Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro?
Quote | Reply
So last night, I logged onto Zwift, and after a quick update, I dove right into the "Retro" world of 1989. For a minute, I got confused as to why the graphics looked so blurry and desaturated.

I like the jerseys and the retro bikes, but the screen filters - not so much. After the first few minutes of riding, I got annoyed by the screen filters and a persistent "REC" sign on the top right corner. I'm glad that this is just a one-day kind of change, but still.

I posted full 4K screenshots and more commentary if you are interested here:

Zwift Retro look for April Fools in 4K screenshots

But here is my question to all Zwift riders: Was it necessary to make the "Retro" look so authentic as to take away from the riding experience?

Last edited by: Vilen: Apr 1, 20 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it was giving me a headache. It was blurry and I think my brain kept trying to focus my eyes. A lot of us have pretty large screens pretty close to our faces which I'm sure doesn't help. 0/10, did not enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you, Sean!

If I were to give it a score, it would be 2/10: 8 for Retro Jerseys and Bikes, -6 for the annoying blurry filter. I guess I can deal with this annoyance for a day.

I'm hoping that Zwift HQ can focus on expanding course selection and updating older Zwift worlds with newer graphics instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So so glad they spent developer time on this instead of the months delayed new UI, or new roads, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup was not a fan, I don’t think I lasted an hour before I had to stop, the only time I’ve wished for a smaller scene. Zwift’s other April fools day where much better. Like others said the kit and bike were fine, but my HD adjusted eyes couldn’t deal with 1989 technology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was pretty cool for a day, just changing it up. I'm living a true groundhogs day scenario right now, any changes are welcome.

Wake up, zwift, work, lunch, treadmill, work, dinner, sleep...repeat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For one day, I thought it was pretty cool. I'm just wondering whether the '80s bike had any effect on my time doing the Giro Prologue TT...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take any records set on the April Fools day with a giant grain of salt. But if you felt fast, you were faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohhhh, so THATS what it was.
I thought it was my monitor or I messed with some settings
I was happy that I could read the important stuff like watts/kg.
I was happy that I could almost make it to the top of that Epic Climb.
I AM happy that they "fixed: it though.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get the glasses; no one rode with those in the '80s. It would have been Oakley Factory Pilots, Blades/Razor Blades, or those early Rudy's

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was fun. I thought paperboy year was best since you had targets to throw things at.

I think it is a great Zwift tradition. Better than Halloween and Christmas each year.

People that cried about it could have easily used Wahoo to do their workout instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I thought it was fun. Some interesting things I noticed, everyone always saw themselves on the blue steel bike, but others in the game saw them on whatever bike they normally ride. I saw one of my riding partners on his Tron bike and saw myself on the steel bike, but he saw me on my Tron bike and himself on the steel bike. (no, this isn't some kind of backdoor brag - everyone and their mother has the Tron bike nowadays).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [M&M Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M&M Tri wrote:
I thought it was pretty cool for a day, just changing it up. I'm living a true groundhogs day scenario right now, any changes are welcome.

Wake up, zwift, work, lunch, treadmill, work, dinner, sleep...repeat...

This^ times 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my computer I saw everyone on a steel bike.

The sync line that rolled up the screen every 20 seconds was a nice touch.

On the android app it appears everyone is riding a paperboy bike.

I liked the retro look for a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Agreed. I thought it was fun. Some interesting things I noticed, everyone always saw themselves on the blue steel bike, but others in the game saw them on whatever bike they normally ride. I saw one of my riding partners on his Tron bike and saw myself on the steel bike, but he saw me on my Tron bike and himself on the steel bike. (no, this isn't some kind of backdoor brag - everyone and their mother has the Tron bike nowadays).

On the 2 rides I did, everyone had the same kit and bike, about the only way to tell anyone apart was by helmet (or lack of).

Vilen wrote:
I would take any records set on the April Fools day with a giant grain of salt. But if you felt fast, you were faster!

Since I was both a few lbs lighter, and averaged more watts than before (as per my Garmin), I'm pretty certain that last night's PR was really a PR. I'm just wondering if its an accurate PR. What would my time have been if I'd been on the bike I was planning on using instead?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess that you really were riding your normal bike, it was just skinned to look like the retro bike. A quick test would have been to select a TT bike, and see if you could draft.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once bought a monitor with an anti glare coating so aggressive (looked like tiny oil droplets smeared on the screen) my eyes kept trying to focus on it instead of the picture. Gave me eyestrain and then a headache. So yeah this is a problem.

I wish I rode today and saw Zwift retro though. Went running instead. Discovered I have Achilles problems. Again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to get off it because it was so blurry.......it hurt my head
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know much about development, but I imagine this prank involved a nontrivial amount of work to accomplish. Meanwhile TrainerRoad releases a much requested feature. One can argue the merits of group workouts but it’s definitely more useful than a prank. I know Zwift is doing more stuff and is continuously evolving, but it’s interesting that in the same week one product gets a useful new feature while another serves up fluff
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I logged on did a mountainbike race and got the 1980s kit and screen effects, but a normal mountainbike. I logged back on to invited group ride and got no effects a steel bikea and normal Jersey.
Come on guys its just one day a year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A steel bike is definitely not the fastest steed on Zwift, so your PR would have been even better with a proper bike. Were you going for a climb or flat segment PR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vilen wrote:
A steel bike is definitely not the fastest steed on Zwift, so your PR would have been even better with a proper bike. Were you going for a climb or flat segment PR?

This was the Giro Prologue TT course, so definitely a little climbing involved :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it sucked.

It took me off my tri-bike and put me on a regular bike and given the number of people riding I was forced to draft. Not how I like to do my work-out.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift April Fools Day 2020 too Retro? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked it. Fun switch up for a day.

This thread is so full of pre-season/off-season ansgt. Would recommend.
Quote Reply