Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me a good cheap cage
Quote | Reply
It’s probably well past time to get some new bottle cages. My current one is a specialized, forget the model but they called it a mountain cage when I bought it 10 years ago. BTS and seat tube seem to work fine but it’s become an almost daily occurrence to eject or almost eject my BTA.

I want something that’s strong and cheap. Deal hunting but so many choices on Amazon it’s almost impossible to sort it out.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
specialized ribcage.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had terrible luck with Specialized Ribcages, they were frequently brought back to the shop I worked at for snapping in one spot.

But LOVE the Zee cage. Use as a BTA, and both cages on my mtb.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fate wrote:
I've had terrible luck with Specialized Ribcages, they were frequently brought back to the shop I worked at for snapping in one spot.

No problem with Ribcages for me. Maybe I'm just lucky? I especially like the SWAT multi-tool attachment option.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me either. I have 4 of them for the tri bike. (2 BTS, 1 BTA that I'm no longer using, and 1 seattube for training). never had a problem.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that Tacx Ciro or Diva can't be beat. They are rock solid w/ firm grip, come in a ton of colors, are light, and are ~$15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
It’s probably well past time to get some new bottle cages. My current one is a specialized, forget the model but they called it a mountain cage when I bought it 10 years ago. BTS and seat tube seem to work fine but it’s become an almost daily occurrence to eject or almost eject my BTA.

I want something that’s strong and cheap. Deal hunting but so many choices on Amazon it’s almost impossible to sort it out.

If you want an Amazon cage the best thing to do is buy a Xlab Cage like the Gorilla. They are pricey but very good and secure. If you have a local Trek store you may be able to get a Trek Bat Cage which is a very nice blown plastic cage that is tough and inexpensive, although probably not as inexpensive as when I first started using them in the 2000s. Sadly I haven't bought a Bat Cage in years so I hope quality is still the same.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being a previous shop owner, and having test a huge number of different cages, Arundel makes the absolute best cage on the market. You will never loose a bottle with one of their cages, even in the behind the seat holders. They make several versions, all fantastic. Here is there price point model- lots of color options:
https://www.amazon.com/...aps%2C228&sr=8-5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
specialized rib cage can't be beat for the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile Design Kage for the win. Cheap, and crazy secure-- has an elastic band built in.

https://profile-design.com/.../cages/products/kage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

Also forgot to mention, if you want a really cheap hack, get a bungee-style hair elastic and loop it over the end.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went back to the antique aluminum cages from the last century. I can squeeze them, and make them as tight as I want, and no more bottle launching. Sometimes modern stuff isn’t always better.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fate wrote:

I have never had a problem with my Rib cages and I have beat the hell out of them. In one case I had to cut one off because they screw holding the cage got stripped (bad screw and not the cage) and the cage was a beast to cut through.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
If you want an Amazon cage the best thing to do is buy a Xlab Cage like the Gorilla. They are pricey but very good and secure. If you have a local Trek store you may be able to get a Trek Bat Cage which is a very nice blown plastic cage that is tough and inexpensive, although probably not as inexpensive as when I first started using them in the 2000s. Sadly I haven't bought a Bat Cage in years so I hope quality is still the same.
I second this... the Gorilla I recommend for BTA and the Gorilla XT for BTS. I forget what the grip strength is off the top of my head, but the xt is more than the non xt gorilla.

Beyond that a bottle with a great ridge is a helper here... I launched a *garbage design Camelback with the twisted ridges on a rough road yesterday out of my XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Being a previous shop owner, and having test a huge number of different cages, Arundel makes the absolute best cage on the market. You will never loose a bottle with one of their cages, even in the behind the seat holders. They make several versions, all fantastic. Here is there price point model- lots of color options:
https://www.amazon.com/...aps%2C228&sr=8-5

I love these cages on my road bike, but they were horrendous BTS. The only way I was able to keep BTS bottle in these was with a supplemental rubberbands or velcro.

+1 for old school aluminum cages, the only potential flaw is that on-course bottles may not fit well, but I just keep those in my BTA.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a good cheap cage [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I went back to the antique aluminum cages from the last century. I can squeeze them, and make them as tight as I want, and no more bottle launching. Sometimes modern stuff isn’t always better.

This is what I use for gravel.. crank them down a little so they grip the bottles tight, never lost a bottle even on some pretty rough descents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these guys - rock solid, cheap, zero bottles lost, can squeeze them or pull them open of needed, look good.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Serfas NC-150 nylon water bottle cages. They wrap all the way around the bottle and hold it tightly. They are also very cheap.

https://www.serfas.com/...s/nc-150-nylon-cage/
Quote Reply