Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First IM/70.3 in US for 2020? [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on folks...let's please get real. We're learning more about this thing with every passing day. First it was only old people with underlying conditions will get really sick/die - wrong. Just read the accounts of otherwise healthy people getting ill. Second was we can flatten the curve by staying inside - well, the problem is that between the current wave hitting NYC, the incoming waves from Spring Break irresponsibility, the health care system is going to be seriously slammed for the next several weeks/months. I've been on line with a person I raced with from NYC - she's got it, suffering pretty badly, and can't even get a test. Talking about summer and fall racing is about as realistic as talking about filling the churches at Easter. Assuming (and that's a big assumption) that treatments are on the horizon or even an actual vaccine, you're looking at some real economic devastation for the entire global economy. With literally millions of people losing jobs, airlines tanking, and municipalities looking at the impact on their local economies and healthcare networks as a result of this, do you really think there's going to be a lot of interest in what' generally seen as a fringe/niche sport for a bunch of narcissists?

I was signed up for four races this year, including Oceanside, Lake Placid, Age Groups, and North Carolina. I am already resigned to the fact these will be pushed to the right by a year...I am still training to the extent I can while working from home, kid wrangling, and trying to responsibly shop and cook. I think we all need to focus on priorities. Yes, triathlon is important but for the vast majority of folks here, it's not our living. For those for whom it's their living, I really hope WTC/Wada recognizes that helping the pros out during this time to keep the sport alive is a worthwhile investment and perhaps the right thing to do. Regarding branded race gear, WTC/Wada should consider donating it to people in need at this time rather than try to squeeze the last cent (yuan?) out of branded merchandise from races that are three years old.

Kudos to DeSoto for doing the right thing and retooling its mills to make masks and ppe. I've reached out to others off line to encourage some of the plants in Colombia to do the same thing. We need more masks and less custom spandex.

Rant over.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM/70.3 in US for 2020? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
i've been on line with a person I raced with from NYC - she's got it, suffering pretty badly, and can't even get a test.

how does she know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do agree with you on all points.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM/70.3 in US for 2020? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High fever, loss of taste and smell, body aches and difficulties breathing. She was told not to bother doing the test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC is bound by the local, state and federal mandates. If there are no or pulled permits to host a race it will not happen. I seriously doubt any race cancellation or postponement by WTC is a result of caring for the health and welfare if its athletes and volunteers.

I had surgery in Feb and made a claim for IMSG with Booking Protect and they are refusing my "Valid" Claim. I am waiting for my registration email for Kona and it is weeks late. I also asked if I could transfer IMSG reg to Kona and no reply. Perhaps WTC has not been issued a race permit for Kona? Perhaps if they take registration fees knowing they don't have a permit it would be fraud?

Imagine the international contingent arriving in Kona risking a new pandemic assuming we are out of the window by then..... that would be horrible.....
Quote Reply
Re: First IM/70.3 in US for 2020? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with you regarding WTC being bound by local permits and yet did you see the ridiculous situation when San Diego county preemptively canceled Oceanside? The mighty WTC machine leaned on the county to have the news pulled from the website. Let’s keep in mind this is the same company that issues cease and desist orders to local tattoo parlors from doing M dot tattoos.

No doubt for their upcoming virtual events they’ll require paid participation on whatever craptastic Zwift knockoff they create as well as a hefty virtual race entrance fee.
Quote Reply

Prev Next