Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dev, We Need Another 100/100
Quote | Reply
Worst case scenario is we are cooped up or limited for the next three months. Maybe a COVID-19 edition of the airing of grievances?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Mar 23, 20 19:59
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, We Need Another 100/100 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. But, I also liked the idea from the other day where any SBR counts. Maybe 1500 swim, or 30min run, or 60m bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, We Need Another 100/100 [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm in. But, I also liked the idea from the other day where any SBR counts. Maybe 1500 swim, or 30min run, or 60m bike?

No swimming, no group runs or rides?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

If you're gong to do that (and I think it's great) what about a 2nd challenge: 100 / 100 (running) and 200/100 (200 workouts in 100 days)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200/100 great idea. 30 minute activity to include run, bike, swim, strength/cardio/TRX/weights.
No hour in between
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, We Need Another 100/100 [eclouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eclouis wrote:
200/100 great idea. 30 minute activity to include run, bike, swim, strength/cardio/TRX/weights.
No hour in between

20 minutes for the 1'st workout but the 2'nd needs to get you to an hour.

5k run and 15 mile bike seems more meaningful than a 4 1/2 mile run and 12 mile bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're talking who can gain 100 pounds in 100 days from laziness correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I have been slammed at work.

I have an idea for a 100/50/race challenge

100 workouts in 50 days. 50 runs is the target, but the goal is to do two workouts per day of which one is a run.

I would imagine most people's second workout is a bike ride...trainer or ideally outdoors

Every 5 days, you do your own race. day 5,15,25, 35, 45 is a 15 km outdoor bike TT (or a bike TT you can do where your total time is close to your 5km run time or within 30%) and on 10, 20, 30, 40, 50th day a 5km running time trial. The "race" is against yourself. You are just trying to improve your run TT and bike TT against yourself, but since everyone is doing it on the same day we can have some banter on how it is going.

So many goals....run 50 times, workout 50 times, race against yourself 10 times. Improve as much as you can.

Keep us busy with some semblance of exercise with frequency to get us organized and have a "performance target" every 5 days.

That's my thought. I think we need a racing outlet but a carrot to keep training....this would fill both as well as we can. I need to ask slowman and ericthebiking how the log can support this concept.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, We Need Another 100/100 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems overly complex to me. And "TT run/bike every 5 days" is just a scheduling nightmare. Weekly makes more scheduling sense to me. Also, due to my drug-regimen, the BIKE-OUTSIDE requirement is a hard NO for me. But, I'd be amenable to a zwift-based surogate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha....I agree people can't think in 5 or 10 day blocks. My thought was that we only have 7 races in 50 days if we go weekly....or we go 14 in 50 days (maybe Wed run TT and bike TT as part of your Sunday ride) ?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate the number 7? It's a perfectly good number. One of my favorites, actually.

But, then I'm not sure why you are limiting this to 50 days, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Why do you hate the number 7? It's a perfectly good number. One of my favorites, actually.

"Why is Six afraid of Seven"
"I know this one ... 'Because seven ate nine'"
"No, it's because Se7en ends with Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

But, then I'm not sure why you are limiting this to 50 days, either.

50 days....a little hope goes a long way. If we go for 100 days that's just basically saying that there is no chance for real events for 100 days (which is more than likely the reality).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call 100 days "Hopeful".
I call 50 days "wildly optomistic".

I think the reality is closer to 180 days.

But, we can always do 2 50 day challenges. :-/
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 24, 20 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely no events within 100 days here in Blighty.
BTF have binned all events until 30 June at the earliest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I call 100 days "Hopeful".
I call 50 days "wildly optomistic".

I think the reality is closer to 180 days.

