Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a standard q-factor ratio?
Quote | Reply
First, how is q-factor measured? Outside of crank arm at spindle to outside of crank arm at spindle? And is there a standard or optimal ratio between q-factor and another measurement (such as hip bone width)?

I'm thinking my q-factor might be a little narrow as I pronate a fair amount with my left foot while riding (it could be a 35 yr old ACL reconstruction - but thought maybe I may be compensating for too narrow a q-factor).
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a standard q-factor ratio? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Some folks will go with longer or shorter pedal spindles (Speedplays are available in a variety of lengths) to tune the fit, but 99% of people ride whatever is stock on their bike with no issues (not unusual for someone to have a road bike and a mountain bike with very different Q-factors).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a standard q-factor ratio? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently added 1 cm pedal extenders to my Trek SC and loved it. And then soon after, my Ultegra crank arm broke. Shimano's are two or three pieces bonded together, not one piece, so the extra torque from moving the lever out to the side tore them apart. Just a heads up if thread readers decide to go that route.

Shimano Ultegra cranks apparently do this on occasion, to plenty of people, no pedal extenders needed. It's happened to me a few years ago without pedal extenders as well.

I'm going back to a SRAM Force crank who's arms are one piece.

Question for the aero experts - It used to be thought that you want your front fork legs in close to the wheel as possible for better aerodynamics. But then we found moving the fork legs out from the front wheel actually helps wind pass through better. Could the same case be made for increasing the q-factor, which moves your legs away from the frame a tiny bit? We are seeing supercars like the newest Ford GT having huge vents through the body to let air pass through instead of pushing a pressure wave to make the air go around it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a standard q-factor ratio? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1cm? On each side or just one side?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a standard q-factor ratio? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 cm on each side. I have big feet (size 13) and it's nice not banging my heels into the chainstay anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see, that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I recently added 1 cm pedal extenders to my Trek SC and loved it. And then soon after, my Ultegra crank arm broke. Shimano's are two or three pieces bonded together, not one piece, so the extra torque from moving the lever out to the side tore them apart. Just a heads up if thread readers decide to go that route.

Shimano Ultegra cranks apparently do this on occasion, to plenty of people, no pedal extenders needed. It's happened to me a few years ago without pedal extenders as well.

I'm going back to a SRAM Force crank who's arms are one piece.

Question for the aero experts - It used to be thought that you want your front fork legs in close to the wheel as possible for better aerodynamics. But then we found moving the fork legs out from the front wheel actually helps wind pass through better. Could the same case be made for increasing the q-factor, which moves your legs away from the frame a tiny bit? We are seeing supercars like the newest Ford GT having huge vents through the body to let air pass through instead of pushing a pressure wave to make the air go around it.

Knees in is much better aerodynamically. I recall a pro rider who pedaled knees out testing 40W lower with knees near the top tube.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a standard q-factor ratio? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Knees in is much better aerodynamically. I recall a pro rider who pedaled knees out testing 40W lower with knees near the top tube.

True, but I'm looking at legs still being vertical, not knees splayed out or in. What you're talking about is more like the Lionel Sanders knees out and I wouldn't pedal like that even if I had to. Yikes.
Quote Reply