Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
we cancelled the Penticton Triathlon Club Bare Bones Duathlon for May 9 which serves as the provincial championships. With the sanction event suspensions to April 30th across Canada and growing list of no travel it is a no brainer. Small little event of 80-100 athletes with 30+ registered thus far but we were at stage to start cutting cheques to suppliers. We will be providing refunds less registration admin fees which our supplier CCN is doing on cost recovery basis. I really feel for independent race directors (as i do all entrepreneurs taking massive hits right now) like Dynamic race events; Multisport Canada; Subaru Tri Series; Great White North etc. etc...this is their livelihood and even if the races can be made to happen, no one will be travelling but for locals.

I honestly do not think sporting events are happening anytime before June and probably July. And IF the Olympics happen it may well be athlete only. I mean the IOC has the money!

in about a months time Ottawa marathon weekend will have to make a decision. Its the largest run weekend in Canada and last Olympic qualifier for the marathon as a gold certified race.

I just got this from Ian Fraser, Ottawa Marathon:

------------------------------
COVID-19 Update: Run Ottawa is pausing registration on all events effective immediatelyDear runners,

As the COVID-19 situation and directives from public health agencies continue to evolve quickly, we have decided to temporarily pause new registrations for all of Run Ottawa’s events, including Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend and Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon.

We, like all of you, love Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend, and we are very hopeful we will be able to proceed with the event as planned. However, we recognize that the situation is fluid and felt it would be best to pause all new registrations as we continue to monitor the situation.

Let us reiterate that, with over two months to go before our event, we have not yet made a decision to cancel or postpone the 2020 Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend though we realize that, for public health reasons, this may be required. We continue to be in constant contact with all relevant health authorities and we will follow their recommendations.

The health and safety of our runners, volunteers, spectators, and the community at large is our priority. We are as committed to you as you are to your training for Canada’s biggest race weekend.

Note that this pause in registration does not impact previously registered participants. We are full steam ahead with our preparations for this year’s event, and are keeping our fingers crossed that we will receive the blessing of our health authorities to proceed safely.

We are all in this together. Keep on running!

Ian Fraser, Executive Director, Run Ottawa
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What local triathlons 😔
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

All future races are in question along with our health and income. Triathlons don't mean sh#t right now

——-

Spot on.

BC health just issues by-law against all social gatherings 50+ until May 31. Nanaimo cancelled and Oliver tris for June 8/9 Rightfully cancelled.

WestJet come Sunday have ground all international flights.

I wonder how long until all those CEOs who signed their pledge (Bank of America and co) in 2019 that its more than shareholder value start layoffs.

https://www.forbes.com/...rofits/#5f200927581b

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So where is USAT in all of this? Have they issued specific guidance to RDs? And seriously, for the first time I would think there was some value to USAT if they took member fees and used them to provide support to RDs that have to cancel.

I looked on their web page this morning. All USAT has on Covid19 is a March 5 statement, "we're monitoring...", some links to CDC, and announcements about postponements for Collegiate Club & High School National Championships and Sarasota-Bradenton ITU Triathlon & Paratriathlon World Cups. Nothing specific on local races.

In contrast, USA Cycling suspended permits on all events through April 5, and recommended cancellation of all sanctioned events immediately. They have also provided webinars and specific guidance to promoters, etc.

At the very least, I'm surprised the USAT underwriter is OK with USAT sanctioned events moving forward in the face of multiple recommendations against such gatherings. Will the waiver protect USAT when there is a cluster outbreak that can be traced back to a USAT sanctioned event?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s rediculous. Triathlon Canada in conjunction with all provincial governing bodies suspended all sanctioned races to April 30 with a review every two weeks. It will get extended to end of May at least. And TriCan ordered elites home as insurances run out end of month. It was a coordinated and well executed communication to protect athletes and volounteers and communities.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

BC health just issues by-law against all social gatherings 50+ until May 31. Nanaimo cancelled and Oliver tris for June 8/9 Rightfully cancelled.
WestJet come Sunday have ground all international flights.

My spring break vacation was cancelled (Westjet, USA travel).
Oliver just got cancelled... bummed, love that race.
Just waiting for my May race to be cancelled (USA).
At this point I'm beginning to doubt whether things will be safe to fly in the summer to Europe... which would end my entire race season.

Crazy dangerous times.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
So where is USAT in all of this? Have they issued specific guidance to RDs? And seriously, for the first time I would think there was some value to USAT if they took member fees and used them to provide support to RDs that have to cancel.

I looked on their web page this morning. All USAT has on Covid19 is a March 5 statement, "we're monitoring...", some links to CDC, and announcements about postponements for Collegiate Club & High School National Championships and Sarasota-Bradenton ITU Triathlon & Paratriathlon World Cups. Nothing specific on local races.

In contrast, USA Cycling suspended permits on all events through April 5, and recommended cancellation of all sanctioned events immediately. They have also provided webinars and specific guidance to promoters, etc.

At the very least, I'm surprised the USAT underwriter is OK with USAT sanctioned events moving forward in the face of multiple recommendations against such gatherings. Will the waiver protect USAT when there is a cluster outbreak that can be traced back to a USAT sanctioned event?

Current guidance was published on 13 MAR: https://www.teamusa.org/...n-on-the-Coronavirus

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much of an update, "USA Triathlon continues to monitor the situation surrounding COVID-19...."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Not much of an update, "USA Triathlon continues to monitor the situation surrounding COVID-19...."

You seem to have missed where they postponed Collegiate and high school club nationals.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 17, 20 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I did see that. Still nothing on local races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Actually I did see that. Still nothing on local races.

Even if the NGB doesn't make the call to suspend all competition (which is coming down the pipe of course), every state's guidance likely shuts down everything.

USAT is likely working with the insurer right now and will have an update this week. There's no reason to jump in and make updates every day, that is not their role. That just clogs the pipe.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 17, 20 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to pile on but there is so much perspective lost in this thread it's not even funny. OP might want to get a clue as to what is actually going on in the world.

I went to the grocery to pick up a few items at lunch and the place was near capacity and littered with empty shelves. Normal people are worried about food supplies not about signing up for local triathlons.

Gyms are being closed by the goverment e vfc everywhere. If this keeps up we'll all be at race weight without the training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea -- I'm fortunate financially so I went ahead and signed up for a race in late July, Tri at the Grove in Oregon. RD is a great guy who does this for the fun of it. If the race doesn't happen, I'll be signed up for another of their races. (Actually I registered my 10-year-old.) Or next year.

I might sign up for others in the fall. Good luck all out there ...
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. If this is keeping people up at night...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I hate to pile on but there is so much perspective lost in this thread it's not even funny. OP might want to get a clue as to what is actually going on in the world.

I went to the grocery to pick up a few items at lunch and the place was near capacity and littered with empty shelves. Normal people are worried about food supplies not about signing up for local triathlons.

Gyms are being closed by the goverment e vfc everywhere. If this keeps up we'll all be at race weight without the training.

Well we are in a triathlon forum and race directors do need revenue just to pay for their groceries, so it's not like this thread nor this forum is oblivious to what is going on. I am paying my full company of employees on zero revenue and shut down the office, so its not like I am not supporting the fight against it and also trying to be compassionate towards people. In posting this the topic of this this thread, even if one person pays an entry fee to his/her local race director, who in the past has been kind to said athlete by putting on a race, then its a win in terms of helping someone else who needs our help now.

So if you want to come on a triathlon forum and complain about triathletes trying to help others in the sport, then I really can't help you if you feel frustrated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next