But, we can always do 2 50 day challenges. :-/

A few things

1. Right now the world needs hope. Anything that we do to make things feel like business as usual and generate a sliver of hope is helpful.
  2. Committing to a 50 day/7 week block is helpful. Implied in this format is a focus on intensity and quality since you are racing often in 2 sports against yourself
  3. The goal is to get 2 workouts in per day to force structure on the lives of those of us who have the structure of daily work and external workouts with teams/pools and clubs removed
  4. When we get to the end of 50 days, we can celebrate...if the world is still shut down, we can decide on a new challenge. No point throwing in the towel on the world being shut down for 100 days
  5. We may not have racing in 50 days, but should the world be open in 50 days we return to our former structure around work

Sooooo....would a 10 day cycle be interesting or 7 day. Personally I am OK with a Wed 5km run TT and weekend 15km bike TT every week. I may sandbag a few of the 5km runs if I don't feel like going full throttle.

Let me know what thoughts you guys have. Let me check with slowman and Ericthebiking what may be possible (or not).

Tom, hope your recovery is going well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for a 7 day cycle (probably obvious).

Assuming at some point during this thing I start running fast again, I'd probably prefer Tue / Sat. But, I don't care that much. I can structure around either.

What are we calling a "workout"? Are we putting any definition on what qualifies (similar to the 30min / 3mile rule in the 100/100)?

I won't actually SANDBAG the TTs, no matter how it looks on the stopwatch.

Recovery: Yes, thanks. Did my first honest 100/100 qualifying run yesterday, and again today. 30+ minutes / 3+ miles of running. Not continuously yet....but rather, run/walk that totalled up the RUN portions only, as required. I'm slow.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 25, 20 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! This is a smashing idea, I think we should do it. However, somehow, Dev has managed to come up with a scheme that would be practically impossible to write code for -- O:-) -- but I think if we simplify it down a bit we could come up with something.

What if we're looking at a weekly series of challenges? What if the challenge were just about logging the races? I've recently added tagging to workouts in the log, so that #Race (comes over from Strava) could be used to differentiate workouts for it. Want to do some kind of improvement metric? Or will y'all sandbag the first ones? Or just consistency?

Let's figure something out, we're all stuck in this together!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, We Need Another 100/100 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Hey everyone! This is a smashing idea, I think we should do it. However, somehow, Dev has managed to come up with a scheme that would be practically impossible to write code for -- O:-) -- but I think if we simplify it down a bit we could come up with something.

What if we're looking at a weekly series of challenges? What if the challenge were just about logging the races? I've recently added tagging to workouts in the log, so that #Race (comes over from Strava) could be used to differentiate workouts for it. Want to do some kind of improvement metric? Or will y'all sandbag the first ones? Or just consistency?

Let's figure something out, we're all stuck in this together!

-Eric

Erik could you have a 100/50 where the workout themselves are logged for frequency and the ones that are "races" are tagged as "race workouts". The hard part I guess is the accrual of run workouts vs "other workouts".

To Tom Hampton, for the daily run the minimum should be the 100/100 run minimum. For the daily bike/other it should 45 min total duration. The idea is to force the second workout (every day is ideally a double, but not a run double)

The code I am thinking is:

if running total workout = 30 min or more today's count = 1
if second workout is not equal to run and is greater than or equal to 45 min today's count = 2

So your second workout only counts if you got your 30 min run as one of the workout. You don't get a 2 if you did a second run. We would not force seperation in time, so you could do a 30 min run + 45 min trainer and get a count of 2 every day from a single brick.

thoughts.

Eric, my thought is you have two challenges shown

100/50 "frequency" challenge
100/50 "racing challenge"

Where the second challenge just pulls your "race tagged" workouts and displays who does what. In this second challenge there would be 14 race entries beside each name which would be populated as they were done (7 runs, 7 bikes).....not sure you can display that but my thought is the columns would be

run1 bike1 run2 bike2 run3 bike3............run7 bike7

No need to sort on any leader board. Maybe display the table in reverse alphabetical order to give the people whose names start with Z some glory. Then it may remove any bitching about people cheating on courses...its there just to race ourselves.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You always make everything too complicated.

JFDo

JFRun
JFWalk
JFBike (indoor/outdoor)
JFSwim (if you can)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply