Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training while on calcium channel blockers
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've just gone on calcium channel blockers (Verapamil 40mg 3x a day) for microvascular heart disease; along with atorvastatin and aspirin.

Anyway I seem to be tolerating them fine, unlike previous times on beta blockers, but I'm really finding it limiting my heart rate. I know that's part of what calcium channel blockers do, but my max hr was around 182 and now on the turbo it seems my max is down to 150-ish bpm. Power at that new max hr is only around what was FTP level and i just don't seem to be able to maintain that, or go much harder at all. 150bpm would have been lower sweet spot powers in the past. Really only ~140bpm feels sustainable effort wise on the turbo.

Am I likely to be able to increase my power or muscular endurance with the new heart rate limit, or am effectively going to end up detraining and losing power?

Although the max hr has been 'artificially 'lowered I would assume that working at a high percentage of the new limit would be unsustainable as it would be with my 'natural' max hr? It certainly feels it just now.

Is there an adjusting time with this?

I'm not racing at all, but outside of covid-19 restrictions I like endurance rides, road, gravel, mtb, so still want a reasonable FTP to allow me to work for a longer period without the power being too low, the hr being too high, and not hold my friends up too much.

Any experiences or thoughts appreciated.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Training while on calcium channel blockers [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you find out anything about this? I'm also on calcium channel blockers, and I wore a HR monitor for the first time in 10+ years n a race a few days ago. I was surprised that my max HR was about 15 bpm lower than 10 years ago. Some of that may be attributed to age (I'm now 58), but I'm wondering if these calcium channel blockers are limiting my performance.

---Francis
Quote Reply
Re: Training while on calcium channel blockers [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the rough guideline that max HR drops 1bpm/year? That lines up with what you're seeing
Quote Reply
Re: Training while on calcium channel blockers [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, in the end I couldn't tolerate them and came off them. My HR returned to normal levels, but I'm not riding as hard or as far anymore as I feel pretty awful when I do and get some sort of micro angina.

Hope things work out for you.
Quote Reply