Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Coronavirus [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Hi with the median time to recover 2 weeks and then 3 to 6 for severe cases, should we be seeing some recoveries hit the stats?

Also why are these not being reported?

Another problem with our failure to test is that we don’t know about recoveries. My family has been sick for about 10 days, and I think we’re at the end of it. Pain in chest, difficulty breathing, fever, fatigue, cough. No other symptoms. The severity of our symptoms was never worse than 5/10, so we were advised to stay home. We didn’t need medical attention so that was good advice. But testing would have been nice.

I really think it was covid-19, but how can I be sure? For peace of mind, I’d like to know. For knowing whether we really still contagious, I’d like to know. For volunteering and helping those in need, I’d like to know.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
JFC....WTF. Get ready for SARS-COV-3!

https://www.news.com.au/...b94fec6dae3e158ad0a1

Another perfect example of what China is really like. Everything is about money and saving face. They will keep doing what they've always done in terms of wet markets because to shut them down would be admitting they are the problem. They won't change so in my view, the rest of the world has to reconsider the reliance we have on China and the importing of their food and goods.

Why would they change? In the event of another break out, they can just lock down again and move on relatively unscathed. The chaos caused in the west by COVID is far more damaging then anything that happened in China, and that aligns with their long term goals of world dominance. They really have no reason to stop those markets based on what their regime wants to achieve.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Hi with the median time to recover 2 weeks and then 3 to 6 for severe cases, should we be seeing some recoveries hit the stats?

The John's Hopkins data is missing recovery data in most US States. Arizona has had several recoveries and none are in the JHU stats.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a huge opportunity. Is there anyone here who knows about the test, the complexity of making, conducting etc.

If we can ascertain who has it with ideally self administered or drive through (not sure of error from that approach). But:

1. I think I have it.
2. Tele Doctor.
3. Assess/order test.
4. Test scheduled or dropped of.
5. Record
6. Monitor with the tele doctor.
7. If within acceptable range of the symptoms, stay home, else go to next level.
8. From positives test again once symptoms subside, in those asymptomatic, test after the median

Anyway something like this. May build a picture of risk, recovery etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not necessarily to you, but in general.

Has anyone seen how far the swab has to be put into your nose? How many people do you think are going to want to do that at home? As bad as this is, I see the vast majority noping the f out as soon as they see what is necessary. I love the subreddit medizzy and all of it's gore, have no problems with needles, but sticking things up one's nose is a simple thing I have a hard time witnessing.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
stevie g wrote:

Another problem with our failure to test is that we don’t know about recoveries. My family has been sick for about 10 days, and I think we’re at the end of it. Pain in chest, difficulty breathing, fever, fatigue, cough. No other symptoms. The severity of our symptoms was never worse than 5/10, so we were advised to stay home. We didn’t need medical attention so that was good advice. But testing would have been nice.

I really think it was covid-19, but how can I be sure? For peace of mind, I’d like to know. For knowing whether we really still contagious, I’d like to know. For volunteering and helping those in need, I’d like to know.

The biggest thing I see when reading about it is the Countries that are testing is they are catching the ones who don't know they have it, to me this is by far more important as it stands to reason there is a volunteer out there who may be delivering food to seniors or whatever and no fault of their own doesn't know they have it, to me this is reprehensible, we have to start testing.
Last edited by: 50+: Mar 30, 20 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yup. I've said this from the very beginning. We had to get mass testing rolled out ASAP in early February, and our government failed.

It wasn't just a failure of individual leaders either. It was a failure of what our overall government set up has become in recent decades - a government that is virtually permanently focused on re-election, and where competent career bureaucrats are now seen by many as a bad thing.

Something that has just occured to me: the section of the population most vulnerable to this disease are old(er) people, especially old(er) men. The people most likely to vote for Trump are old(er) (white) males. Take Michigan as an example: Trump won that state in 2016 by a margin of less than 21,000 votes. Michigan's population of 10 million people is 78.2% white, with a total of 1.6 Million people over the age of 65. In a strange twist of fate within this whole hot mess, Trump's course of (in)action could very well end up reducing his voter base in a very literal sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
stevie g wrote:

The biggest thing I see when reading about it is the Countries that are testing is they are catching the ones who don't know they have it, to me this is by far more important as. it stands to reason there is a volunteer out there who may be delivering food to seniors or whatever and no fault of their own doesn't know they have it, to me this is reprehensible, we have to start testing.

And this is my biggest fear. If I were to have it, I could potentially be spreading it to hundreds of people 4-5 days/week while at work. That's a bit scary to think about. Made even worse is the amount of pollen we are dealing with due to the record rainfall so far this year. headaches, shortness of breath, sore throat, lethargy, etc could easily be written off to bad allergies.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
JFC....WTF. Get ready for SARS-COV-3!

https://www.news.com.au/...b94fec6dae3e158ad0a1

Another perfect example of what China is really like. Everything is about money and saving face. They will keep doing what they've always done in terms of wet markets because to shut them down would be admitting they are the problem. They won't change so in my view, the rest of the world has to reconsider the reliance we have on China and the importing of their food and goods.

-
Netherlands recalled hundreds of thousands of masks they had bought from China because they were faulty. I take it these are the same masks everyone is so upset that we can't get. I'm surprised that the faulty test kits and masks are not a bigger story, and I'd bet that first responders would be keen to know the country of origin of their PPE. Yet I have not heard many (just a few conservative lawmakers) talk of changing the level of reliance we have on China...even for the 90-95% of vaccines we import. Madness.

https://www.aljazeera.com/...200329141715106.html
Last edited by: dave_w: Mar 30, 20 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one kind of hit me right in the feels.

Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Apr 1, 20 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
China, you know...just went on a buying spree to cause worldwide shortages of PPE...

https://amp-news-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/...4087e4a9be9de210b97#

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
China, you know...just went on a buying spree to cause worldwide shortages of PPE...

They likely went on a buying spree not to cause worldwide shortages, but to rationally stockpile a supply for their medical personnel.

We should be jealous of the foresight.

Worldwide shortages are a byproduct of worldwide demand.

I don't quite get the pejoratives in the article:

"the Chinese government went on a global campaign to recruit Chinese-owned companies in foreign countries to raid stocks of the items"

Raid?

Yeah, I'd hope the U.S. right now is pressuring U.S. companies with production in foreign countries to keep a large fraction of supplies off the open market. This is precisely what the Defense Production Act is for.

Plenty of reasons to criticize China. Acting in rational self-interest isn't one of them.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 2, 20 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

https://amp-news-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/...4087e4a9be9de210b97#

i would tend to agree seeing as they haven't had any new domestic cases in what, over a week now? why the need for more PPE when they have it completely contained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
stevie g wrote:

The biggest thing I see when reading about it is the Countries that are testing is they are catching the ones who don't know they have it, to me this is by far more important as it stands to reason there is a volunteer out there who may be delivering food to seniors or whatever and no fault of their own doesn't know they have it, to me this is reprehensible, we have to start testing.

It seems to me it would also be a pretty big deal to know who has had it and recovered, is now immune, and therefore can work without fear of getting it or infecting others.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
It seems to me it would also be a pretty big deal to know who has had it and recovered, is now immune, and therefore can work without fear of getting it or infecting others.

Do we know this to be true? If so, any citations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Drew, one of the covid is no worse than the flu advocates and the darling of Trump-think just issued a mea culpa regarding his "loserthink". Hopefully only a matter of time before other Trumpers realize the grave error they are making.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Dr. Drew, one of the covid is no worse than the flu advocates and the darling of Trump-think just issued a mea culpa regarding his "loserthink". Hopefully only a matter of time before other Trumpers realize the grave error they are making.

That's good. But I still can't stand him for reasons having nothing to do with Trump or the coronavirus. I remember back in college I used to occasionally listen to Loveline on the radio with him and Adam Carolla. And it was kinda funny. But at some point Dr. Drew started praying on the suffering of others for his own profit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Nope. Politics is akin to religion, where beliefs Trump facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Coronavirus [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pandumbic via the Daily Show. Good times @ FoxNews
Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Apr 4, 20 16:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next