Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran at lunch from work today. As usual... I was the only one out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
lightheir wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
I always wondered how people swam, ran or biked at lunch. Usually I'm eating lunch. Unless these are incredibly short efforts I'm not sure how this is done let alone the value. Swimming really blows my mind. Between travel both ways, changing and swimming, it doesn't seem possible.

I agree, who in the hell gets more than 30 min for lunch? I walk to the microwave, warm up food, walk back, 20 minutes to eat then back to the lovely kids that are at public school because it's free. I'm going to start taking an hour lunch and tell the kids just to sit there if I'm not back in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish..... I’m still working full days and all the gyms/pool are closed so I have nowhere to shower if I try to workout at lunch. Waking up earlier also and by the time I get home, I need to spend time with the family. Almost zero time to get a workout in. Sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You dont need a shower if you are a guy. Towel off well and deodorant is fine. Shower well in am before run and you wont get stinky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still going to the office as one of the *essential* persons, and am not running but WALKING at lunch. Had shoulder surgery 4.5 weeks ago so running isn't green lighted yet. Amazing how fast the weight goes on despite eating well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still working also and work nights but I bring my gear and squeeze in 3 miles during my breaks. What's the old saying "rust never sleeps".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ran an *easy* 3 miler at work during lunch daily for about 2 years. Usually on the treadmill so I can watch some TV and have the fan pointed directly at me so i can stay moderately dry. The gym has closed now and I've been running those 3 miles outside. Planning ahead for the weather has been a challenge, but I welcome the extra alone time as I am essential workforce and being at work around the people is stressful.

To all of those saying you can't be productive in 30 minutes... You're looking at it the wrong way. Lunch workouts are not a time to build, but a time to add extra miles. My running has improved A TON due to an average of 15 extra easy miles a week. Throughout 2019 I shattered PR's and was ready for more.

It takes like 10 minutes to eat my sandwich and sides. Back at my desk 45 minuted after I leave it.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll disagree strongly that lunch runs are 'only for adding easy miles.' Mine and others results have shown otherwise.

There's more than one way to do it. I do both - adding 'easy' miles on top of good weekly volume when appropriate, but also doing VO2max and LT hammerfests when also appropriate.

For me personally, the harder stuff works a lot better - it leaves the longer sessions of 60-120 minutes outside of lunch for those aerobic long sessions for which time IS absolutely essential if you are doing it properly. But even then, if you're doing a lot of total weekly volume already, then sure, the easy 30 minute lunch workout is perfect for that since you might overtrain with the hard 30' added sessions. I've done my fair share of stunningly slow run/bike/swims at lunch - sometimes the senior citizen poolmates at the Y would look at me funny, clearly thinking "WTF is up with you?" when I'm dogging it so slowly!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's still going to work and running at lunch? [donhensley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
donhensley wrote:
What's the old saying "Rust never sleeps".

Quote:
During the Different Fur studio session, Devo vocalist Mark Mothersbaugh added the lyrics "Rust never sleeps", a slogan he remembered from his graphic arts career promoting the automobile rust proofing product Rust-Oleum. Young adopted the line and used it in his Crazy Horse version of the song, as well as for the title of his album.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. I'll go a step further... And say that I execute the bulk of my run plan at lunch: 35 of my 50mpw. I've done as much as 12 miles at lunch (rare). If I add easy miles.... Those are the ones I add at home on the TM. Work/Linch is always on the road.

Granted my schedule is probably more flexible than many. I mostly keep things to an hour, but if I decide to extend... I'll just stay late.
Quote Reply

Prev Next