Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: March Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got in the Laguna Beach High School pool this morning. Heater is broken, so, about 72°F. Everyone complaining, but I’m loving it. Can’t complain when it’s the ONLY public pool open. Got in 2500 yards. When I got home, I received a message from a fellow swimmer that they closed that pool soon after I left. I have one possible pool left. The ocean is too polluted from rain runoff with a chance to return to it Sunday, depends on the continuing rain situation. Other than that, I have Zwift, a chance to ride outside and run outside, and we just set up a WaterRower, like the president used in House of Cards, that was given to us... in perfect condition!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the pools are closed, but there has been a break in the rain, the water quality at the beach is good, so I got to swim in the ocean! Yay!

2.5km, just under an hour

The water was an epic 59F. I didn't want to get out! I did quite a bit of floating around before beaching.

The lifeguards are back on duty for the weekends and they were out paddling up and down the beach.

The rain returns tomorrow, so no more ocean until Wednesday, at the earliest.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
All the pools are closed, but there has been a break in the rain, the water quality at the beach is good, so I got to swim in the ocean! Yay!

2.5km, just under an hour

The water was an epic 59F. I didn't want to get out! I did quite a bit of floating around before beaching.

The lifeguards are back on duty for the weekends and they were out paddling up and down the beach.

The rain returns tomorrow, so no more ocean until Wednesday, at the earliest.

Thanks for posting about real swimming . Please keep posting so we can live vicariously. I have been running daily and will hit 80km tomorrow which is my most in 7 years but the rest of my training is in the tank. I have also been on the concept2 rowing erg everyday day and some days on the trainer. All in all major swim withdrawal and may not be able to swim again until mid June when open water season here begins again. This may be my longest swim hiatus since I did my first traithlon in 1985.

Between the isolation, no outdoor riding yet and no visit to my swim zen zone layered on top the business world uncertainty it's a tough time to live with no swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got to sneak in a 2700 yard ocean swim. 60° here and I wore my SwimRun wetsuit. A huge group showed up, but, noooo! We didn’t plan it 😜
More rain forecasted, so probably our last swim for a few days. GF decided to SUP today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legit!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took the plunge and swam in my neighborhood pool. Under the cover of darkness so that hopefully no one else gets this idea and I have to share (the pool lights are on all night though). Pool is ~20 yards long, no gutters, water temp 68-70F.

Roughly 6x400 in my swimrun wetsuit. Very choppy, did open turns all the time since a) in a wetsuit and b) no markings on the wall with a sharp concrete overhanging edge.
Overall felt like I had swam but I wouldn't call it a good session.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nowhere to swim now... PERIOD!
We had planned to swim Salt Creek-Strands yesterday as the only remaining open beach. Closed now. Parking lot closed off and temporary No Parking signs along the street. We still have a trail open near us. It's been pretty crowded, so we're a bit reluctant to use it. Wish I had a treadmill and VASA trainer. Or, we can follow Coach Mike Collins (NOVA Masters) Soup Can Swimming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
Took the plunge and swam in my neighborhood pool. Under the cover of darkness so that hopefully no one else gets this idea and I have to share (the pool lights are on all night though). Pool is ~20 yards long, no gutters, water temp 68-70F.

Roughly 6x400 in my swimrun wetsuit. Very choppy, did open turns all the time since a) in a wetsuit and b) no markings on the wall with a sharp concrete overhanging edge.

I had this crazy dream that I was doing a 10x100 fly session...

that's my chlorination for the day. I have run every day since the 100/100 other than 1 day. Luckily I am back to running to keep me sane. Did not buy the stretch chords yet. On concept 2 rowing machine 5 days out of 7 and just ordered some new rollers with more resistance. I will probably order the stretch chords soon, but right now, I am banking on June 10th as my next swim when I can bank on it being warm enough around here. That's ONLY 2.5 months away.

After 12 days of no swimming which is my longest break from swimming in something like 30 years (including when I was a triathlete vs primarily a slow swimmer recently) its my longest time out of the water in my adult life.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Optimal_Adrian wrote:

that's my chlorination for the day. I have run every day since the 100/100 other than 1 day. Luckily I am back to running to keep me sane. Did not buy the stretch chords yet. On concept 2 rowing machine 5 days out of 7 and just ordered some new rollers with more resistance. I will probably order the stretch chords soon, but right now, I am banking on June 10th as my next swim when I can bank on it being warm enough around here. That's ONLY 2.5 months away.

After 12 days of no swimming which is my longest break from swimming in something like 30 years (including when I was a triathlete vs primarily a slow swimmer recently) its my longest time out of the water in my adult life.

