Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up?
Quote | Reply
70.3 Chattanooga was postponed to 8/23. The race is sold out but that new date works for me. I assume not all entrants will stay with the new date. Will they re-open general registration assuming slots become available?
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think so. I have several friends that have decided to defer until next year’s race. Chattanooga in August will be a scorcher.
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really think this will be over and the race goes ahead in August?
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hawaii 70.3 has given a few options also. Question is, if on Aug 15(the reschedule date)....if the Corona BS isn't fixed, will we get differed again or lose our money?
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

No, not at all. People are kidding themselves otherwise.

I’m taking deferral options to 2021 on all races when they postpone/reschedule.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
I would think so. I have several friends that have decided to defer until next year’s race. Chattanooga in August will be a scorcher.

Yea I got excited when I saw the new date because I happen to already have Monday vacation the following day. Then I remembered, if May is hot then August would be outrageously hot. Nevermind.
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you’re well stocked with firearms and ammo. Because if we aren’t back to business as usual by August, the America we have known won’t exist anymore 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the moved Ironman Florida to Haines City because of the Hurricane they reopened registration since a lot of people couldn't make it to Haines City. I would guess they will do the same moving forward.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
When the moved Ironman Florida to Haines City because of the Hurricane they reopened registration since a lot of people couldn't make it to Haines City. I would guess they will do the same moving forward.
Yep I was one of those who took advantage of that.

Guessing they will open up slots once they calculate who chose a different race and who stayed.

That said I am not optimistic that anything is happening at all this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Was it you who qualified for Kona at IM70.3 Lizhou. All the China races are open for busines it appears. Probably the safest place to go race this fall.

I am personally hoping that Oceanside opens back up.

I think people in the Northern Hemisphere will be surprised by things burn down over the summer between distancing, the weaker getting exposed and already getting it. The infection totals in India, Bangladesh Indonesia, most of Africa and Central America where it is already hot are relatively lower. Let's see, but no one appears to be actively studying that yet. We'll know how all this shakes out in the fall.

But hey, for GMAN and all you guys coming on these thread discussing fall races, if you are going to just show up on these threads and tell people to give up then why even bother showing up on a triathlon forum?

If nothing else the hope of races keeps people active, which is a good thing during this time. The races may or may not happen but the hope that there may be a race forces good actions in all of us and it gives many a goal. Why come and kill that. It would be like someone training for a race and coming in and saying, "you know the race can be cancelled if there is a lightening storm"....yeah, we all get that, so how about focusing on getting ready for the race.

We can't control the world around us but what we can control we can take care of. So let's encourage poeple rather than be the doom and gloom club. We have enough of that on CNN and mainstream media.
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Was it you who qualified for Kona at IM70.3 Lizhou. All the China races are open for busines it appears. Probably the safest place to go race this fall.

I'd up for China, but the restrictions on travel at the moment are making it impossible.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

I'd up for China, but the restrictions on travel at the moment are making it impossible.

Agreed on air travel restrictions. Even for those of us who want to give money to events, you're going to give you limited cash to local events which may or may not happen. A lot will play out over time. Let's give it all some time. There is plenty of time to Aug-Nov range at least enoug to keep us all training and staying fit with goals that may or may not happen.

I happen to be logging my three biggest weeks of running in 7 years. I raced Dubai 70.3 and was reasonably competitive in my age group for swim and bike, but lost a lot of time on the run after a multi year disc injury related run hiatus. Missed rolldown due to my run. Now this lockdown is creating a lot of opportunity to run and its actually coming along. I am running faster now (at least fast enough in my age group), and the chance of any racing later in the year is keeping me excited, but should it not happen, its miles in the legs and I will benefit next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

I believe races in this time frame have a greater chance of happening than not. Ironman isn't stupid. Nor is everyone else rescheduling for fall. They have greater resources and access to information than people on this forum.

While certainly not a given, moving Chatt 70.3 to Aug 23 sends signal to me they are prepping for Fall IMs.... as 23rd is a 34 days before Chatt 140.6... so they are are still in window for people to do both as stair step to the IM.

Obviously, many people on this board consistently say fall IMs not going to happen. Clearly, their right to that belief. I think there will be a window - likely from mid August to Mid October - that could be a definite possibility for races to go off.
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are going to die.....Chattanooga in Aug
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it was me who qualified in Liuzhou for Kona. Can't say I want to visit or buy anything Chinese any time soon.

As for the negativity about shutting down peoples discussion yes I take your point and will refrain from doing it from now on. I guess like everyone I am just trying to grasp the vast change in reality we are now experiencing and realise this isn't going to end any time soon. I fly away to work for weeks at a time and what my company is trying to do to ensure it doesn't get in the work place had me spending 2 weeks in quarantine and 12 weeks locked away between work and our accommodation in an enclosed bubble of quarantined people with a second team coming in behind us. That was two days ago and now we are doing two weeks of quarantine and four weeks in that bubble four weeks leave and repeat.

It's hard at this point in time to see when we get out of this as it is going to be around until a vaccine is found. The US is estimated 100 000 to 240 000 dead in the next few weeks alone.

Ok doom and gloom ended but that's my head space and thanks for the forum etiquette advice that I will be sure to follow...

P.S. I see you on the Taupo post and having qualified for that I was clinging to some hope to race there but losing the belief and mojo. You are right we need to cling to the belief it will at this point in time and I need to get on that trainer with that purpose. Thanks...
Last edited by: Shambolic: Apr 3, 20 20:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey if you can use the Taupo carrot to get through this time in humanity complete with your upside down working environment, then that will be awesome. I am using the hope of fall racing to get through this time. Its going to be a hard time for my company and staff. I am fortunate to have closed an institutional investor round of financing coming into the month, so I will have some buffer to pay staff. But its stressful (plus parents are stuck 10 time zones away on a trip that started 5 months ago, and now they cannot come home), so training and the hope of races later in the year are a great diversion. I was not fast enough to qualify for Taupo because of my run but since this lockdown is making running the most viable sport, perhaps its blessing in disguise for when racing restarts....either this year or next year. My key A event races for the year in April (swimming provincials,), May (swimming masters nationals), June (tri nationals) obviously all washed out, so I mentally am just hoping for the world to get on track later in the year.

At least that gets many of us through now. Come July if it is another 3 months of lockdown, that's fine, but today, I have to hope that by July less of our fellow humans are dying too early and everyone else can go back to some semblance of biz as usual....and hey, maybe you go and get another Kona slot at Lizhou70.3 because you hit the trainer now to stay fit for Taupo and then after that you do Taupo this year and Kona next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey if you can use the Taupo carrot to get through this time in humanity complete with your upside down working environment, then that will be awesome. I am using the hope of fall racing to get through this time. Its going to be a hard time for my company and staff. I am fortunate to have closed an institutional investor round of financing coming into the month, so I will have some buffer to pay staff. But its stressful (plus parents are stuck 10 time zones away on a trip that started 5 months ago, and now they cannot come home), so training and the hope of races later in the year are a great diversion. I was not fast enough to qualify for Taupo because of my run but since this lockdown is making running the most viable sport, perhaps its blessing in disguise for when racing restarts....either this year or next year. My key A event races for the year in April (swimming provincials,), May (swimming masters nationals), June (tri nationals) obviously all washed out, so I mentally am just hoping for the world to get on track later in the year.

At least that gets many of us through now. Come July if it is another 3 months of lockdown, that's fine, but today, I have to hope that by July less of our fellow humans are dying too early and everyone else can go back to some semblance of biz as usual....and hey, maybe you go and get another Kona slot at Lizhou70.3 because you hit the trainer now to stay fit for Taupo and then after that you do Taupo this year and Kona next year!

Thank you for that perspective, I share it too. I get that it's easy to say the whole thing will be scrapped... ok, we got it. But I for one am going to keep training for a Sept IM (Chattanooga) as well as I can, even in a limited way, because I a) think it's going to happen b) I love training and c) its a form of meditation in my day.
Quote Reply
Re: Will sold out races that are postponed have slots open back up? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I stated in the other thread, these races will open back up for registration. Give it a week post deferred deadline and then they should open up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Agreed on air travel restrictions. Even for those of us who want to give money to events, you're going to give you limited cash to local events which may or may not happen. A lot will play out over time. Let's give it all some time. There is plenty of time to Aug-Nov range at least enoug to keep us all training and staying fit with goals that may or may not happen.

I happen to be logging my three biggest weeks of running in 7 years. I raced Dubai 70.3 and was reasonably competitive in my age group for swim and bike, but lost a lot of time on the run after a multi year disc injury related run hiatus. Missed rolldown due to my run. Now this lockdown is creating a lot of opportunity to run and its actually coming along. I am running faster now (at least fast enough in my age group), and the chance of any racing later in the year is keeping me excited, but should it not happen, its miles in the legs and I will benefit next year.

HERE HERE!!! Well said brother.
Quote Reply