Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bont Vaypor Classic -- same aeroness as the Empires?
Quote | Reply
I've used Bonts for a long time. Currently I'm using the Bont Vaypor Classics (with the laces)...

Any reason I shouldn't cut the tongue out and use them as my tri shoes (like everyone does with the Giro Empires)?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Vaypor Classic -- same aeroness as the Empires? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the reason for doing this, or not doing this, to the Bonts are any different. But, the percentage of riders and triathletes that are cutting the tongues on their Giros is probably less than 1%. There are many equipment MODS you can read about on ST and decide for yourself whether they make sense for you. They present you with some very cool options. But, don't buy into the hype that because there is a thread with a bunch of people discussing it as an option that "everyone" is doing it. Personally, I would rather spend a bit more--see upcoming Velovetta shoes--or less, see Bontrager Ballista with BOA on heel as potential option--on dedicated tri shoes that are aero than trash a perfectly good road shoe right out of the gate and try to turn it into a tri shoe. But, others seem to love this MOD. Figure out what works for you.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 5, 20 10:25
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Vaypor Classic -- same aeroness as the Empires? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree with you re: "everyone." I forget my life is heavily influenced by the ST bubble.

Nevertheless, I was originally going to buy the Velovetta shoes, and really kind of want to hold out for them, but my first race is May 9th, and I don't believe he'll have production models out by then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless this is a KQ type of race, I think you be fine wearing pedestrian tri shoes in your first race.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Vaypor Classic -- same aeroness as the Empires? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have tri shoes. I have a single pair on Bonts. I sold my Bont tri shoes at the end of last season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear them. Put them on at your bike and run to bike mount in them. The time loss, if any, will be minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no issues keeping the tongue in my Empires. I just threw on some elastic laces and had no issues getting into them on the bike.

Maybe give that a shot first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The things that make the Empire aero don't apply to the Bont. Bonts are far wider due to the cup design and have a huge toe bumper. The only shared benefit from cutting the tongue and using elastic laces would be a few seconds saved in T1, and it would come at the expense of what I assume is a perfectly fine shoe.
Quote Reply