Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rim tape with Shimano wheels and latex tubes?
Quote | Reply
Do I need to use rim tape when I switch to latex tubes? It would seem the plastic strip would be sufficient. Thanks in advance.

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape with Shimano wheels and latex tubes? [alfaholic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you feel any rough spots?
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape with Shimano wheels and latex tubes? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it feels smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correction it is a little rough at the valve opening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably remove that blue rim strip and replace it with tape. I use Scotch 8896.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape with Shimano wheels and latex tubes? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be fine. The main issue with plastic rim strips is if they are too narrow (not the case with your wheels) and slide to one side (since they are not adhesive), exposing part of a spoke hole.

The ultrasonic welded area around the valve hole is not a problem, since there is also thicker latex/butyl there on the tube.

If you plan on changing to a new rim strip, I'd recommend tape (ex. Stan's rim tape). Super light, and low profile (easier to install tires). That's an upgrade vs. a requirement to run latex.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape with Shimano wheels and latex tubes? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll try it as they are. I don't think the latex tubes are that expensive, and if it doesn't work I'll buy some rim tape. Thanks for the pictures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfaholic wrote:
Maybe I'll try it as they are. I don't think the latex tubes are that expensive, and if it doesn't work I'll buy some rim tape. Thanks for the pictures.
They look good so I would keep them as is. Rim tape is more failure prone than those rim strips because it can shift side to side over a long time whereas rim strips won't do that. Also, keep in mind that rim tape failures are also very dangerous with butyl tubes so not really much difference there. When you put in the latex tubes, pull gently on the valve stem to seat the valve as you first put air in the tube. If you don't do this it might not seat properly and then it can fail right at the valve. i honestly think this is the source of many people's latex problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet another latex tube thread.

You couldn't make it up. pmsl.
Quote Reply