Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

? for physicians re:dehydration(kinda lengthy)
Quote | Reply
for anyone who makes it all the way through, thanks in advance.i'll try to hit the highlights only, i'm going to see my physician tomorrow, he was sick yesterday and today. this is just bugging the tar out of me.

now, the situation: flew back from overseas a few weeks ago, got back to the states on 5feb. over a 43hr period i had 3 hrs of poor sleep, on the plane, and was flying for 22 hrs. going over i slept on the plane fine, ate and drank fine, no jetlag going over. got home at noon on sun so i didn't want to sleep in the middle of the day so i stayed up till 7pm. woke up about 3am mon morn with cold shivers, sweating heavy, pounding headache. didn't get back to sleep till about 4am then slept till 9:30ish. woke to same conditions as 3am. figured it was dehydration so drank a lot of water throughout the day, ate well, had a headache and no energy all day. didn't leave the house, to sick.

went to bed about 9pm, woke up at 3am, same symptoms as the day prior. fell back asleep till about 5:30am, got up and went to the store to get some gatorade and orange juice. made it out of the house for few errands but came back feeling very fatigued. oh yeah, tue morn when i got up i felt like i'd been beat with a bat, i was sore all over. didn't eat much that day.
another reoccuring symptom all week is a feeling like my equilibrium is messed up. if i move my head real fast it's like 'whoa', it's not bad enough i'm going to fall over, but it's not right.

wed was better, but still had a little headache. was hoping to get a bike ride or swim in but still not close to 100% so figured i better give it one more day. ate and drank well.

thur was still better but still not good enough to workout. each day i'm still fatigued, and on occasion have rumblings in my stomach. mostly noise, no side affects(if you know what i mean.)

fri i'm still not good enough to workout, but it's the best i've felt all week. all i've drank all week is water, milk, o.j., gatorade. (there's significance to this)

sat i wake feeling slightly nauseous. which i've had occasional nauseous feelings all week. equilibrium still not right. for the last 2 days or so as the day goes on i feel better, but not great.

i have a coffee sun morn, (here is that significant thing to me.) that afternoon i feel the worst i've felt over the last 3 days or so. i put in a long day so by the time i go to bed sun nite i feel pretty crummy. mon morn don't feel great, but not tooooo bad. no coffee today.

tue morn don't feel to bad, still not 100% at all but i think i'm going to go for a short spin on my bike. it's hard to get moving but once i do i generally feel better.

again if you've made it this far thank you so much. and if you have made it this far any opinions? i've been dehydrated before, from exercise though, and after a few days i was back up and running. i think it's been more than dehydration and i'm going to the dr wed to have blood taken but was hoping for a professional opinion. the weather in north tx has been great and it's killing me not being able to get out on my bike.

thank you

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: ? for physicians re:dehydration(kinda lengthy) [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the flu. Headache, chills, sweating, sore all over. You were tired and crammed on an airplane with lots of other people.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no doc, but I am a mom. You're below-the-neck sick. Accordingly, you're grounded from the bike or any other form of working out until 24 hours after you feel better. I'd also write a note excusing you from work, lest you get sicker or, worse, infect everyone else in your office. Keep drinking plenty of fluids and eat sensibly.

I hope you feel better soon:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the world of International Travel. For me going East is worse than coming back West.

I experienced a lot of the same symptoms during my last trip to Asia, unfortunately had to keep working through it.

Recommendation would be to get sleep on the plane as soon as possible to get your clock flipped around. Lots of water, vitamins, etc. I did get a foot massage while I was there that I believe helped if your into pressure points and asian healing. After massage I woke up in middle of the night in a pool of sweat and wondering what the heck. Looking back I think it was my body releasing toxins.

Other helpful items that I have used are Airborne before, during, and after the flight as well as a sleep aid.

Good luck,
Quote Reply
Re: ? for physicians re:dehydration(kinda lengthy) [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking back I think it was my body releasing toxins.

I think you were just febrile.

Other helpful items that I have used are Airborne

Airborne is just an overhyped multi-vitamin. I wouldnt waste your money.

You could be correct on the febrile although I didn't have any of the other normal symptoms from flu. Just lack of appetite and afternoon tiredness. Everything else worked just fine.

As for Airborne I take it because it works for me. I'm sure there are many other alternatives but since I don't regularly take vitamins it's a short term possibly helpful solution for me.
Quote Reply
Re: ? for physicians re:dehydration(kinda lengthy) [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for Airborne I take it because it works for me. I'm sure there are many other alternatives but since I don't regularly take vitamins it's a short term possibly helpful solution for me.

That's cool. It's just really expensive for what it is (say, compared to a Walgreens brand multivitamin or zinc gluconate tablets/lozenges) and the ingredients don't really have any science behind it for prevention or treatment of colds.

thanks for everyones input, and concern. today, tue, i feel about 100% better. i went for a short ride today(amyCO i kept it real easy and short. thanks for the mom input, that's better than any dr i've ever found.) i've eaten well, no fatigue, none of the side effects i've had over the past week or so.

i think ya'll hit the nail on the head with the flu diagnosis. that didn't cross my mind till about the weekend. again thank you for your time.

jason

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply