Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unplanned new bike help
Quote | Reply
I finally killed my Ceepo frame. After keeping it alive through two apparent failures, I have ejected a chain ring bolt through the chain stay. Not sure I can trust a repair down there, right next to the bottom bracket like that, so I need a replacement at the worst time to be shopping.

Right now I’m down to a few options...
found a 2013 P2 Frameset on eBay. Can swap over most components, Ultegra shifters/brakes, Aura Pro base bar, get a new crank and be done under $1000.

Or

2019 P3, these are running 2800 now. Appreciably better aero? Plus it’s new, so should be more reliable, plus R8000 Ultegra is better than 2011 Ultegra (not sure what the # was then).

Lastly

I found a 2013 Speed Concept 9.9, Dura Ace Di2. This would pair nicely in my stable with my Madone from similar vintage, Similar to the 2019 P2 in price.

Thoughts from the brain trust appreciated. Would be used for long course tri mostly, at least those are the A races.
Quote Reply
Re: Unplanned new bike help [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed concept for sure. Better storage integration, I'd take di2 over mechanical any day of the week, and faster frame. Somewhat harder to work on if that's an issue for you I guess, but I'd definitely go with that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check what generation the Di2 components are on the Speed Concept. You really want it to 9070 vs 7970. Shimano only released the e-tube system on Dura Ace (9070) in 2013 so I suspect many manufacturers were still speccing the older version. This older generation (7970) is not compatible with any of the newer parts and is potentially prone to water ingression issues (which is one reason they significantly changed things). It also means replacement parts are stupidly expensive so its something to keep in mind.

Similar to above Cervelo updated their frames in 2014 so the 2013 so you are just a generation out. All kind of marketing details were released in 2014 when the update happened but if I remember correctly the aero differences for the frame weren't that big. The update does give you more mounting bosses through which did pose some real-world challenges in the older model in terms of getting stuff on the bike. I would also have a quick look at the steerers in terms of compatibility with your stem/ bars. I think the 2013 Cervelo is 1' 1/8 but they have previously used tapered steers which would require a 1' stem. Ceepo may have done something similar as it wasn't uncommon at the time the bikes were made. This isn't a big issue but it may not be completely plug and play.

Personally I always air on the side of caution when buying used carbon bikes. There is always an element of uncertainty even if the bike has hardly been ridden as the worst kind of damage often happens as a result of transport.
Quote Reply
Re: Unplanned new bike help [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you!!!

Yep, I am always ultra careful when buying used carbon, the SC is from a bike shop in California, plus Ebay so I have some protection if it isn't as advertised.

When I bought the Ceepo, it was between it and a 2012 P2. I even duplicated the cockpit from the P2 on my Ceepo, so the 2013 is almost like turning back the clock on that purchase.

Thanks again for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought the Speed Concept. Figure that is a top notch frame, full setup, meets all the needs. Worst case if the 7970 causes issues, I can revert to mech or upgrade the whole thing, depending on if/when it happens.

Plus, solves the S-1 problem, since it will be much easier to find a frame for her, I’ll swap over my components onto a 51.

Thanks
Quote Reply