Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one??
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

just checking in with this topic. We have a little one home, only couple of weeks old but I wanted to reach out to the crowd to learn about your guys experience with a jogger.

I'm a US resident, so products available within the US would be great.

So far, I found this
https://www.thule.com/.../multisport-trailers

Is this the way to go? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [Spoili007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We got a Chariot when I had my first kid (now have two) - we got the jogging and bike attachments. Chariot has since been acquired by Thule, but they have the same basic stuff. Pricey, but good quality.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [Spoili007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We went on Craiglist and found a barely used B.O.B. for less than half of what you find in stores. I use it all the time and it's great; started using when the boy was about 9mos old...he's just over 2 and still use it.

One note: If you're tall, make sure the stroller is tall enough. I'm 6'4" and wish the BOB was a bit taller...and it's one of the more adjustable one...some of them I tried, I'd basically have to run hunched over.

Finally, I've never used the Thule you linked, but if it's like most things: things that are "multipurpose" are never as good as dedicated things. If you don't plan on using it to bike as well as run, why not a Thule jogger.? I tried one and liked it...but they are $$$$$$; esp. if you can find a nearly new BOB on craigslist ;).
Last edited by: smartyiak: Mar 4, 20 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i picked up a used one of these on the forum. haven't been able to use it due to weather, but should be out with it soon. looks much better than push strollers (no matter how good they are)
https://kidrunners.com/
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smartyiak wrote:
We went on Craiglist and found a barely used B.O.B. for less than half of what you find in stores. I use it all the time and it's great; started using when the boy was about 9mos old...he's just over 2 and still use it.

One note: If you're tall, make sure the stroller is tall enough. I'm 6'4" and wish the BOB was a bit taller...and it's one of the more adjustable one...some of them I tried, I'd basically have to run hunched over.

x2 on buying a BOB Revolution. Ours is likely pushing >100 miles over the last 4 years between my wife and I and it's still going strong. Later models have an adjustable handlebar if you're tall called the BOB Flex. I'd avoid the BOB Ironman due to the front wheel being permanently locked which really limits it to running only.

Depending on where you live, you'll may be able to resell it when you're done for roughly what you've paid for it if you buy it used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purchased the Thule Urban Glide per a recommendation on this forum. It is the only stroller we have. We run with it and use it for day to day life and love it. Only issue we had was when I backed over it with my car and even then it held up well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to decide if you want a dedicated jogger or not.....as others have suggested. I went with the former choice and found the Baby Jogger Performance model to be a fantastic stroller. It's light, has large wheels, and the front wheel is fixed (this is key). Unfortunately, it's been discontinued for many years.....but my point is that you need to decide if you want a BOB (or BOB type stroller) or true running stroller (Phil and Teds Sub4). Many find that a Bob is fine/great/sufficient for their needs - but I'd argue that maybe they've not tried a true, fixed front wheel dedicated jogger. I've tried both and am obviously partial to the latter. Just my .02.

Spoili007 wrote:
Hi folks,

just checking in with this topic. We have a little one home, only couple of weeks old but I wanted to reach out to the crowd to learn about your guys experience with a jogger.

So far, I found this

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will NEVER run with a push stroller again...

This is a game changer here...https://kidrunners.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got this https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great even on trails, as long as they aren't super technical of course. But packed dirt, limerock, etc are fine. And plenty of adjustability for your hands to have it exactly where you want. Our little guy is 18mo. I think the first run, he was about 9mo or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a BOB Revolution Flex. The whole family loves it. We use it for running and as an everyday stroller. The front wheel can be locked or unlocked. My 1.5 year old will now climb in it because she wants to go for a ride.

Jogging - I guess you just run for an extended period of time
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3...Bob was also great for non-running, general use outdoors (parks, arboretum, zoo etc) .
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct (that Iā€™ve never tried a true front lock). You can lock the BOB front wheel. Can you elaborate on the benefits of a lock-only option front wheel versus the BOB, which allows for a locked or turning front-wheel position?
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still wondering how people enjoy running with a push stroller? Form goes to shit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the BOB group. We got the revolution and that's the only stroller we have owned. I started jogging with him when he was around 10 weeks old and we still use it now that he is 4 1/2 (the hills are too big for him to ride his pedal bike). He likes to get out and run with me sometimes, and we can have a nice chat while we are running (like 'Daddy, aren't you supposed to be running?' or 'Why did you slow down?'). When we travel and I can run on a flat path, he'll ride his pedal bike. Unfortunately this isn't always an option.

---
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome,
Thanks for the feedback!
Pulling the kid is not an option, I need to have the kido in front of me, otherwise I would worry to much.
I'm from Europe and we have lots of cycling paths where I would opt for the multi function. Honestly, I probably wouldn't do this here in the US. I'm meanwhile to scared myself to go on open roads without my mates or at dedicated cycling routes.
So than, BOB most likely it is. now, my question is Allterrain vs. Revolution. I do like the folding function on the Allterrain. Handbrake might be a little overkill imho
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOB šŸ‘
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOB. Didnā€™t test any others but it works like a charm!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What degrades with you form? My form is very similar except only one arm swinging. And without the stroller I would be running less in warmer weather because Iā€™m at home with my daughter all summer. Oh and is fun running with her because she loves it too!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Superjogger here. I have a pretty old-school one picked up for Ā£25 from eBay. Absolutely rock solid from 16 minute 5ks (below) to 20 mile group runs off-road.

Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [turboferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turboferret wrote:
Another vote for Superjogger here. I have a pretty old-school one picked up for Ā£25 from eBay. Absolutely rock solid from 16 minute 5ks (below) to 20 mile group runs off-road.

That's impressive! I managed a sub 39 10k when my son was around 45 pounds on a pretty hilly course. The downhills are crazy fast - I had a good chunk of time well under 5:00 pace on the downhill sections trying to simply hang on to our Chariot! The trick (a bit like bike racing) is to try carrying as much speed into the uphill sections as possible.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: baby/toddler jogger - WTB for running with the little one?? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
You are correct (that Iā€™ve never tried a true front lock). You can lock the BOB front wheel. Can you elaborate on the benefits of a lock-only option front wheel versus the BOB, which allows for a locked or turning front-wheel position?

We have the Thule Urbanglide 2 which has a similar lock/unlock front wheel. The big advantage of being able to unlock the wheel is that it turns it into a perfectly reasonable daily use stroller (i.e., the turning radius isn't the curve of a 400m track). With the wheel locked any tight turns require lifting the front wheel and pivoting on the back two. Totally fine for occasion adjusts while running (e.g., turning a street corner) but not something you want to deal with all the time if you're using it out and about.

The Thule went on a super stacked Amazon sale deal a while back (baby registry coupon + price matched REI + bumped to 15% cash back on the Prime card) which is why we got it (iirc it netted out to about $300). I really like it but also haven't compared it to any other joggers back to back.

Handbrake is of variable use depending on how hilly the area you are running in is. If it's not dead flat, I'd get one with a handbrake - a lot easier to slow it down than trying to pull it back yourself.
Last edited by: andrewjshults: Mar 5, 20 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoili007 wrote:
Hi folks,

So far, I found this

Thanks!

My boys are now 11 and 9, daughter 4. Got a BOB Ironman (only licensed equipment worth a crap) for our oldest and it's still in great shape. Now just sitting in basement. Need to unload it. But it was great for not only a running stroller but an everyday one (unless you are in tight crowds and just used an umbrella stroller).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Revolution also folds in half with no trouble, but the shocks on the Allterrain look more robust. The Allterrain also has nicer zipper pockets to hold stuff. We have the Revolution Pro with the hand break. It can be handy, but most of this time I use it because I have it not because I need it.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not like the BOB. Or more accurately, my daughter didn't like the BOB. It was too bumpy for her when she was little (especially with the carseat insert), and she never got over it. I got a single-seat Chariot to take her on bike rides, and I found that it was much better for running than the BOB. Its lower centre of gravity makes me feel much safer, and having the full enclosure helps in inclement weather.

I upgraded to a 2-seat Chariot when the second baby came, and have put hundreds of miles on it. I like to say that that stroller, combined with the generous Canadian parental leave is what got me to BQ. Totally a great choice, I definitely don't see how you're sacrificing anything over the BOB.