Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is Kienle your "average" professional athlete in terms of technical acumen? Hoff? Wurf? Lauren Brandon has the best aero position ... Ever... Did she get there by accident?

I don't think me saying Jan followed the money is a bad thing. It's f***ing SMART. It's a demonstration that he has performed an analysis and come up with a conclusion that works. Just, the "fluff" that comes when athletes switch brands gets really old.

Ever see that documentary "Race Across the Sky", where Lance Armstrong gets a flat and doesn't even know how to change it? Same rings true in F1, where some of the best drivers in the world don't know the first thing about how their cars are built or how to change things. They just drive. Jan most likely just runs, races and uses whatever feels best. Ignoring all the chatter online is probably a wise course for a top athlete.

As Sloman said, a lot of these athletes live in a bubble and have everything done for them. It took until last year for Lionel Sanders to stop wearing the Skechers GoRun5. Even now, he's not using the latest and greatest from Skechers.

Brigid Kosgei--the fastest female marathon runner ever--ran the RAK Half Marathon in March wearing older Flyknit Vaporflys, which are two versions old at this point. She can probably get her hands on *anything* at this point. Those are on clearance on Nike's website, btw.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
There's no way a lot of that is true but it makes for good marketing verbiage.

what part of it do you find not believable? i think it's pretty clear that he was dropped by ASICS. he didn't say that he moved because he clearly felt ASICS was holding him back. i asked him a trick question. what did you move from, and what did you move to? there was only 1 right answer, and it was the glideride. the nimbus, kayano, GT, all better selling shoes, would've been the wrong answer. i thought he threaded the needle pretty well on that.

Did you listen to Jordans interview with Jan a few weeks ago , I guess you should,.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where was this interview?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Wurf has the coach tim kerrison/Team INEOS sponsorship link to the nike breaking2 project which is probably related to the pinarello/castelli/nike deals
I think you're right, it will be via Kerrioson's involvement I would imagine. Team Ineos are sponsored by On for footwear.

As for Jan, I would take it on face value that he says he tried different shoes and preferred the Hokas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Sean H wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
he was already running in a second tier shoe, why not continue the trend?

doesn't seem to matter that much though, he's pretty fast. also, when at the end of your career arc maximizing income streams is probably a good idea.

I'm not sure he's giving up much. Hoka designed the carbon x to beat the 50 mile world record iirc (which has got to be closer to an IM marathon effort than standalone marathon effort), and I believe Joe Skipper wore them when running 2:39 at IM Florida & 2:43 at IM New Zealand.

and which shoe will you be racing in for 2020?

I only hope that Hoka don't deck him out in black shoes and black socks - that Kona 2019 look was hideous.

I think he is wearing Carbon X for the pictures?
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Apr 1, 20 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
Where was this interview?

Zwift triathlon podcast

Obviously li,e with most there is a lot same same as always which has been chronographed
but still there is some good stuff in it ,obsession vs finding the right balance . And no better person than Jordan for this part.at some stage i wasnt sure if Jordan was interviewing himself or Jan lol but it's realy worth a listen. Especially if you remember the day before his first kona. He is not as organiced as people think but I guess it's fair to say he has like.y the biggest and most dedictad team of any triathlete around him or better a team that works really well for him .
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
As Slowman said, a lot of these athletes live in a bubble and have everything done for them. It took until last year for Lionel Sanders to stop wearing the Skechers GoRun5. Even now, he's not using the latest and greatest from Skechers.

comparing LS to any other top pro is probably a mistake. he is good in spite of many of his decisions, not because of them. having been around kienle a little bit, and some other top pros, and ridden/run with them, i just know that what you believe to be true is not true. not for the "top pros."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is off topic but Armstrong elected to ride on a flat tire based on his proximity to the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
I know this is off topic but Armstrong elected to ride on a flat tire based on his proximity to the finish line.

Generally, I'd bet that many pros aren't much different than amateurs. I'm sure there are some who are obsessed with details, tech and equipment, and I'm sure there are others who don't give it much thought.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Frodeno didn't spend his days reading Vaporfly tech talk on LetsRun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
phoenixR34 wrote:
As Slowman said, a lot of these athletes live in a bubble and have everything done for them. It took until last year for Lionel Sanders to stop wearing the Skechers GoRun5. Even now, he's not using the latest and greatest from Skechers.

comparing LS to any other top pro is probably a mistake. he is good in spite of many of his decisions, not because of them. having been around kienle a little bit, and some other top pros, and ridden/run with them, i just know that what you believe to be true is not true. not for the "top pros."

Isn't that the case with most elite athletes? The guys who had to "out-work" everyone for the most part aren't the most elite athletes based on genetics.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
Dinsky11 wrote:

Generally, I'd bet that many pros aren't much different than amateurs. I'm sure there are some who are obsessed with details, tech and equipment, and I'm sure there are others who don't give it much thought.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Frodeno didn't spend his days reading Vaporfly tech talk on LetsRun.

you keep moving the goal posts.

i am positive frodo doesn't spend his days reading vaporfly/shoe tech talk on letsrun. i don't think that's what anyone is suggesting.

the athletes at the top are generally speaking very smart and technically oriented. it is their job to be that way and their income depends on it.

there are exceptions to that rule, not the other way around.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am sure it depends.

the athletes winning the big races (not the regional ironmans and semi-competitive 70.3s) are ALL very talented and work very hard.

their talent led them down the path and their hard work has kept them on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
the athletes at the top are generally speaking very smart and technically oriented. it is their job to be that way and their income depends on it. there are exceptions to that rule, not the other way around.

i think that's the way it should be. i don't think that's the way it is. i find them very capable. hard working. really good at reading their bodies. i think they're probably pretty well versed on nutrition, because this is something that THEY have to manage. they're good tactically, they're good technical users (bike handlers, swimmers).

but i don't find that the typical pro is any more technically conversant than a good age grouper. he's not any better at wrenching on his bike; at bike fit; at knowing the technical elements of run shoes; or any of it. he may end up with a bike or a wheel or wetsuit that is a wise use choice, but if so i don't think it's because he's better or smarter, but that he has access to smarter circle of folks. i don't find a top pro dumber, or less clued-in, than a top AGer. i just don't find him or her any better informed on these technical issues.

you apparently know a wholly different set of "athletes at the top" than i do.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that he want to win Kona three more times. Let's see if he will still be competitive in three or more years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think, to move forward, we need to make a few definitions:

Slowman wrote:
"typical pro"

self wrote:
"athletes at the top"

i mean the top. the ones who actually earn real, long term money from this. i don't mean the sam longs of triathlon. i mean the kienle, the frodo, the hoff, the potts (actually maybe he's not a good example given gatorksin, oops). i mean the one's whose careers could end tomorrow and they'd actually have 6mo + worth of living expenses, health insurance taken care of, and an rIRA for their kids (or something similar) or if they don't have kids some sort of investment portfolio and long term financial plan.

that, to me, represents the ones who really, truly treat triathlon like a JOB. there are a LOT of lifestyle pros. some of them are really quite good. but they are not the top.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [Chefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chefe wrote:
I heard that he want to win Kona three more times. Let's see if he will still be competitive in three or more years.

If we go based on form, he will be a top 3 guy at Kona, the next time they host the World Championship. He may even win, one world championship is probably enough return on investment on a three year deal I'd say.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It is now proven that when using new generation shoes (high cushion + plate), each athlete have an individual response to each shoe model, bringing him more or less gain, with potentially significant gaps.

Any given athlete, comparatively to a basic old flat, will have an a% gain from Alphafly, b% from Next, c% from Endorphin Pro, d% from RocketX., ....

Sure Frodo was able to do such tests, and I'm sure he choose Hoka knowing perfectly he have no disadvantage using one of their shoe agains a Nike model or Saucony model or Skecher model or....

Then of course the usual pro-Nike biased guys are trying to push the same old idea, now obsolete, Nike is "the only third tier manufacturer".... but the 2016-2019 period is over, apparently.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or the Hoka was a bit slower but the contract compared to other companies was quite better.

Tough call. If product A is slower than B and C but the contract is 5-15% more guaranteed, and let's call the performance bonuses =. Now the question is do you go with the slower product for more guaranteed $ or do you go with the faster product and hope you're faster than others on race day some of who will be in faster products.

Tough call. I know that what I might choose to do could be different if I was in the front or back half of my career.

Anyway it's a fun little exercise to ponder

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
or the Hoka was a bit slower but the contract compared to other companies was quite better.

Tough call. If product A is slower than B and C but the contract is 5-15% more guaranteed, and let's call the performance bonuses =. Now the question is do you go with the slower product for more guaranteed $ or do you go with the faster product and hope you're faster than others on race day some of who will be in faster products.

Tough call. I know that what I might choose to do could be different if I was in the front or back half of my career.

Anyway it's a fun little exercise to ponder

I’d be surprised if Nike offered him a contract even close to Hoka if at all. I doubt the delta between the brands is significant enough to offset the money. It’s not like swimming or the 100m where a 1/10 second is huge. He’s beating guys by minutes in IMs.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
It is now proven that when using new generation shoes (high cushion + plate), each athlete have an individual response to each shoe model, bringing him more or less gain, with potentially significant gaps.

Any given athlete, comparatively to a basic old flat, will have an a% gain from Alphafly, b% from Next, c% from Endorphin Pro, d% from RocketX., ....

Sure Frodo was able to do such tests, and I'm sure he choose Hoka knowing perfectly he have no disadvantage using one of their shoe agains a Nike model or Saucony model or Skecher model or....

Then of course the usual pro-Nike biased guys are trying to push the same old idea, now obsolete, Nike is "the only third tier manufacturer".... but the 2016-2019 period is over, apparently.

That's what you would expect but according to himself he did not do such a test he even made a bit fun of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting.
Where did you read/hear that ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Troy B wrote:

.......Asics are second tier shoes -

Yes. Asics lost their way a fair bit ago, about the time the minimalist trend was dying +/- a few years. The Asics 20xx series was the #1 shoe in the country for years iirc.

Asics is finally starting to catch up with their Metaride and glideride shoes. Even companies that mimicked Asics when they sprung up, such as 361, surpassed them in feel & ride in <3 editions of shoes.

As a once Asics loyalist I've paid near retail for more 361 shoes in the last 3yr then I've been given Asics shoes. I've been given a lot of asics shoes in that time.

When I was racing I loved my DS Racers and DS Trainers, but they did seem to stagnate while others forged ahead with new foams, carbon plates or rocker soles.

As a benchmark I always use a lad I know that races age group Aquathlons. If a brand sponsors him they have generally been on a bit of a market slip and are trying to either re-establish themselves or they are an endurance sport brick-a-brack brand or new company trying to gain traction. He is a 36-37min 10k runner with limited equipment knowledge, but some social media exposure/value. Of the major brands he has Asic and Polar both of which lost there places at the top of the table in their equipment sector for multisport and are trying to come back on terms with their major rivals with some new products.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One sponsors Jan Frodeno [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of my Corona Virus prepping last month including buying some running shoes before the stores all shut down. I got a pair of Hoka Stinson ATR 5 and Nike 4%.* (the green ones).

The Hokas are huge and clunky but I really like the rockered front end. It feels like it offers a mechanical advantage to getting the knee out in front of the ankle. They are awesome on the snow and dirt but a little overkill on the pavement. I see what they mean on how the maximal shoes add more torque on the ankle but less on the knees. It was interesting to read Jan's technical description of the Hoka design.

When I was at the shoe store I said I wanted the Nike's. The salesperson said there were other carbon road options but I did not care.

My plan is to run the Hokas in all conditions and then reserve the 4% for high end speed days and race only. I have not run in there Nike's yet. Waiting for the snow to melt, can't wait!

FWIW my main run goal this summer is to hit 1:15 in HM up from a 1:19
Last edited by: JYoung: Apr 2, 20 21:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next