Dev

you MIGHT be able to swim then. Around here, all of the municipal and provincial parks are closed, which includes any of the swimmable lakes that I can think of. I'm hopeful that they'll be able to be reopened by June, but I won't put any money on that.

Since I'm working from home (and have to try to keep the kids entertained while doing so) last couple of days we've done a workout after lunchtime, stuck a kid-friendly workout on youtube on the TV and went at it with the 3 and 4 year old. Today they mutinied and we played with Lego at lunch instead.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Optimal_Adrian wrote:

Dev

you MIGHT be able to swim then. Around here, all of the municipal and provincial parks are closed, which includes any of the swimmable lakes that I can think of. I'm hopeful that they'll be able to be reopened by June, but I won't put any money on that.

Since I'm working from home (and have to try to keep the kids entertained while doing so) last couple of days we've done a workout after lunchtime, stuck a kid-friendly workout on youtube on the TV and went at it with the 3 and 4 year old. Today they mutinied and we played with Lego at lunch instead.

I have a solo spot on the Ottawa river (where it is 4km wide) that I can bike to in 15 minutes. Its not a spot anyone normally swims at, but its fine. Its got a rocky shoreline so its a bit of a pain getting in and out of, but its convenient to bike to and there are hardly any boats and jet skis there. Also I have friend with house on the river and can always use his back yard, but that spot is more like 50 min bike ride from my house.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread (We're CHLORINTINED) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missing swimming?

https://m.facebook.com/...162&id=665210161

Todd's a local coach in the area here (I swam with his brother in University).

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam! The barrier to open water swimming in the ocean has been the rain. We finally had a break in the rain enough to swim Thursday. It seemed like a good time to bust out the GoPro swim pontoon and capture the event.

It was windy as hell and the push was pretty strong, so it was work!

Total swim time: 52 minutes
Total distance: 1.4 miles

I can't wait to get back out there. So far, the beach is sparsely populated and is still open.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the video!
Haven't ventured back into the ocean yet. Some of our group has, at the only open beach (sort of) around. I guess the wind last night dropped the water temp down to 55-56. They're not complaining, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming Canada just cancelled the rest of the 2019/2020 season.

https://www.swimming.ca/...al-events-cancelled/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Love the video!
I guess the wind last night dropped the water temp down to 55-56.

Is that cold for you? That is our normal temp... actually a little warm for our world. We aren't allowed to complain.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, it's all about acclimation. Friends from Hawaii are cold at 75 degrees!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did ~2900 yards in the community pool today. I guess the secret is out that the water isn't very cold, because another swimmer showed up toward the end of my workout. She looked like a teenager (there is a club-owned indoor pool about a mile away that is closed), and kept her distance outside the fence until I was done, then went to the far side of the pool when I signaled i was done. I shouted across the pool to please not tell anyone the pool water felt great, but I think I got a 'whatever, old guy' shrug response. Hopefully we keep the pool use low so the HOA doesn't put a lock on the fence.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
Did ~2900 yards in the community pool today. I guess the secret is out that the water isn't very cold, because another swimmer showed up toward the end of my workout. She looked like a teenager (there is a club-owned indoor pool about a mile away that is closed), and kept her distance outside the fence until I was done, then went to the far side of the pool when I signaled i was done. I shouted across the pool to please not tell anyone the pool water felt great, but I think I got a 'whatever, old guy' shrug response. Hopefully we keep the pool use low so the HOA doesn't put a lock on the fence.

Well that is exciting. Keep swimming as much as you can on our behalf. I am on the concept2 rowing erg + running. Waiting for some slightly warmer weather but may go outside later today. It is 6C so not bad.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time back this morning, in the ocean at Corona Del Mar. It was just my GF and I, we were near nobody. In fact, I only saw one other swimmer out there. Did two laps in very calm water which came to 2400 yards. Water was about 55F. Comfy in a wetsuit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It helps to have a best friend who runs cattle at Lake San Antonio (home of Wildflower). So, after visiting with some cows and walking the land, I had a private lake swim and the conditions were perfect. Water temp 64F, no wind at 3:00 pm, and air temp of 70F. With the lake closed, I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the lake or within several miles (best friend excepted). Down at the dam the lake is around 1/2 mile wide, so logged ~1 mile in around 30 minutes. I spent a lot of time floating about and enjoying my time in the water.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haven't swum for two weeks on account of the pool being closed. Here are my totals for March
38,600 yds swum
437 mi biked
101.3 mi run

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended March with one more ocean swim. 1.5 miles. 54F water. 77F and sunny with a breeze.

Total for March: 43,000 yards, 12 hours 33 minutes

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply

Prev Next