Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clean living and religion are bad for your health...PROOF AT LAST!
Quote | Reply
My beer swilling coffee drinking, God ignoring ways are keeping me healthy obviously. BYU Study Finds Mormons Weigh More

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

(02-14) 15:56 PST Orem, Utah (AP) --

Mormons on average weigh 4.6 pounds more than other Utahns, a study by a Brigham Young University professor concluded. The study also found that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were 14 percent more likely than nonmembers to be obese. That was 18 percent for men, and 9 percent for women.

The study was made by BYU health science professor Ray Merrill from data obtained in 1996, 2001 and 2003-2004 by the Utah Health Status Survey.

The most recent numbers, while still high, showed there has been some improvement since 1996, when Mormon adults were found to be 5.7 pounds heavier on average and 34 percent more likely to be obese.

Merrill's study suggests Mormons may be using excessive eating as a substitute for prohibited indulgences such as smoking and drinking.

"For years, the church has focused on the don'ts — don't smoke, don't drink, and all the other things that you shouldn't do that are heavily enforced," said Steve Aldana, a BYU professor who presented some of the study's findings at a recent heart conference at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.

"There has been little emphasis on the do's — eat good foods and exercise," he said. "In the church, we have a lot of don'ts, and now finally here's a do — go ahead and do eat — and boy, do we eat."

Aldana, a health and human performance professor at the Mormon church-owned university, said the weight problem is a growing trend both in the state and in the nation as a whole.

"It's been a slow and gradual trend, and now when we stop and take a look, this is where we are . . . this has crept up on us, and now it's dramatic," he said.

Aldana said the church is one of the few organizations actively working on the problem by instituting a wellness program for its employees and calling wellness missionaries. But, he said, there is much more to be done.

"You still aren't hearing this over the pulpit," he said.

A spokesman for the church declined comment, the church-owned Deseret Morning News said.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Clean living and religion are bad for your health...PROOF AT LAST! [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, who let Matt out of the Lav?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Clean living and religion are bad for your health...PROOF AT LAST! [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that unusual and hard to believe. I can't think of one fat Mormon. Maybe a few of the Osmonds. That's about it.

Quote | Reply
There was a UCLA study in the 80's(I think) that looked at "practicing" Mormons. They lived 11 years longer than the average american, had 1/3 the cancer, heart disease etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Clean living and religion are bad for your health...PROOF AT LAST! [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know enough Mormons to say whether they're more obese than average. But there's this from the LDS website, if anyone thinks it really matters.

The 14-year study conducted by the University of California — Los Angeles concluded that people who adhere to the Latter-day Saint health code experience dramatic health benefits.

The UCLA study, completed in 1997, tracked mortality rates and health practices of 10,000 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in California.

Specific findings: Church members who adhered to the code had one of the lowest death rates from cancer and cardiovascular disease in the United States — roughly half that of the general population. The study also indicated that Church members who obeyed the code had a life expectancy eight to 11 years longer than the general white population of the United States

The reason? John Ward, M.D., medical director of the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City, says the code is effective because it requires eating patterns consistent with established medical advice.

"It's the latest advice from the medical community. If you look at the National Cancer Institute's advice to people, it will include things like eating fruits and vegetables and using alcohol sparingly and avoiding tobacco," Ward says.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And more generally:

In recent years, behavioral and medical scientists have begun to much better evaluate empirically the relationship between religious faith and health outcomes. A growing number of well-conceived and methodologically rigorous studies have been conducted to examine if religious beliefs and behaviors might be related to health benefits or health risks. In fact, 1,200 professional scholarly studies and 400 reviews have now been published on this topic during the past 100 years (Koenig, McCullough, & Larson, 2001). The vast majority of this scholarship has occurred during the past 15 years. Specifically, many investigations have suggested that religiousness is associated with better health practices, enhanced ability to cope with adversity and illness, and lower rates of mortality from all causes. Other studies have noted a relationship among lower anxiety, depression, and substance abuse, and higher self-esteem, marital adjustment, life satisfaction, and well being. Research has also begun to explore whether forgiveness, hope, and service to others are associated with positive health outcomes, such as lower cardiovascular risks and mortality rates. A few recent books have been published for laypersons (e.g., Koenig, 1997) and scholars (e.g., Koenig et al., 2001; Plante & Sherman, 2001).

STATISTICAL CONNECTIONS

What does this research conclude? Research generally supports the notion that religiousness is associated with positive mental and physical health outcomes. This includes less depression, loneliness, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and behaviors, alcohol abuse, and delinquency as well as more hope, life purpose, social support, marital adjustment, optimism, and well being among those who tend to be religious. Furthermore, the health benefits among the religious include 36 percent fewer deaths (23 percent fewer deaths after controlling for health practices such as drinking alcohol and smoking). In fact, infrequent church attendees are twice more likely to develop cardiovascular disease than frequent attendees and are 4 to 7 times more likely to have a heart attack. Hypertension is 40 percent lower for those who maintain a spiritual practice than those who do not. Meditation has been found to lower cortisol and other physiological stress reactivity levels (which are independent risk factors for cardiovascular and other diseases) as well as lower hypertension, neuroendocrine responses, and mortality from all causes. Overall, the religious live 7.6 years longer than the nonreligious after statistically controlling for numerous relevant variables such as health practices, social support, socioeconomic level, family history of disease, and so forth (McCullough, Hoyt, Larson, Koenig, & Thoresen, 2000). These findings are especially strong for women and for public religiousness (i.e., attending religious services). Private religiousness (i.e., strength of faith, private prayer) is more closely associated with better health practices but not as strongly associated with increased longevity.

Service to others (e.g., people who volunteer their time to charitable causes) is also closely associated with many health benefits. In fact, volunteers have a 40 percent lower mortality rate relative to people who do not volunteer even after statistically controlling for social support and other relevant variables.

http://www.scu.edu/...1/faithandhealth.cfm

Proof that the good don't necessarily die young. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They may weigh more because of multiple wives each cooking?

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Clean living and religion are bad for your health...PROOF AT LAST! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing, there were a lot of mormons in the town in Oregon where I grew up, my best friend in high school is mormon, and I can think of maybe two out of more then 100 that were even close to obese. This wasn't a long time ago either, I graduated from high school in 2002.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BYU Study Finds Mormons Weigh More

It's the weight of the(ir) (future) world upon their shoulders.

Or, maybe they just like chili cheese fries.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply