Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live on a lake... So swim is covered... I may actually have a shot this year of swimming well relative to everyone else. That is of course, assuming nobody else is training.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if Kona even happens, you would think so being so far out, but no one really knows..... maybe come Sept this thread moves to: I got my Kona spot but will it roll over.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are stuck in your small home with no treadmill and no pool and no gym and you NEED to train for Kona,just ask yourself..

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
I live on a lake... So swim is covered... I may actually have a shot this year of swimming well relative to everyone else. That is of course, assuming nobody else is training.

Doubtful, at least for me. I’ll probably be work from home for the next two months give or take and that gives me an extra couple hours a day with not needing to get ready for work and drive into the office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure but Kona might be allocating those cancelled IM KQ slots over to certain 70.3 race AG winners. Check out the FAQ section.

https://www.ironman.com/...a-blue-ridge-connect

What do you think? Eagleman was once a KQ qualifying race back in the day...
Last edited by: Danigirl: Mar 17, 20 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [Danigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Columbia was a qualifying race back in the day. Maybe we'll revert all the way to those days and they can start giving Kona slots from 5150s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danigirl wrote:
Not sure but Kona might be allocating those cancelled IM KQ slots over to certain 70.3 race AG winners. Check out the FAQ section.

I think that is a bad copy and paste job. Only because the phrasing is inconsistent from section to section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danigirl wrote:

I disagree partially, but you raise a very valid point and solution.

Given the current scenario of races cancelled into May, perhaps beyond, surely it is more likely that IM will simply reallocate those Kona slots to the remaining available races prior to cut off.
So this will include the 70.3 races and likely fill up Kona with whatever 70.3 and IM races they can in the given racing period.

I think this may be the most practical solution.

The alternative would be for the remaining IM races to double/triple/quadruple/multiply their given Kona slot allocations.

Let's see whichever option they go with.
My money would actually be on both...

Either way, they will have to wait until proper social distancing has taken effect and the virus is contained.
Seems many countries are still ignorant to this and have yet to go through a massive increase before this will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree I do think we see Kona spots in 70.3 races.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, probably too early still.
I’d like to see slots allocated to full IM’s only.
It’s never, ever made sense to me to give slots to Kona from a half, or back in the day, a Olympic distance. Lots of racers can’ rock a half but fall apart miserably at the full distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [hrynkow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hrynkow wrote:
Maybe go back to some previous races to add spots haha!!! I missed KQ by one place so I'd really like that idea!!!

I agree with this 1) because I'm in the same exact position, and 2) it seems way more fair than a random drawing. I despise that idea even though I'd be in some of those drawings.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
If you are stuck in your small home with no treadmill and no pool and no gym and you NEED to train for Kona,just ask yourself..

lol

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on this situation? Are we thinking kona will go ahead and if so how will the slots be allocated?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [Clintred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have to consider changing the date this year or consider having a two day race 2021 to cater for extra qualifications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
Any updates on this situation? Are we thinking kona will go ahead and if so how will the slots be allocated?

Does it also mean that the last qualifying events for both Kona and 70.3 worlds will be held much closer to these? I may be wrong but the last event offering Taupo slots is 70.3 Victoria rescheduled on August 9, after that the slots are for St George. It basically means that the qualifying window for Taupo would be end June/early July (if the season really resumes then, which is not sure at all) to early August

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the unlikely best case scenario of Ironman racing restarting Sept/Oct, my money’s on Kona slipping to 2021 making it a 2 Kona year.

Possibly using the 70.3 slot and sacrificing the 70.3 race if 3 races in a year is a no go.

Whilst the race is unpopular usually after several months of near shutdown the Islands will need visitors to return and an early 2021 Kona may help that.

Strictly best case scenario though and I find it difficult to see things being sufficiently over the worst to be staging mass participation events and international travel taking place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:

No chance. No-one knows what is going to happen, but in Australia there will be a long ban on international flights. This virus will be horrendous for every countries economy, I can't see many countries wanting to open their borders until we have a vaccine and that will be (according to experts) up to 18 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Clintred wrote:

No chance. No-one knows what is going to happen, but in Australia there will be a long ban on international flights. This virus will be horrendous for every countries economy, I can't see many countries wanting to open their borders until we have a vaccine and that will be (according to experts) up to 18 months.

Yep,after the Australian Prime Ministers press conference tonight I'd say we are definitely in it for the long haul and it would need to be a dramatic and miraculous turnaround for anything to change.The fact that the new, boosted Jobseeker payments (social security payments for the Yanks here) have been planned for six months before a review shows that the government sees this thing going well into late in the year.

Kona will not happen and the triathlon year should just be cancelled.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Mar 24, 20 3:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honu is rescheduled to August and is offering Kona and Taupo slots for 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dasOlind wrote:

I think it’s way over the top optimistic to think races rescheduled to August are actually going to happen in August. Seems ridiculous given what’s going on and how long the effects will be.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Qualifying this year [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
dasOlind wrote:

I think it’s way over the top optimistic to think races rescheduled to August are actually going to happen in August. Seems ridiculous given what’s going on and how long the effects will be.

Is WTC just in denial then or what? It seems like there are two diverging schools of thought on this:
1. Things will be back to normal in a couple weeks/months.
2. 2020 is over with, just accept it.

As athletes (although it seems silly to even consider myself an athlete anymore) we need some predictability about races otherwise we make our own predictability by just pulling out, right?
Quote Reply

Prev Next