Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool
Quote | Reply
The though went through my mind yesterday while doing my little run around the block.
Then I saw this this morning on a local IG tri athlete's page:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ejmsXBs36/

So how long before stores are out of thse cheap above ground pool models ;-) ?

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a similar picture yesterday of an olympian doing the same thing. I think she said she could only do 30-40 minutes because of the water temp even with a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't see the IG link at work. But, I have an above ground pool. I've done tethered swimming in it several times. Sucked balls. Wanted to put an ice-pick through my temple. yeah, the warm water in the mid-late summer gets to you. But, the boredom did me in before that became a real issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From one Canadian to another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvbVQGoMXf8
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another motivated chap:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-z64RJBCsS/

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed one this weekend. Intek 12' x 24' x 52" deep and the tether is going up this week. Going with the bike tube around ankle technique. We are cancelling the YMCA membership.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Above-ground pools are one thing, but I don't understand why people dig holes in their backyard to put a pool in, then do something stupid like fill it up with water

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 13, 20 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a hot tub, without the fun. Speaking of hot tubs. I had one. It was like a boat. The best day of my life was when I got my hot tub and the second best was when garbage man took the last chunk of that POS about 8 years later. Chopping it up with a chain saw was a bit cathartic but still a major PITA.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Sounds like a hot tub, without the fun. Speaking of hot tubs. I had one. It was like a boat. The best day of my life was when I got my hot tub and the second best was when garbage man took the last chunk of that POS about 8 years later. Chopping it up with a chain saw was a bit cathartic but still a major PITA.

This is hilarious.my parents had a hot tub- I loved jumping in it but agree PITA for maintenance- maintaining the chemical balance was ongoing challenge and squirrels got in the insulation and eat the pipes causing leaks
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put one in the backyard, a 15' round one, 42" deep, finished it 2 weeks ago, been tether swimming in it almost daily (still pretty chilly water temp here in Tucson, wetsuit bottoms are nice to keep warm and keep the legs up.)

I'm a little worried about my water bill, but it is pretty awesome to be able to swim at home.

I set my garmin on "pool swim", and pause ~every 20 strokes just kicking (only swim with snorkel) to simulate 25 yards and its fairly accurate for yardage overall.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I can't see the IG link at work. But, I have an above ground pool. I've done tethered swimming in it several times. Sucked balls. Wanted to put an ice-pick through my temple. yeah, the warm water in the mid-late summer gets to you. But, the boredom did me in before that became a real issue.

If people get bored looking at a black line in a regular pool they should try tethered. I did it a few times. It was awful. Just awful.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you guys will buy an above ground pool [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
I put one in the backyard, a 15' round one, 42" deep, finished it 2 weeks ago, been tether swimming in it almost daily (still pretty chilly water temp here in Tucson, wetsuit bottoms are nice to keep warm and keep the legs up.)

I'm a little worried about my water bill, but it is pretty awesome to be able to swim at home.

I set my garmin on "pool swim", and pause ~every 20 strokes just kicking (only swim with snorkel) to simulate 25 yards and its fairly accurate for yardage overall.

So you're doing 25 yard repeats. That sounds like fun...I'm not sure why people don't do some ows with a wetsuit, hood, and booties. Most people are within around an hour of a lake or ocean. Anything above 50F is swimmable without a thermal wetsuit. Getting more familiar with ows and developing ows swim skills is directly transferable to our sport.
Quote Reply