Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you doing?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: minimal running (I've been on the bike a lot and am grateful to have that), get some research done.

successes! I had a good week (aside from not being able to run, and I miss the pool). I was super productive at work. I did a good job managing my anxiety when it hit.

M: 28 mi bike
T: 2 hr hike + 10 mi bike + 0.5 mi run
W: 42 mi bike
T: 40 mi bike
F: 6 mi run + 19 mi bike
S: 53 mi bike
S: 3.2 mi run + 43 mi bike

total of 9.7 mi run and 235 bike miles.
goals this week are the same as last.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ayyyy Go TC!!!! Congrats on last week.

I'm... tired. Last week, I reported that it's probably good that I can't swim, because now I have to focus on what I suck at, which is running and cycling. Welp, my coach noted that too. I am so. Damn. Tired. I want my rest day! Oh my poor legs! It was so hard for me to get out and run on tired legs yesterday, I sat around and whined for like 5 hours before I got my butt out. But, things are gong real well with my coach, because I just about used everything up yesterday, and after a good sleep, I feel better and ready for more. It also helps that I'm starting to feel cooped up and I'm wanting to get more excersize to dispell encroaching listlessness.

Here's this week:
M: Recovery ride
Tu: REST!
We: Run speedwork and leg strength
Th: Threshold ride and squats
Fr: Dry land swim strength (which has a curious number of lunges...)
Sa: Long ride, short run, and leg strength
Su: Long run and leg strength

(note the leg stuff, 5 days in a row. I'm not saying it's not good for me, but let's remember I came in 18th in the swim at my 70.3 last year and then barely made the bike cutoff... Such are the raw materials I'm working with here...)

Besides that, coronavirus news is getting serious around here. There have been 4 deaths in my middle-sized town, and only about 30 diagnoses. But statistically, if 4 people have died, hundreds of folks have it, they just aren't diagnosed. I'm very concerned about my students from the city as well. One of my students' fathers has it, and he's bad enough that she's suspended coursework to focus on him. They're also asking anyone with medical supplies in their houses to donate them to the local hospital, and my university is converting anything they have on campus that can make things, like 3d printers and stuff, to making whatever will help medical professionals. Take care of yourselves.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
my university is converting anything they have on campus that can make things, like 3d printers and stuff, to making whatever will help medical professionals. Take care of yourselves.

Something similar here. Our science labs on campus are going to process some of the tests. The hospital also asked for a team of mathematicians to help them figure out the most efficient ways to use one ventilator for multiple people - a bunch of modeling based on people's 'various variables' (I don't know; I'm not the right flavour of mathematician).

The creativity of various industries and "homespun" 3D print stuff is really amazing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, you guys. It's been rough sledding for me, have to sniffle a bit in front of y'all.
3/3, flew to Buffalo to be with my 102 year old mom who took a bad turn. 3/7 she entered Hospice care.
The absolutely fabulous and welcoming Nickel City Splash Masters swim team welcomed me to practice for a couple of days (coach Brandi is the best, by the way...) until their pools at the University of Buffalo and Buff state were shut down.
Mom passed peacefully at home on the 17th (of course, St Patrick's day... she hated to miss a party.)
Flew home to SD (with mom's kitty, who is now living her best life w one of my sisters,) on the 21st.
No pools open, so I've been walking w my neighbor (6 ft away) and am thinking about riding my bike...
It's a conundrum, mom was 102, and we all knew the day would come. It did, but there's just no way to be mentally ready for it.
A bright note: she donated herself to the UB Medical School. She always said "the only way I'm leaving this house is feet first." When the folks from UB came, we told them about her wish, so they were extremely diligent about the feet first.
Because of all the quarantine restrictions, we won't be able to hold a fitting memorial service for several months, but when we do, it'll be a proper send-off.
The Marvelous Mrs. Sing https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/24/sing-ruth-m/
PS. She's the one who got us a YMCA family membership in 1964, where I took lessons, was invited to join the swim team, and the rest is history!

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Mar 30, 20 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really sorry for your loss. It's nice of her to donate her body to science.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, she was part of a Women's Health initiative study for the past, possibly 30 years, so much will be learned from her cells, I am certain.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, yes even though you know it's coming, when it does, it still sucks. Hugs to you. When we think about my Dad, we just try to remember that he had a long, full life. It sounds like your Mom did too.

Here - still no work done on my house, but today the project manager came to see it and brought the window guy. He took measurements and it will be 4 weeks at a minimum (and that's being put to the top of the list since I'm a tornado emergency). So, dark and dreary inside both CV quarantine and boarded up window! And it's back where the bike is so that makes it not pleasing to get on the bike.

I did walk multiple days last week and one at home strength workout. Goal is to do something every day. I'm not keen on riding outside right now though. With allergies and asthma, I don't want to start mega coughing and then wonder, allergies/asthma of CV!

