Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to have to try CDM in the morning. Its been 4 1/2 weeks since I swam. Just a couple core workouts and 2 zwift rides in that time lol. Its gonna hurt
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.6 k this morning in the bay. Had to cut it short due to work commitments. Looks like the temperature has dropped to 16 Celsius, so approximately 60F.

I actually had to stop after 30 m because my head was killing me, but after yelling "I am soft!!" at myself about five times, I kept going.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slept through my alarm but got down to CDM a little after 8. Decided to swim in the harbor so I hiked over the rocks and down the stairs to the small beach. In my swimrun wetsuit and two caps water wasnt bad I'd guess 59-60ish. The water in the harbor was really clean with decent visibilty.I could see the eel grass on the bottom about 10ft down. Swam out to the swim buoy and then turned parallel to the shore, Did a 500-600 swim/kick/pull for warm up and then for my main set I did 8 100s alternating free and then back/breast. I swam from swim buoy to the rock outcropping and back and it measured a little over 50M distance one way on google earth. I was tired after the 100s so i stopped and used the outdoor shower by the restroom to rinse off and went home. A lot of people out walking and exercising this morning. Total in yards a little under 3K which wasnt bad for taking a full month off I used google earth to figure out how far I swam after I got back home. I think Im going to try this 3x a week until pool opens up again it definitely takes a little more effort and time to do this though.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the change to get filmed in late January and got the edited video back just before the 'end of swimming' so to speak (at least for awhile). I was not sure about posting it, but as there is not much going on in pool, someone might enjoy it.

Little back story. I'd been a very poor triathlete swimmer for a long time and then when I moved to Nashville I took advantage of the NAC and spent as much time as could with the masters group. In the process I discovered I really enjoyed swimming more than Tri. After a little less than 4 years in Nashville I moved to Massachusetts and had to take a break for masters. Started back up with a new club at WPI after getting settled.

This video was filmed when I was rather tired, which I think was part of the point. On the last 50 my head position is going all over the place which is a sign I'm struggling to keep it together. I still can hear Coach Ashley from the NAC yelling at me to keep my head still. It's something that I've been working on for sometime.

I only just started to be able to swim fly and I'm happy I was filmed early in the learning process so I can fix the three-kick-per-cycle thing before it becomes to ingrained. It's funny, I could tell I totally lost all speed every cycle, but had no idea I was narrowing after the entry, pointing my palms at the other side of the pool, and taking an extra kick. Maybe by the time I get to swim again I'll have lost some muscle memory and can reset.

All in all, I'm happy with how far I've come on my IM and really excited about how many things I have to improve on. I have a list of what I want to work on for each stroke. Still need to work on my kick...

I slowed the video down - by 50% I think, you can see the time in the upper corner.

Last edited by: MadisonGuy: Apr 23, 20 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve logged my third swim this week now. I’ve been working on head position and keeping my head down, even though it has been hella choppy with the wind. It seems to be getting better.

I’ve swam solo for two weeks now and am getting accustomed to it. But with out other feet to chase I’m not working as hard. I’ll be glad to hook up with others swimmers again.

The water has been cold but the air is warming. It makes a huge difference to have warmer air now.

Today I swam to the end of the pier and was going to swim around an anchored sail boat. I must have been stuck in a current because about 3/4 of the way I stopped making forward progress. After 3 minutes of almost no progress, I repointed myself to the buoys and resumed moving forward. It is unusual to have such a strong current in that area. Yay endless pool.

Tomorrow will be a day off and then back at it.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
750 out in 16:04
760 return (bi-lateral) in 15:20.
Was able to take the wetsuit off IN the lake today.
No eagles hunting me today.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4.1k in the bay today, roughly 75 mins in the water. Being ANZAC day here in OZ, when I walked down to the water, I was thinking "I only have to get in cold water with a wetsuit on, how would I have been able to jump up & run at the enemy knowing that I would likely get shot?". Then as I approached the water, a lady in her 70's stripped down to her bathers & walked straight into the water, no hesitation..!
I have seen her once before, so we got chatting. She doesn't go into the water in winter any more, it's just too cold for her.. :)
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
So I have managed to do three swims this week, which was all the weather permitted (our bay gets too dirty when it rains). 2.4k, 2.1k & 3.2k.
The temp is dropping, currently sitting at about 17C (~62F). Swimming in a sleeveless suit. Looks like I should be able to get 3-4 in next week, fingers crossed.

OK best of luck and please post some pics so we can live vicariously!

This is how it looked this morning, I did ~ 3.3k in about an hour. It's about 300m long (280 odd if you did it exactly straight, which I seem not to be able to do), so I basically did 12 lengths leaving on ~ 5.15.

Coping OK once I get in, but it was only about 9-10C (50F) outside this morning, so technically it was nicer in than out...still sitting on about 17C.

