Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your elbow pads are 3-4 inches too far forward :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on, now... Everyone knows his seat is too high. /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

I can't believe it took this long! And yes, I am under no illusions that my fit is a good one. I'm a semi-retired masters crit sprinter type and like most "roadies," my TT bike is ridden 5-10 times/year and the rest of the time it is used to dry kits in the garage.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This makes me hate that I spend almost all my time on the trainer.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Yes, there are lots of uses for drones I'm sure.

Bringing this back to why I initially posted the video, I do wonder if a drone like the Skydio2 could be useful for TT fits. If you have a nice deserted road, you could disable the height floor and have it fly very low (e.g. just a few feet above the ground) and provide not just the classic "profile" view but also any number of other angles.

I think many have had the experience of a fit (or a component thereof) seeming to work on the trainer in the fit studio but then not working so well IRL. Good drone footage would give fitters a look at how an athlete is functioning IRL on their bike.

I have a stretch of road (actually more like access path) very close to home that would be perfect for this purpose, but it's also too close to LAX to get FAA clearance for a drone flight (yes, even if the drone will never fly higher than 10 or 20 ft off the ground). But I think I know similar stretches further north and south and outside the FAA 5 mile zone that might work well. Need to do some location scouting.

Also thinking this thing would provide some wild footage in a crit - that's another upcoming test case.

I have one and have used it that way. It provides an interesting perspective. Pretty sure you were flying illegally there, sir. Drones can't fly over non-participating people or moving autos. Watch out for LA Sheriff - they'll get ya! ;-)

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
This makes me hate that I spend almost all my time on the trainer.
that aint no lie.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
violating about a bunch of FAA drone flying regulations, but cool video
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

I can't believe it took this long! And yes, I am under no illusions that my fit is a good one. I'm a semi-retired masters crit sprinter type and like most "roadies," my TT bike is ridden 5-10 times/year and the rest of the time it is used to dry kits in the garage.

You're forward relative to the so called "orthodox" FIST position, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for you. Having the arms more forward like this can be (but isn't necessarily) significantly more aero than a more vertical upper arm position. The proof is in the pudding, if you're comfortable and sustainable in this position and it's fast then it's not necessarily wrong. A lot of UK TTers ride like this. The most aero positions can sacrifice comfort somewhat so it's a tradeoff on what you can sustain vs. being fastest. I err on the side of what's fastest and am able to sustain it for a half IM. If I was going to do a full again I'd make some minor changes to enable the position to be more sustainable (armpads slightly up and a bit further apart).

Have you experimented with "turtling" and dropping your head? It's worth trying, but might require your arm pads to be a bit higher to do effectively.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is MSRP on that drone around $2200, or is my typically-weak Google-Fu failing me again?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to learn how to do this with my drone. Was reading about it in the manual but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'll try running with it first to keep it close to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See above. $999 for the drone with a battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Wow - that is impressive and intuitive functionality! Pretty awesome.
But illegal on a public road in most countries. I suspect that includes the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
This stretch of the PCH is what keeps me from ever leaving SoCal.

For us non locals, where is this? I'm heading back to Socal for BWR and wouldn't mind just driving this section.
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was shot roughly between Point Mugu and Sycamore Cove Beach. The rider was moving both northbound and southbound.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Behold the Future: Fit by Drone [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great video! Thank you very much for sharing this!
Quote Reply

Prev Next