Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple watch cellular in the pool
Quote | Reply
Hi STers....
I have a job that requires a decent amount of on call work, to the point that I may need to be immediately available to take calls.
In the past when really important one of my coaches would hold my phone for me during swim training. These days, with 4 lanes and 40-50 swimmers, it is really too hard for my new coach.
I was just wondering whether anyone has experience using the Apple Watch Cellular version in the pool or open water for taking calls. I am not interested in it at all for sports monitoring, but just want to have the easy ability to know if I am needed and not to have to keep my phone at the end of the pool lane etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch cellular in the pool [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife has (had) a cellular version that I got specifically because we spend a fair amount of time floating in the pool and she has global clients who call at odd hours. It works pretty well - to the point on test calls with me that it isn't obvious she is on a watch vs a proper phone. I don't recommend it for running a conference call - but to answer and have a quick conversation it is more than acceptable. Noise canceling isn't great - so answering a call during a kick-set isn't practical.

I'm assuming you'll just see you got a call and jump out of the pool at the end of a lap/set?? Dropping anchor with a couple people on your toes doesn't seem like a very good way to make friends at masters...

FYI - after the cellular version died in a gravity attack - we replaced it with a non-cellular model 5 because the Bluetooth connectivity to her phone ( it works like a noisy earbud) also works well since our pool is about equal to the Bluetooth 10M range. The only thing she really gives up is being able to run/hike without a phone for Apple Music, podcasts and calls, but that is a pretty small sample size for her.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Apple watch cellular in the pool [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to go on call where I receive a text message to join a conference call and have a minute or two to join. I've had the apple watch for two years and found that it does better than my garmin at keeping a connection when in the water. Usually when I get to the end of the pool my phone is at, I'll "receive" the text message alert even if it came in at the other end. I haven't missed a call yet due to this.
Quote Reply