Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Max speed on a decent [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
58 mph on Tumbleweed Hill in Austin.
I tried to break 60 but never quite got there.
In the late '80s my bike computer showed a max of 66 mph on a hill outside of Bellbrook, OH. I was never quite sure that was accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
113kmph down El Torcal into the back of Antequera, Spain.

Was spun out in 53/11 and then sitting aero on top tube. Around 2011.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Max speed on a decent [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
55 mph several times down Hogpen Gap near Helen GA.

Same for me! I've hit 53 mph at least twice there. Such a fun area to ride. Here in FL the best we've got is Sugarloaf, I've hit 51 mph going down that in the past. Probably would be faster now that it's repaved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit over 60 a few times in the NC mountains- topped out at 61 mph this year at the Bookwalter Binge off the front, riding the top tube with my buddy. Have also hit 60 at the Bottom of Beech Mountain and coming down Buffalo Rd in Blue Ridge Brutal.

On a TT bike, I did manage to break the 60mpg barrier as well coming down from Skylands on Skyline drive (took the KOM too!)- that actually didn't feel too bad, but it's definitely less stable than on a road bike without the drops. It helps there to really squeeze the top tube and front fork with your knees/legs.

Note- The guys I ride with are nuts, and I gradually learned how to be almost as crazy to not get dropped on descents. Don't try super tucking for the first time on a mountain at those speeds. Start for short segments on smaller hills to get a feel, and work up to faster speeds and cornering in the tuck. I know the position takes a lot of flack but it is honestly extremely stable, much more so than the praying mantis position on a road bike for example. Have passed people in hilly tri's like they were standing still when they were on the bars and I was on the top tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Max speed on a decent [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
78.9 km/h at Ironman Zurich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51.3 mph dropping into the canyon during the Buffalo Springs HIM. Crazy tailwind was a huge help.
Quote Reply

Prev Next