Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Random Duration Power
Quote | Reply
If I'm looking to get a peak power number for 3 minutes, 17 minutes, etc.. how can I do that? I usually utilize Garmin, TrainingPeaks, and Strava, is there a way to put in a custom number in one of the programs to look at the what my peak powers would be over the past year, etc. Not just looking for an effort on one ride, but over all of the rides.

Thanks for the help!

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Re: Random Duration Power [g_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly sure based on the above three sources you have two ways, depending on what you want this for.

1) Get the graphs of the default intervals which are likely to be a pretty neat curve unless you've done some odd specific sessions. Then interpolate that data for the times you stated there 3 mins and 17mins you've got 'good' nearby data points so will not be very far away.

2) Sadly to get the specific times you'd need to create a tool (ie excel) and import the per second data from each activity, work out the rolling average for each of the files, then find the time period max, and then compare that across all activities. The issue is that the identification of the peak 3min isn't done in any of those tools. Note that I am not saying that you can't do this in WKO5 (I'm still on 4), Golden Cheetah, etc, but I am not aware of that feature. Good news, you're probably about to get lots of time to do this calc for yourself. And learn to code..........
Quote Reply
Re: Random Duration Power [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
I'm fairly sure based on the above three sources you have two ways, depending on what you want this for.

1) Get the graphs of the default intervals which are likely to be a pretty neat curve unless you've done some odd specific sessions. Then interpolate that data for the times you stated there 3 mins and 17mins you've got 'good' nearby data points so will not be very far away.

2) Sadly to get the specific times you'd need to create a tool (ie excel) and import the per second data from each activity, work out the rolling average for each of the files, then find the time period max, and then compare that across all activities. The issue is that the identification of the peak 3min isn't done in any of those tools. Note that I am not saying that you can't do this in WKO5 (I'm still on 4), Golden Cheetah, etc, but I am not aware of that feature. Good news, you're probably about to get lots of time to do this calc for yourself. And learn to code..........

1 is the most practical (and should be pretty close). It also accounts for the fact that you may have never tried to do a maximal 3:17 effort....but have 2:00, 5:00, etc. efforts.

For 2, you could merge all the file .csv outputs into a single xlsx file (easy, since none of the workouts overlap on time). From there it's easy to compute the ave power for the last 3:17 as a new column. You can then get the max value in the column.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the power curve in Strava premium. you can interpolate along the curve and it will give your highest power for an given amount of time, both for an individual ride and over a given period of weeks/months.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Mar 24, 20 20:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golden Cheetah

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply