Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records?
Quote | Reply
As per slowman's request here a suggestion for a covid-19 free topic:

During his time we all have plenty of time to do our stats and review records etc.
As a 1 time Kona participant, running my numbers after it became clear to me that I will likely never rank high in any statistic - although pretty decent on the bike I am a perfectly average athlete overall.

That being said. I am 6'7 tall (200cm exactly). That should be worth a record, right? Tallest man ever to complete Kona?
Fastest bike ride of anyone over 6"6 tall?
Who has me beat? Who has a better record? Longest beard in a triathlon (and no, Amberger's stache doesn't qualify :-)?

Anything goes - There must be some interesting records some of you hold!
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [Holger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not even the fastest runner on the floor of my apartment building thanks to a Bowerman pro right around the corner of the hallway...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [Holger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At one event I was 1'st across the line 4 times in a row and won twice.

The first loss, I got a flat and lost to the women's race winner. (I won the mens race, but losing is losing, so I consider myself 2'nd)
The other loss, I watched the leader at the time get directed off the course by a volunteer at the 1/2 way mark of the run. That volunteer directed me properly. I spoke to the RD and convinced him that the other guy should have won, so they gave him the win.

That same race I ended up 2'nd O/A, 2'nd age group and was the only race that year that did not qualify me for Nationals.
Quote Reply
Re: what are your weird/crazy records? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice! and i don't doubt it for a second B! i cant think of anything to add, just liking the genuine attempted subject change.
holger nice on the tallest! consider editing title to adhere to your idea?

for a record, maybe... biggest dork? mostly for early equipment, clothing etc. wait, waaay too much competition for that one! ;-) i'd be insulting every champion dork in a huge way! ;-)

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the slowest winning 5k time? I 'won' a small local race with a 23:11.
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [Fhirleighinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fhirleighinn wrote:
How about the slowest winning 5k time? I 'won' a small local race with a 23:11.

Nice! I hope you broke out the champagne! :P

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's only for Strava KOMs, preferrably hill climb :P
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

The first loss, I got a flat and lost to the women's race winner. (I won the mens race, but losing is losing, so I consider myself 2'nd)
The other loss, I watched the leader at the time get directed off the course by a volunteer at the 1/2 way mark of the run. That volunteer directed me properly. I spoke to the RD and convinced him that the other guy should have won, so they gave him the win.

That same race I ended up 2'nd O/A, 2'nd age group and was the only race that year that did not qualify me for Nationals.

Replying mainly to shout out to what I can only presume is your last name. Another McMaster (maiden name) here. Have never met another one I'm not directly related to. Hello there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a long time ago, mid to late 80's, my brother and I were competing in the basement for "the most pedal strokes in 60 seconds" on rollers.
My brother lost count but he said I did above 190 rpm, I was 20 or 21 at the time.

I lost a bit of that "stamina" ;-)

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Kansas, a state where roads have no shoulders, and texting drivers like to murder cyclists, I've taken to training on a desolate portion of the local bike path. There is a one mile (yes... only one mile!) section, that is about a mile from my house, and is pristine path, two nice climbs, room to turn around on each end, and even some tree clumps to pee behind. I got to figuring that if I can go to the pool and swim a zillion laps at a time... I can surely do laps on my bike. I was right. I get a great workout, lots of climbing and descending, accelerating and decelerating, and never more than 2 miles from home, and very very consistent, and comparable split times. My record so far is 80 miles (40 laps) on my one mile bike course (2 miles out-and-back).

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've broken 17 Guinness world records for running marathons for things such as fastest while dribbling a soccer ball, fastest dressed as an astronaut etc.

There is also a chance I could become the youngest male to do an IM on 6 continents. Done 5 so far. It's hard to find information on this though. I know a younger female than me has done this but not sure if a male has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once went 5 minutes without saying the word COVID-19. Lmao!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holger wrote:
That being said. I am 6'7 tall (200cm exactly). That should be worth a record, right? Tallest man ever to complete Kona?
Fastest bike ride of anyone over 6"6 tall?
Who has me beat? Who has a better record? Longest beard in a triathlon (and no, Amberger's stache doesn't qualify :-)?

Anything goes - There must be some interesting records some of you hold!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Doug Clark has you beat for fastest IM split 6'6" and taller.

For crazy records I once won a 5K with a time under zero minutes. Before the start you had to bench press your weight and every rep was 30 seconds off your race time.
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [esmith06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You presumed right. I've met a few, but none play triathlon. Hello to you as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One race - many years ago - I flatted twice, had to ride on the rim, and got passed by a roller-blader [she was NOT in the race, just using the road] while finishing DFL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it need to be sports related?

When I retired from the Navy I had the highest life time ionizing radiation exposure in the fleet. So high that I had to have a BUMED waiver to continue to be an occupational exposure worker.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not really a record per se - I'm far too mediocre to be the fastest anything - but I did a race on June 22nd, 2019 that began exactly at sunrise and ended exactly at sunset on the 2nd longest day of the year (solstice was Friday, the race started at 5:39am Saturday morning; difference in daylight time was only 2 seconds). It was a 4km loop of mixed dirt and paved trail, with a couple of mud puddles and a couple of hills. Keep going through the hot, sunny day 'til 9:03pm - a total of 15h23m.

I was only 2nd woman overall with 25 laps, but I think it's a very weird thing to know about myself that I can run 100km from sunup to sundown on the longest day of the year.

Quote | Reply
I beat Lance at Galveston 70.3. Specifically, my split for the last mile of the run was faster than his. His overall time was about an hour faster than me and he stopped before the finish line to high-five people, but for that one split, I dominated the dojo.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Going the other way, I once got 2 firsts in a single race. About 30 years ago, I, my brother and a co-worker entered a reverse sprint as a relay team, with me as the runner. Then I thought "why not hand off at T1 and then continue the race on my own?", so I entered again as an individual. I won my age group, and we won the relay division, so I got on the podium in 2 different divisions...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While in the Marines we had to rifle qualify every year, and pistol qualify if your job required you to carry a pistol. I was an M60E3 machine gunner, but I still had to qualify with the M16A2. 50 shots at 5 points each if you score perfectly. No scope, iron sights. I also had to qualify with the pistol (4 times expert).

The old course was called a KD (known distance course).
200y slow fire = 5 shots (1 minute each) each from the sitting position, kneeling position, and standing position at a 12" target.
200y rapid fire = 10 shots in 1 minute from the sitting position at a life-sized head-and-shoulders shaped target.

300y slow fire = 5 shots at a 12" target (1 minute each) sitting position.
300y rapid fire = 10 shots in 1 minute from a prone position, at the same life-sized head-and-shoulders shaped target.

500y slow fire = 10 shots in 10 minutes, at a man-sized target from the waist up.

Expert score = 220+ points.
Sharpshooter = Forgot but maybe 200-219
Marksman = Forgot but maybe 180-199

At the time, only Carlos Hathcock had a perfect score of 250, and while I was in Basic Training, a WM (Woman Marine) shot a 246 which I heard was the 2nd highest rifle score in the history of the Marine Corps.
In 1989 I shot a 246 at Kaneohe Bay MCAS, which was the base high shooter, and as far as I know tied for 2nd with the WM in the history of the Marine Corps. That score (along with a 242 from 1988) gained me a spot in the 1989 Armed Services Pacific Division Match held in Hawaii that year to compete against the best shooters in the Pacific area.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really enjoy this thread. Since I won't be able to top anyone so far, let's just say I got a pity letter for track my senior year in high school. Then finished second at my first marathon in 2:48.

Now that the bar has been lowered by me, feel free to post more.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny - The dreamer in me doesn't want to know, but the triple A personality and data freak in me makes me type this...do you happen to know Doug's best Kona bike split? I couldn't help myself and googled a bit, only found results from 2009 and 2010...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two records (not so entertaining as some here above though):

- HM in 21 minutes, achieved during time adjustment from summertime to wintertime;

- AG M55 Record IM Weymouth (I won my agegroup in 2016 and that was the first and last IM helt in Weymouth).
Quote Reply
Re: covid free discussion - what are your weird/crazy records? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sports, but I do have the Guinness World Record for organising the world's largest digeridoo ensemble, unbroken since 2006.
Quote Reply