Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Removing Wheel Decals
Quote | Reply
Just bought a new QR PR6 that came with Reynolds carbon wheels. Just removed the barcode and registration stickers from one of the wheels, but now there is a shadow where the sticker used to be (not residue). Is there a way to "buff out" the shadow? Any suggestions on how remove the stickers from the other wheel without leaving a shadow?

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Removing Wheel Decals [Mindy00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acetone.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing Wheel Decals [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does acetone help with the shadow or just the residue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they’re decals, try heating them up with a blow dryer and then you can peel it off quite easily. It works for Zipp and Heds.
Last edited by: CMattos: Mar 30, 20 14:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it and find out.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing Wheel Decals [CMattos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CMattos wrote:
If they’re decals, try heating them up with a blow dryer and then you can peel it off quite easily. It works for Zipp and Heds.

Yup hairdryer worked well on my Zipp 808 decals also a hairdryer was most effective at removing glue off my tubs, better than acetone.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing Wheel Decals [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have suggested, a hair dryer, or heat gun will work well. Personally, I have used my heat gun to lift the decals, and then used Lacquer Thinner to clean the residue. Yes, yes, I know...... Oh the horror of using lacquer thinner on carbon......PLEASE.....lacquer thinner has no effect on the epoxy used in the carbon lay-up process. It's epoxy, not paint! Now, I don't advocate soaking the carbon wheel in lacquer thinner, or anything close to that. But, using lacquer thinner on a rag with some elbow grease will easily take off all remnants of decals. So be it...then wipe the wheel down with water, and then some alcohol to make sure the lacquer thinner isn't left behind. After a wipe down with alcohol, there will be nothing left on the wheel surface, and it will be fine.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used one of these on an old set of original 808 Firecrests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ySxkMJ4Hg

I was hesitant and reluctant to give it a go but it worked a treat, absolutely zero damage to the carbon & decals came off with ease and no chemicals involved. The wheel is sacrificial, mine managed to do both wheels with it before wearing down too far to use.
Quote Reply