Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [rucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My motivation slumped a little this week.
10 years ago I could place in my age group, even win.
Then I started a business. 10 years and 100 pounds later, I've dropped 50 pounds.
My 1/2 IM got postponed. Life isn't postponed and I've got more weight to lose.

Since I don't have a 35 minute commute each way, I'm up for a 5 AM Camp Gladiator class and follow it with a run with my dog.
I'm going to fit in riding until we can't.
Then I'm thinking weighted lunges and treadmill time.

If I don't keep working out, I'm going to regain some weight. NOT AN OPTION!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t believe anyone is racing this summer, at all.

That said, I‘m going to build into my race period in June/July regardless, and hit the weights a bit more often instead of the pool. Plan was a bunch of sprints then, and a fall half. I don’t think the half is happening either, but I’ll do a base/build in august/September regardless.

My biggest problem, which is different for everyone, is now time. I was always time crunched, but my wife and I are now working full time at home with a toddler. So we’re switching off segments of the workday and watching her. So where I used to ride the trainer in the early morning and run at lunch from my office, that’s much more complicated now.
Quote Reply
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I have a question for you, Slowtwitchers: considering a very positive scenario, if maybe in mid April we can go outside again after 4 weeks locked at home, is it possible/realistic/healthy/safe to train for an IM in late June/July (all European IM are full since before Christmas, so we are all already registered)? Consider that most of us have a trainer at home, a very basic homemade gym, no treadmill, and absolutely no swimming.
Thank you.[/quote]
I don't think there will be any June/July races. I think its healthy to train and good for the mind as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't even know...just slowly pushing my volume up and trying to build base fitness after the marathon I did in February which definitely crushed me and recovering from that took awhile. Finally felt like I could push the pace and had my first negative split training run on Friday. Closing of the gym sucks because I had hit all of my sessions the last three weeks. But I have a body weight plan going forward.

Really need to work on my cycling and swimming. Running overall kind of takes care of itself for me, so this whole ordeal is very annoying. So it looks like

M- Slow Negative Split Run
Tu- Body weight work
W- Medium Negative Split Run + Long Trainer Session
Th- Body Weight work
F- Threshold Run + Short trainer session
Sa- Long Ride
Su- Long trainer session

This week I got 6.5 hours of training, looking at adding about 40 minutes total of work for next week.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my 2nd 70.3 was supposed to be in June but am expecting it to be called. Hoping maybe postponed but not super optimistic about that. Not going to sign up for any races till day to day life returns to normal again.

That being said I am upping my normal running from 4-5 runs to 5-6 runs a week and biking from 2-3 up to 3-5 a week to replace the swimming sessions. I am also not doing anything too intensive right now, just base miles on the run with strides and a designated long runs. On the bike i'll do some type of short interval (1 to 5 minutes), some type of long interval (10-30 minutes) and a long ride a week in addition to some relaxed Z1/Z2 rides. Basically just hitting an indefinite base period and doing things just because I enjoy them right now. Not following any rigid routine. If I don't race in 2020 then that's fine, I'll just be hitting 2021 with a large base. Will probably hit 2 long distance races next year, either a half and full or 2 halves and some shorter races when I want to
Quote Reply
Re: Your training plan for the next few weeks? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky in that I work in communications for a hospital company. We're not likely to close and I have plenty to do from home. I am saving the time I would normally spend getting my 10-year-old ready for school and commuting, allowing me to sleep a little more, do an hour workout in the morning and still get to my kitchen counter desk before I would typically be at work. Same thing in the afternoons.

Today, I slept until 6:15, ran eight miles and was ready to work (or read Slowtwitch) by 8:30. Last week I logged 11.5 hours, the most this year. It is a bummer I am missing my goal half marathon and the gravel bike race, both in April. Plus my ski trip that was supposed to be *this* week.

I'm registered to do the Portland Bridge in mid-July (three-person relay of 11 miles), but I'm not sure it's gonna happen. I can't swim until open water warms in late April or May in Oregon. I have a 50-mile run on the tentative schedule for mid-October plus whatever local triathlons happen to occur. For the first time in years, I had nothing big on the schedule that involved travel.

So my training is a little unfocused, but I'm just trying to use the extra time each day to get in the best shape I can be. It's nice having this forum to read what like-minded people are thinking ...
Quote Reply

Prev Next