Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [jamie.pocock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about this later knowing that I eat 500-1000 more calories per day because of training. I am a vegetarian and have taken other steps to reduce my carbon footprint, but have kept a tiny bit of guilt about consuming more resources just for the sake of my hobby. I really appreciate the notes on training and racing locally. It'd be great if there were a list of eco friendly brands.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [jamie.pocock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One should just stop training if they want to be eco friendly. Needless burning of resources on food and kit
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
... and kit

The Taramahura do pretty well with Goodwill T-shirts, basketball shorts and shoes made from blown out tires [IF they wear shoes at all that day]

I don't need to buy bike jerseys anymore; I've found enough at the Thrift Store that I've actually got a collection now [collection = more than 10]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
... and kit

The Taramahura do pretty well with Goodwill T-shirts, basketball shorts and shoes made from blown out tires [IF they wear shoes at all that day]

I don't need to buy bike jerseys anymore; I've found enough at the Thrift Store that I've actually got a collection now [collection = more than 10]

Well I was talking all the stuff that you need.

Today I ran 11 miles. That's 1100 calories I need to eat. It's not eco-friendly cuz I just increased my calorie needs by 1/2 from 2300 to 3400. Yesterday I burned 1500 calories. This means more land and more fossil fuels burned in transporting this wasteful need for food.

I needed a bike, which uses resources.
I needed shoes.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

The only way to make this eco-friendly is to not do it. It's an inherently wasteful hobby. Even if everything was gotten 2nd hand. You're needlessly needing more food.

This is tongue in cheek to an extent, but true as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next