Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week?
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

I just want to drop a collective note to see how everyone's doing? I'm ok. Im surprisingly calm in the middle of a storm. I'm mostly worried about my people and trying to think about what the best use of my energy is.

The NYC half marathon has been cancelled, so I'm trying to find some clarity on what to do this weekend. Think I'm going to run the shit out of 13.1 miles at some point this weekend anyway.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week? [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing pretty good. I organized a Pi day at work, so I'm currently buzzing on too much sugar (still worth it).

Everything is "status quo" here with regards to work/school/daycare. That could all change quickly, so I'm trying to be ready while not obsessing (not an easy balance). My 8 year old has some idea of the seriousness of the situation - we need to not watch the news with him around anymore. He asked me this morning "if Canmore is in Canada", as we are heading there for spring break with extended family. I told him that it was, we are allowed to go and I'm still excited about the trip. The three year old declared to me "friends don't touch each other and hug", so daycare is working with them as well.

They are both sick of the reminders to wash their hands.

The good news is my husband and I both have some flexibility to work from home and I have lots of leave (sick/vacation) should I need it. So not worrying about my job or money is a big relief - certainly not the case for many people.

Take care of yourselves. I'm hoping they don't close the rec centers - swimming has been my go to mental/physical de-stressor, I'll be sad if it goes away.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week? [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also doing okay. My university told us on Thursday morning that we would be doing the online class thing for the two weeks following spring break (which is next week). That felt pretty stressful yesterday, but now I have a plan in place and feel a lot better about it.

I'm over-the-moon grateful that the gym/pool are still open.

Mostly I'd say I'm confused about how panicked (or not) I should be.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Mar 13, 20 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you have a good run BingTri! Dr TC - I feel you on the confusion!

We are trying to carry on as normal within the constraints presented. It's tough when you go to a grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner and everyone around you has trolleys full like the apocalypse has hit and the shelves are bare.

We have changed some travel plans. It was internal to Canada but it was still causing me a lot of anxiety for various reasons which I won't bore you with.

Training wise: the pools are all shut down until April 5th; parkrun has been cancelled. I can still bike and run, but the general uncertainty is affecting my motivation and focus so yesterday's 3h30m bike ride was a real mental challenge.

So that's where we are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning, Ladies! Happy....::checks notes:: oh shit, Saturday.

I'm in SoCal for training. Which has been a bit stressful but none of my parameters meet criteria for shutting me down and locking me up for now. I've had an insane week (see above, I'm in SoCal!) and we have a family emergency going on on top of everything, and if anything happens to send us to that impending funeral and family gathering, I am worried that too many restrictions will prevent us from rallying with family when we'll most need it.

With everything going on, I still have to physically go to work. Which I'm not thrilled about, because we have not been afforded any extra protections against anything. But KOKO I guess. The region kind of shut down all the fun things while I was mid-transit on Thursday, so no swim, no concerts, grocery store shelves are empty, and no races until the end of May now due to cancellations.

Sending love to everyone who has been displaced and affected by all of this, I'm glad all of us are reasonable and competent people, and it sucks to not have concrete information and a plan set in place by the powers that be. If anyone wants a humorous story, I'll regale you with the tale of my commute to my training on a bike in the pouring effing rain.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week? [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always up for humour, even more so these days!

Sorry to hear about the family emergency :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Mostly I'd say I'm confused about how panicked (or not) I should be.

As an expert on infectious disease but not an expert on human population dynamics, I would say you should not be panicked, at all. Most of us are in healthy demographics that don’t fit the bill for getting brutally sick, but we do fit the bill for being hermit crab shells for the virus. So in general, don’t put yourself in situations with a lot of people present, don’t visit aging or immune compromised people if you’ve been public-facing, and for fucks sake the virus doesn’t make you shit your brains out so only take what you need at the store.

That all said, my faith in humanity sucks and I believe our situation is much worse because we have a dearth of testing ability. And people who are uneducated and make up their own stories for the situation are dangerous. So use common sense and teach common sense where you can.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week? [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so over this f'ing virus. I HATE working from home in a normal situation, but I have a tornado damaged house and no matter what, the dust and dirt come in since it looks like a war zone outside my back door. And everywhere I go, the smell of chemicals pretty much throws me into asthma coughing. Not to mention trying to buy crap to replenish my refrigerator and freezer because I had to throw everything (except the beer, hard cheese and champagne) out due to no electricity for 7 days. It killed me to throw the $30/made only one time per year cheese out.

Signed, cranky clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply and expertise.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry about the family emergency.

Quote Reply
Re: Mid-Week Check in! How are you and how is your week? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a week clm! Yeesh. Argh. I don't even know what more to say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second wanting a funny story!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power, panic shopping is now a step-counting activity. Six stores later, still no toilet paper, but I did find paper towels at Target and the almost last 12-pack of Kleenex at Sam's Club.

Seeing no milk, apple juice, peanut butter, hamburger, bananas, or potatoes to buy is quite disconcerting. I am surrounded by children in Salt Lake City, Utah, where families are frequently large and childhood / infant hunger and diaper shortage is an immediate reality for the least prepared.

That my pool is closed until further notice is a minor inconvenience compared to the burden of others at this point. I am beyond angry that February's hoax has become March's emergency.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all. I hope you are getting through the week OK.

I picked a helluva week to start a new job. All the stress caught up with me and I slept for 10 hours last night. It was a good week, my new team is great so far and I think I will really enjoy the work, but such a big life change is always hard. I don't know yet if I even have the ability to work from home next week.

The virus really started to pick up steam today in Michigan and it's all pretty surreal. The governor closed all k-12 school for three weeks, colleges are all online, pretty much all public gatherings have been canceled, even CHURCH is canceled, which I never would have thought. We have been doing some shopping and stocking up, nothing too crazy, but making sure we have an extra 1-2 weeks of food in case we get quarantined or sick and can't get out. My husband did have luck finding toilet paper at Home Depot, of all places. The "supplies" he bought also included bacon and beer, which I thought was hilarious. I have a large supply of wine as well!

I've been solo running and trainer riding but I think I'm going to stay away from the gym. I've been under so much stress even getting an hour ride or run in is an accomplishment. PT and weights and extra stuff is just going to have to wait. And to add to everything, one of our dogs twisted or sprained her ankle or whatever the dog equivalent is. She is feeling better now but at the time it was like, WHAT ELSE.

CLM, I am thinking of you. First the tornado, now this. Sheesh.

If we do all get our races canceled on us, we should pick a day and do them virtually. We can create a medal graphic to print out. =)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
As an expert on infectious disease but not an expert on human population dynamics, I would say you should not be panicked, at all.

I'm not panicked. I'm scared and worried. On Friday I picked up my 78 y/o mother with multiple chronic health conditions from her elderly apartment complex. She finally agreed to come stay with us. No virus precautions at the complex, and it's borders are quite porous so I'm not sure how effective they would be. It was unclear how much longer her aide could continue to come on a daily basis, and we were quite concerned that her living situation could deteriorate pretty quickly.

We don't really have a spot for her so for now she's parked in my popup camper with a temporary toilet. The portajohn gets delivered tomorrow. She still has to come inside our house for showers, but we've got a separate bathroom for her. We're doing our best to impose a 14-day quarantine, so that she doesn't give us the virus, or worse, we give it to her.

I've been following this for several months for work. Last week I had to help develop an estimate of how many of our healthcare workers were likely to die from the virus. :-(

I understand just how serious it is. And it was totally predictable. And we had time to prepare. And we didn't. And I feel fairly certain our world will be quite different after this.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply