Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water?
Quote | Reply
What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water?

The YMCA is closed. I've been looking at the tidal creek behind my house and wondering if I could survive swimming in it. The water is presently about 50 deg F. I have a fairly thin triathlon wetsuit and neoprene cap, but no booties or gloves. I exchanged messages with a lady online who says she swims nearby with just a swimskin and two regular swim caps, but I doubt I'm tough enough for that.

I've SCUBA dived in a heavier wetsuit and experienced the shock of hitting the thermocline. My breath rate goes through the roof. For my first foray, I'd stay close to the pier.

Another issue is having some sort of swim buoy. I don't have one, but I could tie an orange crab pot buoy to my waist. In my experience, if a boat doesn't see you, it is because nobody onboard is paying attention, so a swim buoy won't make much difference.
Quote Reply
Re: What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different, and your tolerance for discomfort also comes into play.

I have a Hurricane 5 that I swam in a few days ago. The water temperature was logged by NOAA as being 48 degrees. My hands and feet, along with my face went numb but otherwise I was fine.

Those conditions would have killed my wife. On the other hand I have seen (usually women) at many early summer races were the water temp was about 60 degrees in a standard 2 piece bathing suit act like it was another day at the beach.

In other words, you need to find out for yourself what you need. Most stores that cater to swimmers have neoprene booties and hoods. I would start there, but that won't help with your face, and that is what will trigger the mammalian response in some (most) people.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend going for a run instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put on wetsuit, neoprene cap, botties ect. Run three miles, then jump in water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While a person's ability to stay warm in cold water for any period of time is based, not just on the wetsuit, but also the individual's tolerance to cold. I will tell you that I, as well as many other customers, have used the T1 Wetsuit in water temps of 50º and below. The SF Bay is consistently in the mid to low 50’s, the Puget Sound in Seattle gets colder, so does the English Bay in Vancouver. I have swam in the Ketchekan bay of Alaska, and Milford Sound in New Zealand where the temps drop below 48º. Nobody has ever complained that our wetsuit is not warm enough. We have sold thousands of T1 Wetsuits and the biggest concern is being too warm.

I can personally offer you any additional advice on staying warm, including how to acclimatize to cold water, and what to wear to keep your head warm including this one:

A TIP FROM EMILIO: Swimming in really cold water? Try Emilio's GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap Sandwich
Ingredients: 1 GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap, 2 latex rubber or silicone swim caps.
  1. Put on the first latex rubber swim cap. Make sure it covers your temples and forehead.
  2. Put on the GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap over the first latex swim cap. Again and more importantly, make sure it covers your temples and forehead and that it sits just above your eyebrows as shown in the photo. This will eliminate "Brain Freeze", or "Ice Cream Headache."
  3. Finally put on the last latex cap. Make sure it covers the front and back of the GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap.

If done properly, your hair will most likely be dry when you exit the water, but more importantly, your head and your body will stay warm...and your fingers will actually work! I have raced Escape from Alcatraz over a dozen times (twice without a wetsuit). I have raced in the Puget Sound, the English Bay in Vancouver, and in the Milford Sound on New Zealand's South Island. All are races where the water temperature was between 48 - 54 degrees F (9 - 12 degrees C). This Sandwich works...I guarantee it!

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know about the swim cap sandwich idea! I've been experimenting with open water swimming here in Boston (current temp 41 F). The first couple of attempts I only lasted 5-10 minutes. Yesterday I finally found a workable set-up, and stayed in for 30 minutes.

My Blueseventy helix is keeping my core warm; the tricky part is the extremities. I actually got a hood designed for scuba diving, and am using a mask and snorkel, so that my head, neck, and most of my face are covered (just my lips are freezing).

Even with gloves on, my fingers freeze, so I'm putting blueseventy wetsuit socks on both my hands and feet. Also, am using a couple of pairs of blueseventy neoprene toe covers (designed for cycling) under the socks, to give an extra layer of insulation to my fingers and toes.

FYI, you can use the discount code "HowellMasters" for 20% off at blueseventy.com. And you mentioned a swim buoy - they also sell bright orange "buddy bags" to help make you more visable in the water. Good luck!

Cheers,
Ginger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if recommend is the right word, but this is what has worked for the hubs and I in Virginia over the past week. Our area lakes are definitely in the low 50s right now, so we both wore full sleeved wetsuits (mine's a lower price tier Roka, his is one of the medium tier Xterras), double capped (totally using the latex-silicone-latex idea next time though), and wore compression socks because we don't have neoprene booties. I made sure to stick my face in the water for a little bit before actually swimming. The hands were a little cold at first but they got used to it. The feet took a bit to thaw out afterwards but they weren't bad.
Quote Reply
Re: What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say third gear....but, top gear might be better. /pinkish or not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About as good advice as you´ll get.....

https://triallan.com/...tably-in-cold-water/

From Norseman winner.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tolerance is personal. The main thing to wear is a wetsuit. If you have or can get a surfers rash vest this will add an extra layer to your torso. A neoprene skull cap, gloves and boots help as well.

The main thing to remember is the initial cold water shock passes fairly quickly. I usually swim breast stroke for the first minute until my breathing gets under control. Putting your head in for front crawl in cold water gets easier with time and conditioning your body to it.

From a safety point of view have someone with you who can help you out if you get into difficulties, some extra layers you can put on easily with numb hands and a warm drink in a cup with a lid. You probably won't need any of those but nice to have if you do.
Quote Reply
Re: What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilio: Any ORANGE tri-shorts or tops in that warehouse of yours?

I have a purple tri-top that I bought in 2001, that I am STILL using.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:
Testicle extraction device
Quote Reply
Re: What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Fredo_Adagio wrote:
Testicle extraction device

55x11. Go for a ride instead.

Roughly 50F water shouldn't be too bad, just slowly acclimate yourself to it. Or bundle up with all the insulation gear mentioned. If you are worried, try swimming with a tether tied to the pier for awhile if you don't have someone watching.

As an unwise college student we would routinely swim and body surf for multiple hours in L. Superior after the ice went out in cheapo wetsuits from Walmart. Water temps in the sub 40s. But we weren't that bright then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know what others think of this but surf instructor I had once would take large bottles of hot water. Close off extremities of wetsuit pour in there let sit for a few min to get it nice and warm. Put it on quickly and get in. Very little initial cold shock. If you start off warm the whole experience is nicer.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did just that earlier today. 7 ml scuba wetsuit with a long-sleeve lavacore underneath. Swim cap sandwich as Emilio describes. Other than some neck chafing, it went fine. Water temp was about 50, air temp about 62. I was in for 2500 yards. The hardest part was taking everything off after I was done -- hands and feet were frozen. But it was GREAT to be back swimming, and I have every intention of going back out this coming week as long as they don't close the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: What gear do you recommend for open water swimming in 50 deg F (10 deg C) water? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on wearing a 1 mm neoprene rash guard under the wetsuit. I also pour a bottle of warm water in from the neck before going in, triple cap, and put vasoline on face, back of hands and ankles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam the past two days in 53F water. I used a Roka Maverick wetsuit, latex cap/Aquaman hood/latex cap, and Tyr swim socks. Initially, I was cold. Very cold. I got in slowly and let cold water in slowly. I did few bobs.

I swam 3,026 and 3,013 yards respectively. You warm up after 300 to 500 yards. I could have swam forever if not for sheer boredom over time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:

The YMCA is closed. I've been looking at the tidal creek behind my house and wondering if I could survive swimming in it. The water is presently about 50 deg F. I have a fairly thin triathlon wetsuit and neoprene cap, but no booties or gloves. I exchanged messages with a lady online who says she swims nearby with just a swimskin and two regular swim caps, but I doubt I'm tough enough for that.

I've SCUBA dived in a heavier wetsuit and experienced the shock of hitting the thermocline. My breath rate goes through the roof. For my first foray, I'd stay close to the pier.

Another issue is having some sort of swim buoy. I don't have one, but I could tie an orange crab pot buoy to my waist. In my experience, if a boat doesn't see you, it is because nobody onboard is paying attention, so a swim buoy won't make much difference.

A cap, a pair of Googles, swim trunks
Quote Reply