Today was absolutely beautiful, and I managed to do 4k. 18C outside, still about 16C in the water; swimming again tomorrow because Melbourne is about to get a three day dose of winter, which will drop the temp pretty quickly. I am determined to keep swimming..>!!>!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went again sunday morning the water was a lot warmer than thursday. It was comfortable right away with warm pockets in my wetsuit later in the swim. It was a little foggy so I waited about 15-20 minutes for it to clear a little and it did. Swam along the swim buoys on the CDM side of the harbor. A couple other triathletes did the same, they said it was their first swim of the year. I didn't notice much crowds down on the beach but the sidewalk on Ocean Blvd had a lot of walkers and joggers etc. I was out of there before 10am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam today. Boy howdy the water was chilly. It actually chased me out. My plan had been for an hour of steady swimming. Instead, I warmed up (if you can call it that) for 5 minutes and then did buoy sprints with medium effort returning to the pier. I lasted 30 minutes. My poor teeth. They are frozo. I got 1.5 km on my Garmin.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another 3k this morning in the bay, it felt a bit cooler today, probably because it was only 8C outside when I swam (all in the head, eh....!)

We are about to get a few days of horrible weather - in fact we are expecting our coldest April day for about 25 years, with lots of rain coming. So it looks like I am out of the water for about a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water clearing up and warming up down here At CdM. My face says it was 62°. The red tide is mostly gone and completely gone down at Little Corona. We could see the reef and it’s fishies!
Pulled in almost 3400 yards. Tried to keep up with the GF in a little sprint between buoys. Unfortunately, we swam through a bunch of floating sea grass. I tow a safety buoy and felt the drag of a huge clump of sea grass caught on it. Couldn’t catch her!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gov. Newsom is closing all California State Beaches and it sounds like he's pressuring city and county beaches to do the same. This is just after Laguna Beach announced they'll reopen their beaches on weekdays from 6 to 10 AM for exercise only. So, we don't know if Laguna will abide by the state order now or what. Orange County run beaches are not necessarily closed, but adjacent parking is. Some of our swimmers park nearly a mile away and walk to Strands (Salt Creek Beach) to swim, while others, myself included, have been going to Corona Del Mar, which is a state beach. We don't know if we're swimming tomorrow or if this morning was our last swim.
Speaking of last swim, if this was it, it was a good one! The GF and I got in 4100 yards. The temperature dropped a bit from yesterday and there were some thick patches of algae bloom, but was lake-like in texture. We got out as fog started rolling in. So... perfect!

Update: Apparently now, Newsom is closing only Orange County Beaches. :(

Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Apr 30, 20 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think there are options for just jumping off a dock and swimming in the harbor? Thats what I am considering at this point. People can still kayak and SUP in the harbor so I dont see why we can't swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Logged another one at lunch.

15:30 out. 16:30 back.

Even though it is, obviously, a little lake, we have different weather on each side.

Hell of a chop on the return. No sport challenges your breathing like bi-lateral breathing in a chop.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend lives on Balboa Island and she has been Harbor swimming around Linda Isle. But, I don’t know, maybe not for long. Here’s a document from California Coastal Commision

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting San Diego doesn’t allow swimming in the bay but does allow the kayaks and sups. They also have banned recreational boating. I’m going fishing in the morning out of HH and plan to do a swim in the harbor afterward if I’m not too tired. Gonna ask my buddy if I can have access to his dock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 1 month away from 60F open water swimming. The Ottawa river not far from my house is 4-6km wide so its like a Lake. The problem is all the parks in the city are closed and you are only allowed to "pass through parks"...there is no talk YET if swimming is permissable solo. My guess is that no one will say anything in early June because no one will be swimming. By the third week of June everyone will want to be at the beaches and parks, so they will clamp down. At that point, I have a friend who has a property on the river which is a 20km ride or drive from home. My normal access point is only 15 min ride but it will be "clamped down" for sure by the third week of June, unless the local govt decides to just open parks because the new daily cases are under control.
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprise the fuck out of me but my club pool reopened today. Its on instagram for the world to see!!! I did go on a harbor swim today about 2400 yards and the water at the dock was a toasty 67 per the fishfinder. I don' think Newsom would approve of the club reopening evidently its just the pool and tennis courts for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. That is interesting that your pool opened.

I got 4 ocean swims this last week. No sign of my pool opening anytime soon. The gym is an alternative care sight for our county so it looks like a hospital right now.

My beach is still opening and people seem to be following the distancing rules. So, I'll keep swimming in the ocean. I'm ready for a May Fish Thread! :-)

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are approaching winter here, and have just had 2-3 of the coldest days of the year so far, with lots of rain - which makes the bay un-swimmable for a day or two.
Looks like tomorrow will be a chance, but the temp is dropping - likely to be closer to 15C (59F)...
Quote Reply

Prev Next