Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I was super on track for an early may marathon, had been swimming lots to get ready for Penticton in August

i'm currently about to start week 2 of my pity party, I think i'll do that for another week to deal with the stress (wife and I are both basically out of work and have 2 young kids, etc...)
\

Oh crap, sorry to hear about the "basically out of work part". I am highly fortunate that I have a basic salary for a decent runway. I went 18 months without a paycheque when the last company I worked at went under and I decided it was time to do my own tech company, so I feel the no revenue pain as it is recent memory and I want to do what I can so none of my employees have to go through that. That's if we can make it through.

I do think some semblance of a structured plan would be good. The two other times in my life I was laid off, it was the structured training that really helped....having said that, I did not end up out of work when the entire world was tanking. This is a completely different time that we have never seen in our lifetimes. I am way more concerned abouthe economic fallout than the biological. We will get this thing slowed down enough to come up with a vaccine fast enough. There are enough people who care a lot and a lot of money that will be put behind this and governments will expedite tests. That will take care of sorting that side out in due course (maybe only by next winter, but I feel we will get through this)...companies we will have a tough go. I hope it works out well for you and your wife!
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually getting fit as f..ck with this wfh thing. But I have a Vasa, so that helps.

Generally, I simply block a recurring meeting on my work calendar and use that for vasa/zwifting/running. If people attempt to doublebook me, I gently ask them not to do it.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my pity party last week while we cancelled vacations, birthday parties for the kids, etc. My wife is a teacher, I work in construction/project management at a Hospital, so both are jobs are OK right now so it's hard to really complain. With 3 kids at home, my wife doing her teaching online and me trying to work from home it is nuts though. I usually work early, leave house at 4:30, work 5:30 to 1pm so I can beat traffic in and out. On my way home I'd stop at the pool or get home early to run/bike, then I'm home for kids off the bus and sneak emails/work in to finish up the day. Now I'm trying to switch to early AM but my body is not wanting to be super active that early. Again, not the worst problems especially in today's landscape but totally flipping the script on training is tough once you have a good schedule down.
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I'm a single dad with two small kids, so my training time is trying to not get fat and move my body a little every day. LOL, even my kids are begging for school to start up again and it has only been a week of dad's homeschool

I have so much respect for this. My wife stays at home with our 2 small ones and I seriously wouldn’t last a week. Couldn’t really imagine doing that on my own 😂. Not easy.
Last edited by: triguy86: Mar 23, 20 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
many years ago, an older and retired acquaintance of my Mom said:
"When you get up in the morning, put on your shoes. If you put on your shoes, then you are going to do something. If you put on your slippers, you aren't."

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are both triathletes, both Type A, both in charge at work (different jobs).......................and both working from home.

She didn't realize that I was the boss now so I had to call HR on her....................

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in the same boat. I’ve worked from home for a few years but now that people are buying less because they’re also on lockdown, my days don’t end and my training is actually down. I’ve rearranged tons of workouts to hit 1 hr rather than 1.5-2hrs. And I’m only on the bike now, not running.
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
I’m in the same boat. I’ve worked from home for a few years but now that people are buying less because they’re also on lockdown, my days don’t end and my training is actually down. I’ve rearranged tons of workouts to hit 1 hr rather than 1.5-2hrs. And I’m only on the bike now, not running.

I have another complexity with is early morning conf calls with customers in Europe and Middle East and some very late night stuff with India. I decided that on those days, I will block off a really extended lunch break (today I took over 2 hrs because of being up with India at midnight last night and Europe guys at 7 am today). On days without that, I will stick to early morning and evening. I am booking off the 2 hrs mid day and then I have the option to use it for training or work thru
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

She didn't realize that I was the boss now so I had to call HR on her....................

How'd that work out for ya?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm loving it. Can do the work from home and save 3.5 hours/day of mindless commuting. Work/Life balance just got alot easier and less fatiguing. If only the (little)pool would heat up.. fffing cold stil here so no use turning on the heat just yet.

Looks like 2/3 Ironmans are going to be cancelled but still hoping for the one mid august (kalmar). Lots of base training on the bike, nothing too heavy in case we pick up Covid. Focus is still on.
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I am actually getting fit as f..ck with this wfh thing. But I have a Vasa, so that helps.

