and those jobs will come back. Creating a fed funded competing industry would make no sense. They wouldn't be able to work now for the same reason everyone is out of work, and later it would just cause more disruption.

The smart move is for the fed to intelligently cover individual and business losses for the duration. Padding unemployment was an idea I favored, but only to bring it up from ~50% to ~80% of a person's base pay. The $600/wk addition is ridiculous. Similarly I'd like to see businesses being able to get a low interest loan immediately, which can later be forgiven to cover rent, mortgage, utilities, and whatever else is necessary to stay solvent when they are shutdown, or running at reduced capacity. The reduction could be based the prior year's activity. Again this should cover a % of the loss, not the full amount.

If they are smart about it, nearly every business and person should emerge from this with little damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yes. It worked. And it can work again.

You sound like a politician stumping to get their pet project funded during a crisis...

Please explain how it makes sense in this instance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
There is ZERO need to create jobs. Unemployment was very low before people were forced to stay home, and those jobs will come back. Creating a fed funded competing industry would make no sense. They wouldn't be able to work now for the same reason everyone is out of work, and later it would just cause more disruption.

The smart move is for the fed to intelligently cover individual and business losses for the duration. Padding unemployment was an idea I favored, but only to bring it up from ~50% to ~80% of a person's base pay. The $600/wk addition is ridiculous. Similarly I'd like to see businesses being able to get a low interest loan immediately, which can later be forgiven to cover rent, mortgage, utilities, and whatever else is necessary to stay solvent when they are shutdown, or running at reduced capacity. The reduction could be based the prior year's activity. Again this should cover a % of the loss, not the full amount.

If they are smart about it, nearly every business and person should emerge from this with little damage.

I like your optimism, but some of those jobs may never come back, or if they do it will be a year (or 3) down the road.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
I like your optimism, but some of those jobs may never come back, or if they do it will be a year (or 3) down the road.

Yes, many will be depressed for a around a year, or however long we need to keep distance and crowding minimized. Which do you predict will never come back, and why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with the airlines. Global demand for travel will probably be depressed for more than a year. It would surprise me to get back to 2019 levels within 3 years. The big 3 in the US are planning significant furloughs for 6-12+ months. Just at the pilot level, that could be 10-15,00p highly paid, specialized people with no source of income. Sure, most of them should be ok, but their spending will not match pre-corona levels for a long time (18-36 months is my guess). That is just the pilots ... now add ground crew, gate staff, flight attendants, etc to that mix. That is a lot of cash flow through our economy that will not come back by the end of 2020. And, the airlines are only one part of the entire travel and tourism’s industry.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The feds seems to have signaled their intention to bail out businesses and individuals for as long as it takes. IMO this is the best thing to do, so long as they are smart about it. Everyone gets unemployment up to a high % of their wage, and businesses get a credit for expenses incurred while shutdown or operating at a lower level. No one goes bankrupt, and economic activity returns to normal as soon as we are able. If this is done, the negative effects will be minor. Primarily businesses will lose earnings during the shutdown, but they won't go under. And I believe air travel, vacations, sports, etc will come back with a vengeance as soon as it's deemed safe.

If however, they leave businesses and individuals to fend for themselves, it will be a disaster. Massive bankruptcies and permanent layoffs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I’m not sure I trust the fed to do much of anything for individuals (or for most companies to worry about anything beyond short term profits), and I’m pretty sure that unemployment insurance is not going to cover very much of a typical Delta or United FO or Captain salary.

I do like your optimism.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much retail never comes back? There are a lot of retailers who have been on the edge for years. Any seasonal inventory is out of season by the time they reopen. Loans won't help a business already struggling under heavy debt load. EVERYONE gets more familiar with online shopping. This could be the catalyst for the final seismic shift in retail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...DAaTTyh_LKx2sG1xhETc

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The feds seems to have signaled their intention to bail out businesses and individuals for as long as it takes. IMO this is the best thing to do, so long as they are smart about it.

Yup, good luck with that. Cue up Japan's "Lost Decade"

https://www.thebalance.com/...-and-lessons-1979056
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
How much retail never comes back? There are a lot of retailers who have been on the edge for years. Any seasonal inventory is out of season by the time they reopen. Loans won't help a business already struggling under heavy debt load. EVERYONE gets more familiar with online shopping. This could be the catalyst for the final seismic shift in retail.

Loss of inventory should be covered (ie it would be smart). The loan is just a temporary measure that will eventually be forgiven to the extent of the loss.

Isn't everyone already familiar with online shopping? I don't believe people will be any more or less likely to visit B&M shops when this is over... at least I know it won't effect me. I do almost all my shopping online anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

No relevance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

No relevance.

Why not? The aging of baby boomers is a factor in the economy for the next 30 years or so, and though the U.S. might have a significantly higher "debt cap" than Japan does for a variety of reasons, surely there is some level of Federal debt where it becomes a legitimate problem. I don't know what that is, though. 150% of GDP? 200%?
Last edited by: trail: Apr 4, 20 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon, it's one thing to point out differences, and another to reject any and ALL similarities. Add up all personal/corporate/government debt, our real estate prices propped up by speculation and government intervention, an unlimited willingness by the Fed to prop up literally everything.... Yes, there are differences, but there are big warning signs which you brush off at your peril.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the article you linked:

"Economist Paul Krugman blames the lost decade on consumers and companies that saved too much and caused the economy to slow. Other economists point blame at the country's aging population demographic or its monetary policy — or both — for the decline. In particular, the slow response of the Bank of Japan (BOJ) to intervene in the marketplace may have exacerbated the problem. The reality is that many of these factors may have contributed to the lost decade.
Following the crisis, many Japanese citizens responded by saving more and spending less, which had a negative impact on aggregate demand. This contributed to deflationary pressures that encouraged consumers to further hoard money, which resulted in a deflationary spiral."

Saving too much?
Not spending enough?
Central Bank slow to intervene?
Money hoarding?

RE isn't nearly as overpriced as it was in Japan.
The US has one of the lowest 65+ age demographics of any developed country.
We haven't been a net exporter for 40 years, rather the opposite.

Like I said, no relevance.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 4, 20 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Are we at the bottom of the market? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
surely there is some level of Federal debt where it becomes a legitimate problem. I don't know what that is, though. 150% of GDP? 200%?

Japan did not suffer a "lost decade" because their fiscal debt was large.

It becomes a problem when servicing the interest becomes large and everyone "cares"... ie no one wants US$ anymore. We have the opposite problem currently, and will for the foreseeable future. Frankly I think we should just go to MMT and be done with the debt shenanigans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
j p o wrote:

Loss of inventory should be covered (ie it would be smart). The loan is just a temporary measure that will eventually be forgiven to the extent of the loss.

Isn't everyone already familiar with online shopping? I don't believe people will be any more or less likely to visit B&M shops when this is over... at least I know it won't effect me. I do almost all my shopping online anyway.

It isn't lost inventory. It is inventory that is out of date by the time they reopen. Any Spring seasonal inventory gets shipped to the closeout retailer. And hopefully they didn't already have Summer seasonal things in.

Isn't everyone already familiar with online shopping?
Everyone is familiar with it, now more will be familiar with doing all of it online. And all you are saying is that you aren't the target audience for B&M retail, so your experience is irrelevant.

The point is, does someone like JCP ever reopen? They were already on the verge. Does any one of a couple dozen retailers that were teetering ever reopen? Those jobs were going away as fast as coal jobs already, but they very well may all be gone immediately instead of over several years.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next