Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is mostly meant to be tongue and cheek.... similar to almost anything in life. There’s when you are something (parent, New Englander, adult) and then there are those moments when you REALLY become one. Let’s try and take it lightly and have fun.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
When you debate online about trivial things that have nothing to do with swim/bike/run.
That's not specific to triathletes!
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agree to disagree. If someone says to me “I’m a hockey player.” I’m not envisioning a pick game on Thursday night Anymore than I would think someone that says “I’m a lawyer” is someone who reads legal books for fun.

One thing is for certain... you ARE a Lawyer.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just making a statement.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, indeed!!!
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
When you debate online about trivial things that have nothing to do with swim/bike/run.

When you debate online on a swim/bike/run forum about trivial things that have nothing to do with swim/bike/run.

Fixed it.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

When you debate online on a swim/bike/run forum about trivial things that have nothing to do with swim/bike/run.

Fixed it.
You win!
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Fixed it.
You win!

Ha! Well, I am a triathlete, so winning is all I care about. Oh yeah, and getting the last word :)

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:

When you debate online about trivial things that ARE about Swim and Bike and Run 🙄
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully by September this year, right now I'm a reluctant duathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only after you spend $10,000 on a bike and look like a complete tool wearing your aero helmet on training rides

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you have done your first sprint and your wife tells everyone she knows that you are a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you shave your upper torso and legs for a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
About 5 minutes after you finish your first race and your initial thoughts of never again turn to “I wonder if I....”

Laying all your bike stuff out on a Friday night so you can hit the roads first thing for a century...and being excited about it....

Winning your Age Group in the local sprint and realizing deep down it does matter to you even though you only had 4 guys in your Age Group.

Feeling that “flow state” when your stroke is smooth and the water rushes by, or when 7 minute miles seem effortless, or when you feel like you can do 200 watts until the cows come home.

Having a better looking body than most people half your age.

Separating your shoulder...again

Running the last 200 yards of an Ironman....especially on Ali’i Drive...

Meeting my local swim crew for a current driven 2.5 mile swim on a Jersey July day...

Eating as much pasta as I want

Owning more than 6 bikes

Throwing away 20 old, leaky goggles...

Realizing your swim or bike shorts are becoming a little x rated as they wear out.

Lose another toe nail

Notice that the t shirt you’re wearing isn’t from a race

Putting all your medals and trophies in the closet because there are just too many of them and really, should you really have that big of a trophy for beating that newbie guy in your age group in a Super Sprint?

Drop $3500 for a kickr bike because #fuckCoVid....

That’s a great, thoughtful response.

I think it’s that moment when you finish your first race and you go from “training to do a triathlon” to having a race finish, regardless of the result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When your first priority during family vacation planning includes looking for a suitable lap pool and a bike shop. Can't miss a week of training
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you don't just tell co-workers about your workout, you want to show it to them on your 735.

When you know what a 735 is.

When your spouse asks if you got in a workout today and you're disappointed they didn't check your Strava.

Seriously though, this: I think it’s that moment when you finish your first race and you go from “training to do a triathlon” to having a race finish, regardless of the result.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you break the Watt-record on the trainer of a regular (not specialized on sports) cardiologist during an exercise ECG.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
When you don't just tell co-workers about your workout, you want to show it to them on your 735.

When you know what a 735 is.

When your spouse asks if you got in a workout today and you're disappointed they didn't check your Strava.

I've done many tris over the past 35+ years, including Kona and Worlds, and don't know what a 735 is. :) Assume it is some kind of fancy watch.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 21, 20 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a not a triathlete- I think when you have done a race and continue to do them.
I can not accept the one and done people, unless it is Everest or something similar.
It is not about winning, it is the continual challenge and pursuit that you have that impresses me.
When I do a long ride and think you guys hop off and go run....
Not to mention those childhood ear aches from swim team in the Catskills.

It’s my third post tonight so I have to log off. Must be the stress or the 1.5 beers.

Stay healthy and sane everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not called being a triathlete, it's something entirely else 🤣🤣
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When your at a party and can't figure out what to tell people first.....that your a triathlete or vegan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you shave your legs all year round.
When you keep training even though there is no chance of a race this year.
When you have permanent goggle marks on your face.
When friends continually tell you that you need to put a few pounds in weight on.
When you have more bikes than you know what to do with.
When your garage is full of all sorts of bits of kit that you will never ever use again but you can not bare to throw away (race numbers, old tyres, racing flats, etc).
When you could fall asleep standing up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next