At least I can work from home and am still getting paid which I know is not the case for lots of people.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Popping in to say hi and send love to everyone. I am exhausted, along with other stressors I've been in an ongoing fight with people in my cycling club who as of 8pm tonight are breaking the law with their unofficial group rides. I've had it and I want to cry.

I got all my workouts in last week, and I'll probably get all of them in again this week. If anyone wants to join me for a long ride on Zwift on Saturday, pm me :)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've been in an ongoing fight with people in my cycling club who as of 8pm tonight are breaking the law with their unofficial group rides. I've had it and I want to cry.

So irresponsible :-( crying totally allowed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. What a crazy moment for your mom to pass. I'll be thinking of you.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy geez, it's a bad time to have tornado damage, eh?Good luck with everything.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flippin selfish idiots! I'm so sorry you have to deal with people like that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaaaand, my first friend has been diagnosed. A dear soul, brilliant, kind, not that young, not too healthy. I'm just real sad this morning, and I have to teach some very talented, very scared young folks all day. Thanks for being my virtual friends.

Last edited by: BingTri: Mar 31, 20 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, I know this is a trying time and I appreciate that you commit to our version of normalcy.

I missed my updates over the last two weeks but I haven't had updates to share either.

I thought I was feeling better but I wasn't. I felt "off" over a month but was both unwilling to tie up medical resources for a non-major issue given how coronavirus was impacting the PNW ... and also a stubborn idiot
When I finally saw the doctor, I was diagnosed with atypical pneumonia. I received a chest x-ray, a series of antibiotics, and orders to be less of an idiot. I feel grateful it's something easily treatable and know how lucky I am.

Speaking of gratitude, I am working from home as are my teammates in Europe and Asia. I've been working remote / in quarantine since March 12. I am safe, healthy, and have plenty of supplies. I cook a lot, have done :30+ yoga ever day, strength, get in plenty of pull-ups, and my old dog is thrilled to have my company all day long. Once I start feeling better, I'll get my sports sorted again. It's a strange time to be alone in a new city but I'm doing fine and counting my blessings.

Karen, I send my condolences to you and your family.

To all the other Womens, I am thinking of you and wishing you the best in a challenging time. If you want to do a Womens Virtual Happy Hour, PM me -- I'd be happy to host.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking good thoughts for your friend BingTri.

Glad you are on the mend TDS - my husband used to get pneumonia regularly. It's no fun at all. He's still working out of the house, I'm the most worried for his health.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much doing here, trying to stay somewhat active. Just found out last night that the school district I work for will be closed until May 1st, so even longer without work unless I can get some sort of online tutoring or teaching job. Being at home means I am doing all the household grocery shopping & pharmacy runs (my parents are high risk, older + pre-existing health conditions). It also means I am the in house IT support, my mom & sister are doing an improv class that is now online, so I am having to set them up each week, last week was in Google, now they switched over to Zoom, so new set up and got them setup with a virtual background, so they're at the beach today :)

This week..no real plans, my run group has been getting workouts via group text, Saturday shop ride has moved to Zwift, haven't gotten back in the pool, so probably should try that again.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Aaaaand, my first friend has been diagnosed. A dear soul, brilliant, kind, not that young, not too healthy. I'm just real sad this morning, and I have to teach some very talented, very scared young folks all day. Thanks for being my virtual friends.

Many hugs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:

Oh no no no. How completely unfair. I'm so sorry. Sending all the immune system power their way and all the awesomeness vibes to you. ::hugs::

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry for your loss Karen. How amazing that your mother got to live such a brilliantly long life, and how lucky for you to have known her love.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 30 Edition [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TwoDollarSteak wrote:

To all the other Womens, I am thinking of you and wishing you the best in a challenging time. If you want to do a Womens Virtual Happy Hour, PM me -- I'd be happy to host.

Um....

Glad you're on the mend!

Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Mar 31, 20 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about your mom. What a nice tribute your family wrote to honor her.

I'm just popping in quickly to say hello and that I hope you are all staying safe and healthy. I started a new job a few weeks ago and it has been a trial by fire since. I'm considered an essential employee so I'm working from home (and still getting paid, thank goodness), but I barely know what I'm doing yet, so it's been a challenge. We are on orders to "stay home, stay safe" in Michigan, but can still get outside to walk the dogs and run, so that's how I've been keeping myself sane. It's been a lot. Detroit and Michigan's numbers have been shooting up and several friends-of-friends have died. It's scary. I'm also terrified for my parents, who both work in public-facing essential positions, are older than 60, and have diabetes/high blood pressure/etc. Ugh.

Training has actually been going well and is my one constant during all this hullabaloo. I'm using my extra time from not commuting or getting ready in the morning for dog walks, and have been doing much more PT and weights with my extra time in the evenings. I'm going to add another easy run in during the week and see how it goes. Cycling is fine, and I've done dryland swimming drills with resistance bands a few times. And I get 1-2 hours a day when I'm not stressed and anxious about what's happening in the world.

I hope you guys are all well. Please stay safe.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply