Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cranklenght size
Quote | Reply
Hi
In this case I am not asking for help with the fit, if I do not get answers about what else happens when changing the cranklenght

I went from 170 to 165, and now I am using 5 months ago 155
If we remove the position from the spectrum.
What advantages and disadvantages does the change of levers have?

I still have doubts and I would like to see if in any of the answers I can solve them, I also do not want to guide the query, if it does not leave your thoughts, which are the ones that know most, more tests they did and with the indicated knowledge

In case the doubts have read enough posts that started with this topic in the forum, but many of them are confusing.

Very very thanks
Rafael
Quote Reply
Re: Cranklenght size [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power = Torque * angular velocity (P = T * w)

Torque = length * Force (T = l * F)

So Power = length * Force * angular velocity (P = l * F * w)

If you want to maintain the same power with a smaller crank, you need to either increase your spin, put more force on the pedals, or some combination of the two.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranklenght size [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But on the muscle issue that happens?
Is it more expense? for applying more force on the pedals?
If I know that if I have passed in x power, now it gives me a pain in the foot, this is an example, and I do not change the position of the cleats, it is surely more force on the pedal, but it also translates into more expense.
Bone at the time will I have more muscle expenditure? traveling at the same power?
Or with a little more cadence this equates?
I am having the same ftp, but I have doubts about the total final expense.
I am not dissatisfied, but I am in search of the minimum gains in the total of the day.

very very thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change crank length to help with fit.

10-15mm makes no difference other than helping with your position.

I ride 145mm on the TT bike and 170mm on all my other bikes. I can go between them with no issues.

The reason to go 145mm was to help with position, a smaller frame might have had a similar effect but custom cranks were cheaper!!

I ride a lot on the TT bike especially on the Turbo and my FTP is the same as my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it has any real effect on anything but fit. I think people are pretty good at unconsciously self-selecting their most comfortable pedal torque and cadence. If you reduce torque by shortening cranks, you will very likely end just up selecting higher gears when riding to end up at the same torque and cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranklenght size [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answers.
I have the feeling that I am doing a little more strength and in the course of time it feels.
I clarify that I understand that it is not magic just to put high numbers in the race, that magic is to go as fast as possible with the least possible power.
And layers that levers help that, maybe I still have time in them and that feeling goes away, or I get used to it
Thanks
Rafael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm basically 6' with long legs for my height and started with 170 on my first tri bike. I bought into the whole shorter crank length and went to 165 that immediately felt better. I experimented with 150 but struggled to generate power like before in a 70.3 and then settled on 160 that felt better riding in general than the 165. I rode the 160 for a few years and took me some time to realise that my races were a bit more hit or miss at times and I think going shorter I suffered more so over an IM distance. I trialled 155 in an IM during this period and it was a disaster for me. As I fatigued trying to maintain power with the shorter crank I struggled with.

I have since gone back to 165 and found it doesn't hinder my position but would affect a fluid pedal stroke if I went any longer. My power and ability to stay on top of a gear feels better and we will see how this season goes but I have never felt a better position in regard to pedalling efficiency. IM distance race in May so keen to see how it feels.

I personally think the longest crank that you can run for your position is the ultimate length. As I mentioned going shorter always felt amazing especially riding at most training ride pace but generating power and the associated fatigue was worse with longer distance races. There certainly is a drop off point for me and that may differ depending on what distance you are racing IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from 170 gradually down to 135 and back gradually to 165. I’m now at 165.

The biggest difference has been my pedal technique, and how that affects my calves.

I rode 145 and 135 cranks for over a year. My heel stays down...perhaps too much, and I seem not to use my calf muscles in the same way.

I went to 165s and I use more of my calf muscles and feet differently...my heel is not so low throughout the peddle stroke (though I’m not dramatically ankling).

My ftp is up about 10% on 165s but I can’t say whether the cranks have anything to do with that or if it’s training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 150mm cranks on my tt bike and 175 on my road. My ftp is identical on both bikes, in aero and upright. But, what is crucial is to adjust the bike fit for the different crank length. Seat height will change, pad stack will change, and seat tube angle and pad reach "may" change.

From a leverage point of view, you can compensate just by shifting to one tooth smaller cog. From a range of motion point of view, it is reduced somewhat, but with the proper fit changes you are still working within the same range (just a little smaller) so, it really doesn't change to biomechsmics or physiology.

Some people do find a sweet spot, personally. Ie they try very short and very long, and find somewhere in the middle that works best. I don't know if that's a result of not making all the needed fit changes or not. For me shortest was better, I saw no loss of power from my road position... So, I haven't hunted for anything longer in the middle. I had a professional fit after changing to the 150mm cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranklenght size [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I made all the necessary adjustments on the bike.
They may not be perfect, now I don't have someone in my country who knows, so it is from the time I am with you learning from everyone, and asking,
The position could say that I hold it for as long as it takes to apply the running power.
Go from a 54 qring chainring to a 50 qring monoplate.
I miss the 54 days of work with low cadence, or the days that I have wind in favor.
With 50 always in the cone, if I have a pass and it is a day with little wind.
The cadence has increased to me, but I control it to personal taste, I am to make the tests and the races to 84 85 of average cadence.
Now I feel that about 90 gives me the feeling of less strength.

My feeling is that I have to put a little more force on the pedal.
I'm not saying it's just the change in size, maybe something is wrong with the position
Anyway I have not had problems in the training scheduled by the coach. or keep the numbers.
What I do not know if it is more efficient to then run or not.
My coach doesn't like them, he says that less than 165 is already a muscular and metabolic change.
Anyway in what I put my bike I am not paying attention to him hahaha.

Maybe you should do two tests one with each lever and see what it feels like. or not give it importance and use it that way.
They are easy to change since I have the aldhu rotor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal experience was that the cranks felt "different" until I got the saddle height adjusted correctly. Once I got the saddle height right, my cadence returned to normal, and I couldn't "feel" the shortness anymore. So, if you can feel the difference, your position might still need some tweaking.

You could post a video of you pedaling in position here for review.

I have serious doubts about your coaches concern. As I said, I went from 175 to 150....thats 25mm vs your 15mm... Nearly double the change. Fwiw, I'm 6' (1.8m) tall, and have an 812mm inseam.

My run was not negatively effected off the bike. Year over year my run improved significantly (~40s/km) . I'm sure most of that was run fitness related, not due to crank changes. But, the point being I certainly did not get slower....to the contrary I was much faster the next year (same race) after the change from 175mm to 150mm.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 7, 20 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
My personal experience was that the cranks felt "different" until I got the saddle height adjusted correctly. Once I got the saddle height right, my cadence returned to normal, and I couldn't "feel" the shortness anymore. So, if you can feel the difference, your position might still need some tweaking.

You could post a video of you pedaling in position here for review.

I have serious doubts about your coaches concern. As I said, I went from 175 to 150....thats 25mm vs your 15mm... Nearly double the change. Fwiw, I'm 6' (1.8m) tall, and have an 812mm inseam.

My run was not negatively effected off the bike. Year over year my run improved significantly (~40s/km) . I'm sure most of that was run fitness related, not due to crank changes. But, the point being I certainly did not get slower....to the contrary I was much faster the next year (same race) after the change from 175mm to 150mm.

hello thanks for the message.
as I said before locally I have no one to help me, it's all remote and cheque in this forum.
Surely something for the position.
I used to use a little more aggressive yet.
Now I am looking to give it a little more air and find an intermediate point between comfort and power.
That's why I changed levers.
I'm 1.75 cm
Link to video, It's just now, today I play 150k in the morning, I have a bit annoying butt hahahaha
But hey, training is like that.

Link : https://drive.google.com/...x2YC4M5tt7xHveK/view

very thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So bad it went? hehehe there are no more answers?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fitting expert, so I was hoping one of them would comment. To me you seat looks a touch too high, your leg is almost completely straight at the bottom. Maybe by lower it by a cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm not a fitting expert, so I was hoping one of them would comment. To me you seat looks a touch too high, your leg is almost completely straight at the bottom. Maybe by lower it by a cm.
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
In the last training, increase the height a little to see what it felt like.
I will lower it again.
What else do you see?
Very very thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your elbows look a little far forward. The angle your upper arm makes with your torso looks a little open to me. But, that may get better when you drop the seat, also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Your elbows look a little far forward. The angle your upper arm makes with your torso looks a little open to me. But, that may get better when you drop the seat, also.

Thanks for the info.
Today I shorten the front and under the seat.
Thank you
Quote Reply