Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Democracy breaking out all over!
Quote | Reply
"JERUSALEM, Feb. 14 — The United States and Israel are discussing ways to destabilize the Palestinian government so that newly elected Hamas officials will fail and elections will be called again, according to Israeli officials and Western diplomats. The intention is to starve the Palestinian Authority of money and international connections to the point where, some months from now, its president, Mahmoud Abbas, is compelled to call a new election. The hope is that Palestinians will be so unhappy with life under Hamas that they will return to office a reformed and chastened Fatah movement."

"CAIRO, Feb. 13 — President Hosni Mubarak has moved to postpone for two years local elections that were scheduled for April, turning away from a promise made during his recent presidential race to promote democratic practices, Egyptian analysts and political leaders said Monday. Thousands of local council positions were to be on the ballot.

The move, which raised some concerns in the American administration, was widely seen as an effort to preserve the governing National Democratic Party's monopoly on power at a time when its grip has begun to falter.

It was also seen as an effort to block the banned Muslim Brotherhood, which made unprecedented gains in recent parliamentary elections, from promoting an independent candidate for president in 2011."

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Democracy breaking out all over! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it's pretty obvious that we know what's best for the world and those people should be thankful they have us to show them the way to live. After all, can't they see the great things we are doing in Iraq? How could they not want that?

Let there be no mistake, countries that hate freedom are our enemies.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Democracy breaking out all over! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Democracy" is just a euphemism for unlimited mob rule, not an ideal that the US should be promoting either in the Middle East or anywhere else. Although the Administration's professed policy seeks to spread both "democracy" and "freedom" throughout the world, in reality the two are incompatible goals. If the will of the majority to trample over the rights of individuals is not constitutionally limited, freedom becomes impossible, particularly in countries where there is majority support for theocratic rule. But if the majority's will is limited, there is no longer true democracy.

As a first step toward a less muddled presentation of its foreign policy, the Administration should drop the "democracy" rhetoric entirely.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply