Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike
Quote | Reply
I'm getting my wife her first tri bike soon, and there's the (premium) option of going to a Di2 setup instead of Ultegra mechanical. I've never used an electronic system, always had (and been able to wrench on) mechanical systems.

That being said, she has concerns about reaching from the bull horns out to the extensions to shift; she likes the idea of having the buttons on the bull horns (can't say as I blame her for that one, it's pretty convenient).

I just want to get her what's going to be stable, trouble free, and give her the best riding experience.

Thoughts or opinions on the two options?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
I'm getting my wife her first tri bike soon, and there's the (premium) option of going to a Di2 setup instead of Ultegra mechanical. I've never used an electronic system, always had (and been able to wrench on) mechanical systems.

That being said, she has concerns about reaching from the bull horns out to the extensions to shift; she likes the idea of having the buttons on the bull horns (can't say as I blame her for that one, it's pretty convenient).

I just want to get her what's going to be stable, trouble free, and give her the best riding experience.

Thoughts or opinions on the two options?
If she's concerned about shifter placement, Di2 is a fantastic option. The main benefit of electronic on a TT/Tri bike (and to some degree bikes in general) is that you have light-action shift buttons that can be positioned anywhere, including in multiple places. A very common scheme is to stick shifters on both the extensions and the base bars: this way, you can shift without adjusting your posture while on the aerobars, and also shift while pedaling out of the saddle or cornering on the base bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 for the win
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 is awesome. It changes the way you ride, because shifts cost nothing. If you can afford it, it is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate di2 on road bikes, but it’s fantastic on tri bikes for the exact reason you mentioned. Makes going uphill a lot more tolerable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she wants the bells and whistles, give her the bells and whistles. Then when you want the next big thing for your bike, you have some leverage. Happy wife, happy life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m surprised mechanical group sets still exist to be honest. Not sure I can be convinced of a downside other than cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 for any day of the week ending with "day"

Also, there are alternatives to the standard bullhorn shifter, as one can also run the new climberswitches (SW-R9150) into junction boxes. A cheaper way of being able to shift from the bullhorn (assuming you have the R671 extension shifters).
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 4, 20 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
I hate di2 on road bikes, but it’s fantastic on tri bikes for the exact reason you mentioned. Makes going uphill a lot more tolerable

this!
me to
tt bike is best place for di2
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

....just curious why?

1st time I tried Di2 on a road bike (1st generation Di2)......lets just say I’d never buy mechanical again. I now have it on 3 bikes. I test road a bike last summer that had mechanical......and saying I hated it would be an understatement. Obviously personal taste can be different......such as Shimano vs Sram.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 for sure!!!!!!! Once you go Di2 you will never go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

....just curious why?

1st time I tried Di2 on a road bike (1st generation Di2)......lets just say I’d never buy mechanical again. I now have it on 3 bikes. I test road a bike last summer that had mechanical......and saying I hated it would be an understatement. Obviously personal taste can be different......such as Shimano vs Sram.

One should run Sram...

If one does not object to components of the drive train shearing off mid race

Had that happen to both a Red derailleur (snapped at the knuckle) and a Red shifter (shifter paddle sheared off). No weight saving is worth that trouble...
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2 on TT bike are made for each other
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:

I've gone back....
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

I've gone back....

What were the circumstances around your going back to mechanical, if you don't mind my asking?

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
If she wants the bells and whistles, give her the bells and whistles. Then when you want the next big thing for your bike, you have some leverage. Happy wife, happy life.

Roger that! :)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input, everyone! I was leaning toward the Di2, so thanks for all the positive feedback in that direction. I want her race experience to be the best it can be (she's new to the sport, only been at it since 2017).

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

I've gone back....

What were the circumstances around your going back to mechanical, if you don't mind my asking?

although I know it's super rare I did witness a couple of di2 failures that cost people their races. Obviously the same can happen with mechanical. But I felt like I could eliminate more of the uncertainty with a mechanical build and good pre-race maintenance. Also I like the simplicity of mechanical 1X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 all day
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

....just curious why?

I have two TT bikes (one mechanical and one SRAM Red) and two road bikes (1 mechanical and 1 Di2). I do not hate either; in fact, I like them both. If I were to limit my comparison to just road bikes, I would say that Di2 offers very little advantage over mechanical; and I will lean towards mechanical for my next road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra mechanical or Di2 on new bike [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Had that happen to both a Red derailleur (snapped at the knuckle) and a Red shifter (shifter paddle sheared off). No weight saving is worth that trouble...

Your misfortunes are isolated and not common. I've been on Sram red mechanical for over 10 years without a single issue. My riding groupies are also on Sram red without any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 for road bike is a margin upgrade (some may say it's not even that).

Di2 (with synchro shift) for TT bike is a game changer, and even more so for someone like your wife.
Quote Reply