Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring pain on road bike
Quote | Reply
After spending some time (a few months) not using the road bike much at all, I got back on it this past weekend. It seems that the hamstring pain that started last April during a hard race and went away slowly over the summer and fall as I used the tri bike more was certainly caused by the road bike fit.

Can anyone tell me what they would start adjusting (in little increments) to try to alleviate this? Saddle height, setback?
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring pain on road bike [hokietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight lowering of the saddle (2mm), or moving it forward (5mm) will generally help. Both of these reduce the effective length from the saddle to the pedals. I personally find this to be an issue if I'm sitting too far back on my road saddle (n=1).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring pain on road bike [hokietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hokietris wrote:
After spending some time (a few months) not using the road bike much at all, I got back on it this past weekend. It seems that the hamstring pain that started last April during a hard race and went away slowly over the summer and fall as I used the tri bike more was certainly caused by the road bike fit.

Can anyone tell me what they would start adjusting (in little increments) to try to alleviate this? Saddle height, setback?

Two years ago, I suffered from high hamstring tendinopathy (HHT). When I started back riding my bike, I chose to ride my gravel bike easy on a local rails to trails. Even riding easy, it really irritated my hamstring. Then, one weekend, I hopped back on my road bike and did a two hour ride. I had zero hamstring irritation. Both bikes have a very similar geometry and set up. Only difference was each bike had a different saddle. I replaced the saddle on my gravel bike, with the exact same saddle as m road bike, and then had no more trouble on my gravel bike either
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring pain on road bike [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious, what saddle caused the irritation and which felt better? Going through a similar scenario right now and would like to know if there are certain "features" inherent to some saddles that irrigate the hamstring. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring pain on road bike [caamano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caamano wrote:
I'm curious, what saddle caused the irritation and which felt better? Going through a similar scenario right now and would like to know if there are certain "features" inherent to some saddles that irrigate the hamstring. Thanks!

I cannot recall the saddle that irritated my hamstring but the one I use now is the Power saddle by Specialized
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring pain on road bike [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had improvement with a shorter crank. Also notch up your core training.

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Last edited by: aikiman44: Apr 20, 20 18:44
Quote Reply