Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had seen that old 36' vid a long time ago, thanks for digging it up for us. And yes, the breaststroke had not been flushed out as of then, pretty funny to see guys doing butterfly pulls too. But after all of that, horrible stroke, horrible pools, horrible everything, guys still does a 2;41 for LCM.

Guess we will have to go back much further for me to be able to win that gold medal at 64 now. Thats a pretty good yard time for me nowadays.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
[quote ericmulk

What do you mean by "to stop his muscles oscillating"???

Reduced muscle vibration. Supposed to make the swimmer more hydrodynamic (so to speak) & also reduce lactic acid buildup... although I am not sure how scientific the testing was ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
[quote ericmulk

What do you mean by "to stop his muscles oscillating"???

Reduced muscle vibration. Supposed to make the swimmer more hydrodynamic (so to speak) & also reduce lactic acid buildup... although I am not sure how scientific the testing was ;)

Ah, of course the old reduced muscle vibration. Honestly, I did not know that "excessive muscle vibration" was a thing per se. But in any case, thanks for this info. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think muscle vibration and compression are the same thing when we are talking about these super suits. We absolutely know that the compression works, in fact it may be the biggest factor in speed out of the suits. Muscle vibration is probably a long lost description, but related to the compression we all talk about now.

Intuitively they knew the suits were fast with slicker materials, but also to be as tight as possible. Not sure they were able to articulate that in 2000, but from that point the suits just got tighter and tighter, up to the point where we use 3 to 6 sizes smaller for our jammers and women's suits now. Basically you race in the smallest suit you can get on, using others for help, and up to 30 minutes to perform the ritual..
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think muscle vibration and compression are the same thing when we are talking about these super suits. We absolutely know that the compression works, in fact it may be the biggest factor in speed out of the suits. Muscle vibration is probably a long lost description, but related to the compression we all talk about now.
Intuitively they knew the suits were fast with slicker materials, but also to be as tight as possible. Not sure they were able to articulate that in 2000, but from that point the suits just got tighter and tighter, up to the point where we use 3 to 6 sizes smaller for our jammers and women's suits now. Basically you race in the smallest suit you can get on, using others for help, and up to 30 minutes to perform the ritual..

Ah, so "muscle vibration control" is more or less what compression does. I guess this makes sense. I've never worn any of the "super suits" so I can't say from experience. My only semi-related thing is wearing the wetsuit. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing this one back, for the ladies.. This race was the David and Goliath match up, and Goliath has since been shown to have been doped to the gills..

https://www.youtube.com/...IqpMuTOy5qOvboecaXiM
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was awesome.
did you (or anyone) catch the replay of M Phelps Bejing Gold-a-Thon last night?

I can watch that 400fr relay a million times and I literally cannot talk for a couple min after each time.

Amazing stuff.

Thanks for sharing Monty

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Bringing this one back, for the ladies.. This race was the David and Goliath match up, and Goliath has since been shown to have been doped to the gills..

https://www.youtube.com/...IqpMuTOy5qOvboecaXiM

Monty, have you watched the documentary on 1976 team, “The Last Gold” it’s on Amazon Prime. It’s a great watch.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like no swimming for sometime, so lets relive the past for a bit [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, have you watched the documentary on 1976 team, “The Last Gold” it’s on Amazon Prime. It’s a great watch. //

Thanks for that recommendation, I watched it last night and it was awesome. A real tribute to a forgotten team, and loved the current interviews with most of the primaries from the games. I wonder why all those old swims and records have not been overturned? Seems to me there is as much evidence as one could ever hope for that they were doping, the doc's and swimmers all admitting it. Seems a travesty to let all those old swims still stand and populate the record books.

And funny that women's team was reported to have been the worst team ever(as in medals and finals swam), but when you back out all the illegal swims of the GDR, they have the best record ever for a US team...THis should be fixed..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely, the East Germans prevented an all time great Olympic showing by our women.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next