Generally, I simply block a recurring meeting on my work calendar and use that for vasa/zwifting/running. If people attempt to doublebook me, I gently ask them not to do it.

Ha - I'm not working from home, but I too am making good use of the increased time available due to decreased workload and traffic - I've gotten in 2.5hrs/day for the past 5 days, which is amazing. 1 hr of Vasa in the morning, and then 1.5 hrs of running on weekdays using an longer-than-normal lunch break (no shower - just towel off!), alternating with 1-1.5hr bike then 1hr run on other days.

I haven't run outside this much in ages, and it feels GREAT. I'm also looking forward to a real Vasa focus block to amp up that arm pull power more than I get in the pool. Did a satisfyling hard bunch of 2' hard 2' off for 30 minutes and then 30 minutes moderate-easy on the Vasa this AM, felt solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s awesome you can book time off. We run a retail webstore and when sales happen sales happen. And I’m not the boss ;) lol so my hours are very flexible in a bad way.

I think a lot of people are going to discover that working from home is not always the best thing!
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
That’s awesome you can book time off. We run a retail webstore and when sales happen sales happen. And I’m not the boss ;) lol so my hours are very flexible in a bad way.

I think a lot of people are going to discover that working from home is not always the best thing!

I would much rather work from the office...its funny, my wife and I are probably self isolating from each other inside the house because suddenly I am here ALL THE TIME!!! On a plus note I moved my "office" out of the basement from beside my treadmill + spin bike + computrainer + rowing erg + weights + elliptical to our bedroom. It means my work life and training life are at least physically decoupled! Now my work life and sleep life are overlapped LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummmm not so good.....lol
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After completely bailing last week, I'm trying to change it up this week back into a routine. Getting up, working out, showering, and actually putting on real work clothes to sit in the kitchen and try and work. At least mentally I'm back on schedule, hope this pans out and the kiddo cooperates.
Quote Reply
Re: Work From Home = Training in the Tank [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I manage a restaurant and we've been closed for over a week and it's been great for me. I've been ramping up training a ton. Unfortunately my marathon on 3/21 got cancelled so that's a bummer. I'm building on my run fitness and adding biking in as well for Augusta 70.3 in September (hopefully won't get cancelled).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As some others have stated, my only training that has suffered during this situation is my swimming...and I'll just suck it up in June at my first race of the season (assuming it happens); that's what a buoyant wetsuit is for, right? ;)

We both work for the IT department of a major hospital system, and have been remote for over a week. We have a dedicated home office, and are sticking to our normal routine. I think this is the key...otherwise you'll go mad. But we're still serving our customers and patients, and that's what matters most.

We work and train together, so for us, there's very little difference (other than we have a window and we're in the same office (IRL we're in separate areas of the same building)).

Still running outside, as our home is pretty rural and we have lots of unoccupied trails and paths. Zwift is our cycling tool, due to weather and the ability to "go long" without the risk of getting near the larger population center not far from us.

Taking each day as it comes, that's all we can do.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the exact same boat. When I was working in my office, it was fairly easy to switch modes between work, home, and exercise. Around 5:00 most people would leave, and so would I.

Now, it's really hard to shut work off and do other things, especially when i don't have a goal race on my calendar. Thankfully, Mid South 100 was an A race, and I got to squeeze that in before everything shut down.

A product i've been working on for months is scheduled to launch next week, so there's the "everything is on fire" mentality right now with work. Plus, because of COVID19, we had almost 100x new users last week to onboard into one of our other products. Even though i don't work in support, i've been answering the tickets that have been coming in non-stop. Since there's no end to the tickets, it feels like there's no end to my work day.

On a side note, i did get to unplug for a bit yesterday evening and go ride. I went through a neighborhood and there were so many families out walking. It was cool to see that many people outside enjoying the day. It reminded me of the 2 week phase a few years ago when everyone was playing Pokemon Go. Usually that neighborhood is like a ghost town and you don't see anyone out and about. Yesterday it felt alive. Silver linings...
Quote Reply

Prev Next