Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it?
Quote | Reply
Also, what kind of Speedplays should I get? I'll do the change for both my tri and road bike.

I think Speedplays should clip from any position, right? not like Looks where there is only one side to clip to?
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from Speedplay to Shimano and was amazed at the difference. The Shimano felt considerably more stable. Not sure if that is usually experienced but I way preferred it.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zeroes would be the default Speedplay to go with. You can enter from both sides, but the key is that they stay in the position you clipped out from (no need to "kick" them level to clip in).

They are generally lighter and more aero than Looks, and you can get the aero cleat covers (so they are more walkable).

The only real downside is that the cleat is easily plugged with dirt/mud, so if you were to run in your shoes through T1 in a muddy transition area clipping in could be problematic.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like the wide more stable feel of shimano road pedals. And the fact that they don't get fouled up easily when you have to walk or run in dirt.

That said, if you switch over to speedplay, you do have to lower your saddle a little bit, since speedplays have a bit lower stack height.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, yes. I did and would never go back. I switched as a result of a medical bike fit (after injury), needing the adjustability of Speedplay. But even without that I would not switch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried Shimano, Look, and Speedplay and like Speedplay the best. I think the entry is something you get used to with any pedal, I like how serviceable they are, the ability to limit/increase the float depending on preference. Also, I think they have more adjustment range in the cleat for q-factor, definitely in spindle lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zeros should probably be your default. Get the new walkable cleats (I think they come standard with pedals now). Super easy to clip in and out of. The downside, as mentioned, is that it's easier for your cleats to get mucked up...even a little sand can make clipping in a bitch. Due to this, I would say Speedplays require more maintenance and care. I regularly clean my cleats out and relube. Not that they necessarily need it...just to keep them working to my standards. If you want a bombproof, stable pedal, get Shimano.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Speedplay being a life-long Look user... absolutely hated them. Overcomplicated, more difficult in my opionion to get in and out, and just an overall poor experience. I returned them.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with speedplays - maybe I didn't get them enough time but they were really tough to clip into and so switched over to some dura ace pedals and have had absolutely no issues. Like the feel of the wider base/more stability so far
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M90 wrote:
Start with speedplays - maybe I didn't get them enough time but they were really tough to clip into and so switched over to some dura ace pedals and have had absolutely no issues. Like the feel of the wider base/more stability so far

Difficulty clipping in is often a result of over tightening the cleats to the shoes. My brother had the same issue. He had to remount to get them to loosen, but it fixed all the issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
M90 wrote:

Difficulty clipping in is often a result of over tightening the cleats to the shoes. My brother had the same issue. He had to remount to get them to loosen, but it fixed all the issues.

I was in a bike shop several times working on my bike fit and mentioned it a few times.

They were able to loosen things up once but after that they said it was all they could do.

I had issues clipping in. On one side it got much easier on the other it didn’t at all and when I did clip in there was no clipping sound so it was bit of a guessing game.

Maybe I’ll give them another chance down the line but for now I’ll stick with the dura ace pedals. No fuss with them at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running X2s for over two decades, including the actual original pair I bought. I switched from Sampson Stratics! I do run the Zero Paves on my bike I travel with. I do not see myself ever switching brands.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had issues clipping in. On one side it got much easier on the other it didn’t at all and when I did clip in there was no clipping sound so it was bit of a guessing game.

For people that have persistent issues clipping in to Speedplay pedals, the reason is usually that when they step down on to the pedal, their foot comes into contact with the pedal at an angle. The design of the cleat mechanism is such that you basically can't clip in until the surfaces of the cleat and pedal are in the same plane. Quite often just understanding that this is what is happening is enough to solve the problem (relax your foot, let it very slightly tilt as it makes contact with the pedal, you're now in) but for others (like me!) it may be necessary to use cleat wedges to adjust the angle of the cleat on the bottom of the shoe so that it is in the same plane as the pedal when making contact.
FWIW, people who blow the bearings out of Speedplay pedals in a short amount of time usually have a similar problem; foot wants to toggle sideways on the pedal, and this wears out the thrust bearing.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your comments!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started with Speedplay...have Garmin Vector 3...I am sure I will get rid of them and go back to Speedplay..I miss them so much!! Maybe its all what you are used to but I never looked down to clip-in with Speedplay...with Vectors I am still unsure and I have a bit more float in one pedal than the other (biomechanics) and I just miss them...did I say I miss them? :P

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Started with Speedplay...have Garmin Vector 3...I am sure I will get rid of them and go back to Speedplay..I miss them so much!! Maybe its all what you are used to but I never looked down to clip-in with Speedplay...with Vectors I am still unsure and I have a bit more float in one pedal than the other (biomechanics) and I just miss them...did I say I miss them? :P

Another here who bought Assioma Favero pedals, so now on the Look platform. I think it all depends on what you want from your pedals. I decided I wanted PM pedals, so limited on what I could get. I was on Shimano before. Never tried Speedplay, but have always been intrigued by them. If they made PM pedals with Speedplay I would have tried them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually on the fence of going back to a look style from speedplay. I have been using speedplays on my tri bike for probably 15 years. Have mucked with them a ton and still find it difficult to clip in. I have look style on my road bike and for simplicity and the ability to use either shoe on either bike I think I am sold on going back to a delta cleat.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
M90 wrote:

Yes. Read the little instructional pamphlet the pedals come with. It has torque ratings. Follow them.

Also Speedplays are very tight first few times you clip/unclip. Practice clipping and unclipping on a trainer and that will serve both purposes. It will loosen the mechanism and make it considerably smoother very quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching from Look to Speedplay pedals - Is it worth it? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Traket92x wrote:
M90 wrote:

Yes. Read the little instructional pamphlet the pedals come with. It has torque ratings. Follow them.

Also Speedplays are very tight first few times you clip/unclip. Practice clipping and unclipping on a trainer and that will serve both purposes. It will loosen the mechanism and make it considerably smoother very quickly.

I gave them a good shot. It just wasn't working for me.

I just couldn't get it consistent enough.

Haven't had any issues at all since I switched to the dura ace pedals so going to stick with them.

Not saying the Speedplays are bad at all - just weren't working for me is all
Quote Reply